Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I am TOTALLY (and hopelessly) lost!
RE: I am TOTALLY (and hopelessly) lost!
hopefully you will be lucky & find the collar comfortable but it isn't really. still, I encourage you to tough it out if necessary. although I'd much rather not wear mine, it's the only way I've found to reduce my mouth leaks & oa clusters. bottom line is I can't pap without it & after a while I just got used to it. good luck! (just this morning I tried to doze without it & went right back to chipmunk cheeks & lip leaking.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I just wanted to say thank you for your candid post.  It made me feel so much better because I have been struggling.Great to see that I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2020, 02:16 AM)Jarm Wrote: I just wanted to say thank you for your candid post.  It made me feel so much better because I have been struggling.Great to see that I am not alone.

Tons of people struggle to get started, that's nothing to be embarrassed about.

I see that you're using a full face mask as well - you know, I have to wonder how many of the issues people have getting started is the full face.  To me it seems more difficult to get a consistent seal around the full periphery of your face, every place the seal contacts, than if you were using one of the smaller mask types.  I'm *super* happy with my choice to move to a ResMed N30i from the ResMed Mirage Activa LT.  The Activa is a nasal mask, but on the larger end, with way too much structure in front of your face.  The N30i seems a tiny wisp in comparison, but my numbers are as good if not better, and with no leaks unless I get into an odd sleeping position.  The difference is that there is less "stuff" on or around my face, the weight is negligible, and the surface area of the seal is an absolute minimum.

Of course, all of the above depends on being able to train yourself not to mouth breathe.  But that comes.  You know, the other day I *tried* to open my airway to let the CPAP blow out my mouth - to demonstrate something to my wife - and actually couldn't figure out how to do so... physically.  It was actual work trying to let it happen.  One *does* train oneself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey bro... 3 flex is where you need to be for sure as another said. Been on APAP since mid march.. can't handle flex below 3. Ramped up minimum pressure .5 c.m. H20 about every week from 4 to 8.5 and CA's not go away,alot less but still there enough to wake me through out the night, but OA's did go away. You're probably thinking... I have an APAP and it supposed to take care of events as they come in... to a point they do, however, your minimum pressure can prevent event before they happen. Personally I think APAP's are worthless. Second sleep study, BiPAP, will be managing CA's. Gotta be patient and let changes be gradual. Hang in there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Good day to all!  It's been just about two weeks since I posted my activity and if you don't mind I thought I would burn up a few bytes and relate my progress (or lack thereof, depending on how you look at it).    I did indeed heed the advice of those more learned than I and purchased a soft cervical collar, nothing fancy, just a basic collar from the local drug store.  I used it a few nights and I must agree with sheepless, comfortable it is not!  I made the supreme mistake of making two changes the same night.  I used the collar and went back to the mask with the silicone seal. My AHI changed little.  I have since gone back to my DME and discussed nasal pillows.  I guess given enough time I may get used to one of those but it would take LOTS of getting used to.  I opted for the N20i nasal mask.  My AHI's have still been all over the board.  I have had four nights in the last two weeks under the "magic number" of 5 with 2 of those nights being under three.  I have finally resigned myself to the fact I may never get under 5 consistently and therein lies my concern.  I am looking for consistency.   I would feel much better striving for AHI's under 5 if there were some consistency to what I do have.  One night is 6, the next is 16.  I just don't understand how things can vary so much with little or no variable input.  I have been using the N20i for a week now and the results aren't much different than the F20 with the exception of far fewer leaks.  I accepted a chin strap with the N20i but haven't utilized it yet.  I think that will be the next change beginning this evening.  I was not happy with the "comfort level" of the plain label SCC but I think I may just have to order one of the recommended brands from this board.  I will attempt the chin strap, then try a new SCC, possibly culminating with a combination of strap and SCC.  Thanks for looking, if no one objects I would love to report back in another couple of weeks with a "progress" report.  Other people have conquered this malady, there is no reason (with the assistance of this board because my RT is useless) I shouldn't be able to do the same.  I shall persevere!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is raising the volume of air it puts through the tube in response to both leaks and to what it thinks are obstructions, by far the largest event repeatedly turning up in evidence in your chart.  However, it CAN and does compensate for the leaks, yet it still records obstructions.  You must either find a different sleep position, neck support, or mask, or...raise your inspiratory pressure, possibly a combination of those.  Maybe what I'm seeing is that 'comfort' is sufficiently elusive to you that it interferes with good sleep.  It's possible that this is what we're down to...how you feel about your therapy, how much you are comfortable with the numbers rendered, and how you get on during the day.

