Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I almost died today! Need help/advice UPDATE...
I almost died today! Need help/advice UPDATE...
I almost died today from obstructive air way? apnea... This may get kinda long but please read and help me with this, Im litaraly afraid to go back to sleep!

Sunday oct. 14th 2012 around noon...
I woke to my heart racing out of my chest and I couldnt get a breath of air, none would come in or out. Im guessing I had been holding my breath in my sleep and had no idea how long I had been holding it but it felt like it was dry and stuck together in there if that make any sense, I tryed swallowing maybe to try to clear my throat but it just wouldnt happen... I stumbled to my feet trying to get to the sink for a drink of water and I could feel my self fading away in a sense, I dont know if I was literally dieing or if I was about to pass out from lack of air. I remember my body feeling weak cause I didnt really walk over to the sink cause my legs would almost no hold up my body weight completely, it was like they were about to give out or that I was about to collapse. I finally made it to the sink and I could barley hold myself up, I slouched over the sink and turned on the faucet and used my hands and got three small one hand full of water and barley was able to swallow it but thankfully it did go down, then I was able to take a couple small breaths and I thought I was gonna pass out in the floor right there and as thirsty as I thought I was all I knew is that I could breath if only just a lil and I needed to get back to the couch. So i staggered back to the couch with my heart still racing out of my chest and i collapsed on the couch and dont know if I felll asleep or passed out from lack of oxygen but thats all i remember, I woke up maybe a hour later and knew that I literally almost died... I spent the next eleven or so hours on the computer trying to figure out what had happened to me and im guessing from what I read that it was sleep apnea. Im scared to sleep... I wonder how close I came to dieing? I wonder what might have happed if I would have passed out and never made it to the sink for those small sips of water?

My wife lost one hundred pounds and had apnea but doesn't anymore and I was wondering what pressure setting would be good for me? to use the machine until I can see a doc and get a sleep study done? I have anxiety disorder and insomnia and im scared to sleep... This was a life changing day for me, after this happened around 2-3pm today I literally walked outside and looked at the changing leaves on the trees, smelled the air, cried and was thankful I was alive... This is not about getting a good nights sleep, this is about I dont want to die in the middle of the night before I can see a doc to help me with this when I got the machine right here...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I almost died today! Need help/advice
its best to see the doc asap or go to hospital emergency
lung and heart racing something have to be taken seriously
only sleep study can determine if you have sleep apnea or any other sleep disorder
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't be too sure it's just apnea. It could be any number of other serious medical conditions.

In particular, the not being able to breathe after waking up is odd.

I can't tell what pressure you need. If you're having some form of central apnea, you could make it worse with the wrong CPAP pressure.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes from what I read it is odd not to be able to breath after waking up... All I can think of is the my tongue and what ever else in there that obstructs the air flow got stuck back there maybe from dry mouth or what ever but if it can happen once it can happen again... Im gonna set the machine on auto function at 10cm max 15cm... My wifes was at 18cm and I couldn't stand it being on me, so im guessing some is better than none... Also im gonna see the doc today but im sure he cant do a sleep study today and give me a machine before I have to sleep again... I have insomnia and can stay awake for a long time especially when motivated like I was today but I cant stay awake for ever....
Post Reply Post Reply
A trip to the doctor seems necessary to rule out other problems. If he doesn't find out anything else, then by all means a sleep study is necessary to accurately diagnose and treat you correctly. CPAP therapy is difficult for many people to adjust to. If you really insist on using your wife's machine, I would suggest lowering the base number to 4 or 6. Otherwise, having not being a CPAP user, you'll probably freak at the initial pressure and not be able to sleep because of the force of the air.

See a doctor!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks EyesWideOpen, Adjusting is not gonna be a problem, I been wearing on and off for a few hours now and I have no problem with it... After what I went through yesterday I can see myself wearing one of these for the rest of my life with zero problems! I did move the the pressure down to 6cc and played with it to make sure it worked and sure enough it worked great! Once it "think"s your no breathing and or not responding to that pressure it moves it up and sometimes quite fast... Sorry if these sound rambling, I have only had 3-4 hours of sleep in a couple days...
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have the PRS1 Auto machine or the PRS1 60 Series Auto machine?

Take the water tank out before moving the machine. It should say something like 550 or 560 on the bottom of the blower unit. Take the water tank out before moving the machine.

If it's the 550, you can download SleepyHead and see if you're having apneas.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
its a philips reperonics a-flex
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2012, 05:20 AM)GwyNative Wrote: its a philips reperonics a-flex

There is a model 560 and a model 550 that meets that description. One will work with the free SleepyHead software and one won't.

Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GwyNative,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you need to see your Dr.
Be sure you mention all of the problems you have been having.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,844 13 minutes ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 145 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 809 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.