I am 'anemic'. Any tips or ideas, thoughts?
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: I am 'anemic'. Any tips or ideas, thoughts?
According to Mayo Clinic, the side effects can be:

More common
1. Backache , groin, side, or muscle pain
2. chest pain
3. chills
4. dizziness
5. fainting
6. fast heartbeat
7. fever with increased sweating
8. flushing
9. headache
10. metallic taste
11. nausea or vomiting
12. numbness, pain, or tingling of hands or feet
13. pain or redness at injection site
14. redness of skin
15. skin rash or hives
16. swelling of mouth or throat
17. troubled breathing

More common
1. Abdominal or stomach pain
2. cramping (continuing) or soreness

Less common or rare
1. Double vision
2. general unwell feeling
3. weakness without feeling dizzy or faint

Less common or rare
1. Chest or throat pain, especially when swallowing
2. stools with signs of blood (red or black color)
01-13-2014 01:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Mild VS can be caused by a lot of things, and again, here your GP can give you better guidance than I can over the line, so I urge you to at least give him/her a call (why don't you have a third sex like we do in German? It makes it so much easier! Him/her is is clumsy, you can't say "it". Grrrr...).
Most likely, given all your regime and all you have gone through, that it is a cascade component of all that and should back off after a while, but it this is all the time, every time you stand, or continuing to present as it currently does after say a week or so, you HAVE to ask your GP.
01-13-2014 04:18 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

LOL my PCP is a 'he'.And, yes, I put in a call this morning as I (sadly) recreated it all last night for every bio break I took.

Short version is I am told it's all part of the anemia, worsened by the lung scaring (PEs), and should slowly improve as the anemia does. In other words, welcome to my new life...

As for the iron, I try hard not to read about 'possible' side effects, because then I will start getting them all it seems Tongue But with all my years taking NSAIDs, I didn't think taking the iron would bother me, and so far, it hasn't.

The swollen leg is almost normal in size and shape, still painful to the touch in some areas, and like a snake shedding it's skin, my leg is peeling like crazy.

I've gotta say though, with all the stuff I've been through over the years, I am really surprised how much I feel beat-up by this issue. In my mind it seems like a minor hiccup, but my body is acting like this was really bad.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 07:52 PM by Peter_C.)
01-13-2014 07:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Sex: Female

Red Wine is supposed to help. My mom was anemic as a young woman. When she was dating my Dad, my father's mom told her port wine in particular was good for it. My father's family worked in wineries. My mother's parents did not believe in consuming alcohol. My mother inquird with her doctor and he agreed it was a good remedy within reason of course. So her parents did not stand in the way of it. Consumption of it should be considered though when taking medications. And also care needs to be taken if diebetic.
01-13-2014 08:12 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(01-13-2014 07:51 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  But with all my years taking NSAIDs, I didn't think taking the iron would bother me, and so far, it hasn't.

I thought your dizzy spells could have been from the iron so you could ask your doc today.

Hope all this gets straightened out fast and you are back to feeling better
01-13-2014 08:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

NO BOOZE, NOT EVEN RED WINE! Forget beer, too, even if it American beer (read: water with p**s in it, so, so low in alcohol as to not get even a fly snookered, although it seems to work on Americans for some reason).

Sorry to be so firm, but with all the gunk you've been on and your current condition, alcohol of any form is really not a good idea at all. And the same goes for fruit juices - too much acid and sugar.

Side effects of taking iron if you are iron poor are usually rather mild, so I would not concentrate on that - most of the bother you are having is due to your current state, rather than any remedy. The side effects listed above are usually associated with the experience of being too low on iron or when there is an overdose of iron, neither is a risk you need to worry about.

As your doc (and I, in the previous post) said, it should back off over time. You have been through the ringer, my friend, and you will paying the piper for a while. Basically, everything is going through a major readjustment after being brought to the edge, and that can feel like hell.

Eat healthily - iron rich foods, so long as it is low in acid. Drink a goodly amount of water each day, rest as much as you can. Exercise, not only for the heart benefits, but also as a way of building up a sweat and clearing toxins from your system. Don't do detox diets, they are rubbish, no science behind it at all, and a lot of patent medicine - it can mess you up even worse. Stretch, exercise, and if your doc approves, take regular saunas - it helps to build up your immune system and will do a ton of good in about a dozen other ways. Continue on your meds regime, be patient and it will get better. Not much can be done about the lungs, I am afraid, but with exercise and inhalation therapy, you can make them more efficient - and speaking of which, breathe through your nose as much as possible - we know that air that has passed through the nose, besides being better filtered, also contains bits of stuff that actually increase the efficiency of your lungs to process oxygen. Its all a bit of a bibbledy bio-y, chemi-whemi sort of thing. And that is how we explain it to laymen.

Increased circulation will also help your arthritis, as will, as I said earlier, training to restore suppleness to the digits. Beyond that, and I know this sounds corny, but there is real science behind this, keeping up a positive attitude is something that can make a massive difference.