Please don't act until some notable 'others' who are more savvy about this have had a chance to look at your latest results. If you go strictly by the industry's standards, your apnea is 'controlled'.
Post Reply Post Reply
Was the daily chart from a night when you wore the collar? I ask because the clustering was markedly reduced.

I'm glad you have a "can-do" attitude, and I want to put one more idea out there for you to consider. What would you think about using a pillow with a hump running along the bottom? They are designed to support the neck but might also help some with any chin-tucking you may be inclined to do.

An observation: the posted daily chart looks like one where (as you described earlier) you started out side-sleeping and then rolled onto your back. Think that might be true? If so, it would tell us that supine sleeping increases your likelihood of having obstructive events and leaks.

If you're interested in trying to train yourself to sleep on your sides, let us know. There are ways to work on that.
Post Reply Post Reply
The daily chart was using the nasal mask but no neck support. Yes, I do indeed begin each night on my side.  I have tried starting on the left side and my hand goes to "sleep".  I guess I'm "crushing" a nerve or something, then tried beginning on my right side, but I do agree it appears I roll to my back.  I say "it appears" because when I wake up, either from excessive leakage or a gentle nudge from my wife, I am typically on my side.

The SCC I purchased is just too stiff and rigid.  I feel sorry for anyone that must wear these constantly for whatever reason they have.  I have considered investing in the "Eliminator" after reading good reviews on the board.  Worst case scenario, I just don't like it and can't get comfortable.  Oh well, not the first time I've invested a few bucks in something I didn't care to use.  I have realized when laying on my side I tend to extend my head slightly back, thereby mimicking the results on the cervical collar.  I'm sure when I roll to the back my head drops to the "obstructive" position.  All the more reason to invest in an appliance to alleviate that condition. The pillow with the neck roll hump sound intriguing.  Where would one find such an item?  Is there a supplier number on the list that would carry this and is there a technical name for it?

As I noted in my last post, I'm not as concerned with the actual numbers regarding AHI. Yes, I would love to see them all under the "magic number", but I am more interested in addressing the consistency issue first.  After I determine what I need to do to achieve reasonable results night after night, then I can concentrate on how to bring the numbers down to an acceptable level.  I mean, I'm WAY better off than I was when all this started even if my numbers do get into the upper teens.  That's still lots better than the 71 the tech witnessed, although, one must question just how accurate that number is when it is determined in such a short period of time, basically resembling just a "snapshot" of actual sleeping habits.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go to Amazon and search with the phrase, "neck support pillow," you'll see lots of examples (plus a lot of goofy-looking stuff!).

About the Eliminator, I think it's out of production now, but you might be able to track one down somewhere. It's firm collar, but it's only a half-collar. I have one, and I can adjust it so that really only the chin end of my lower jaw is propped.

Let us know if/when you want to pursue the idea of staying off your back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay   I looked into some of that stuff. 

Thinking-about I'm thinking the "training" to not lay on my back might just be the best option.

Do you have a link to recommended suggestions available?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 277 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 368 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Lost Trust in CheckmeMax O2 Watch cmpman1974 1 311 10-05-2023, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
Question Newbie and using OSCAR - SUPER LOST and looking for advice DaveHirschler 26 2,084 08-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: DaveHirschler
  At a lost Sabee 6 676 03-23-2023, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Sabee
Gross [CPAP] Lost and Confused. Mycpapaccount 1 520 03-16-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Lost my data? [Resvent iBreeze auto] Catherine416 6 4,209 01-25-2022, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Catherine416

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.