There are yeast preparations here that are very popular for low iron, you can buy them in liquid form in health food shops in the US, but I would check them with your pharmacist before taking them. Ask also if you can take glucosamine with minerals and calcium - if it is allowed, it will also help with your joints - today it is often combined with cod liver oil or seal oil (even better than cod liver oil) and has been shown to be effective in resolving or lessening joint pain and swelling.

Above all, don't lose heart - we may want to cut it out, and wish to avoid a lengthy search.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 09:17 PM by DocWils.)
01-13-2014 09:12 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

(01-13-2014 08:12 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote:  Red Wine is supposed to help. My mom was anemic as a young woman. When she was dating my Dad, my father's mom told her port wine in particular was good for it. My father's family worked in wineries. My mother's parents did not believe in consuming alcohol. My mother inquird with her doctor and he agreed it was a good remedy within reason of course. So her parents did not stand in the way of it. Consumption of it should be considered though when taking medications. And also care needs to be taken if diebetic.

Conflicts with both my Bystolic (heart med), and my pain meds - not even one beer or glass of wine a day for me. Thank you though for the idea - I've just too much going on it seems.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
01-14-2014 02:44 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

(01-13-2014 08:18 PM)me50 Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 07:51 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  But with all my years taking NSAIDs, I didn't think taking the iron would bother me, and so far, it hasn't.

I thought your dizzy spells could have been from the iron so you could ask your doc today.

Hope all this gets straightened out fast and you are back to feeling better

So much changing at the same time, so I have no idea what is doing what. Off two meds, on one new med (iron), and of course the condition 'anemia' - so, yes I called, and what I got back was the HR jumps, with the O2 desats - all have to do with the anemia. The iron pills are mainly a tummy type concern - which is usually not an issue for me.

The part I don't get, is if normal is "11.5-12.5", and I am only at '9.8', why not give me another pint and 'top me off'? The one pint (unit - proper term) I did get, raised me from '8.2' to '9.4' - so hy take the slow way? Gimme another jolt and I oughta be fine in 2-3 days, eh??

01-14-2014 02:49 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

(01-13-2014 09:12 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Above all, don't lose heart - we may want to cut it out, and wish to avoid a lengthy search.

Doctor humor - LOL - it's so funny at the wrong times Smile

Nope - heart DR made it clear to me years ago, better for me to get falling down drunk once in a blue moon, than to drink one beer a day. Course, any booze is lots of fun with Opioids and sleep apnea - how lucky to I feel, right?

FYI - Pain MGNT was not a lightly taken step, the Pain Doc, heart DR, and my PCP had a call about this (everybody knows everything), and frankly, it was a quality of life choice. I've been on and off various pain meds for 30+ years, and I have a history of following the rules. Once Medicare kicks in (July), the plan is to replace the right knee, and the left hip, and then taper me off and see what's what then. The plus side was my kidney stones last summer didn't really bother me at all Smile

Anyway, enough of beating a dead horse, I'm out of the hospital, they think they know what happened, and it seems I am sorta on the mend, and I guess it's just gonna take a bit longer than I expected to get back to *normal* - whatever that is on any given day.

Sidenote: My lovely wife found and ordered me my own special dinnerware - handles are a nice plastic, and bout 3" round - so much easier to hold.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 03:11 AM by Peter_C.)
01-14-2014 03:10 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Glad to hear the wife is on the case - that usually means everything will work out ;-) - first thing we learn in med school (after where the kidney is) is "never get in the way of the wife taking charge and fixing her man". (Unless it is my wife, who is so scarily unmedical to the point of being the anti-medicine that it is not funny - I mean, trying to put raw steak on a paper cut? Really? And diagnosing medical conditions based on the astrological sign? Honestly? (and no, she is not a doctor, but she DOES work for the Hard of Hearing organisation here))

The reason why giving you another pint to "top you off" wouldn't work is that what you need is not a top off but a rebuilding of your iron levels, and that takes time - a sudden jolt of it doesn't do much and would clear your system pretty fast, which is why you weren't just injected with iron and vitamins (something we can do, just it wouldn't have any long lasting effect for you). They made a clinical call to replace lost blood from the bleeding to get you to the blood levels you need to be at, and the iron boost was a bonus. Levels of all minerals and vitamins in your body are in constant flux and being replaced all the time, and here you need a slow and safe build up to the correct levels for you. Believe me, if all we needed to do was give a shot for everything, I would be the happiest guy in the world, but these things take time, and your body needs to adjust to everything over time. Sorry you have to take the slow way. But on the other side of things, it means that any concomitant healing will be more effective and permanent.
01-14-2014 07:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Linux kernel upgrade ideas requested Crimson Nape 8 285 09-14-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  My thoughts go to fellow PAPers ... ImaSurvivor 0 497 07-23-2014 08:56 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor