I am 'anemic'. Any tips or ideas, thoughts?
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Sex: Male

RE: I am 'anemic'. Any tips or ideas, thoughts?
Makes sense (he admits grudgingly)...

And yes, when Momma takes over I'll be fixed whether I want to be or not.

As for paper-cuts, a nice line of Super-glue does the trick for me!

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
01-14-2014 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
JohnNJ Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet & ResMed Power Station II
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp & ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i & ClimateLine (distilled / fresh daily)
CPAP Pressure: 9.4 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: First night - November 25, 2013

(01-13-2014 08:12 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote:  Red Wine is supposed to help. My mom was anemic as a young woman. When she was dating my Dad, my father's mom told her port wine in particular was good for it. My father's family worked in wineries. My mother's parents did not believe in consuming alcohol. My mother inquird with her doctor and he agreed it was a good remedy within reason of course. So her parents did not stand in the way of it.

And shortly after her port wine therapy began you came along. Cool
01-14-2014 02:29 PM
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Sex: Female

LoL ... not for a number of years (two older brothers before me) ... I personally can't stand port. But my mom is now 87 years old.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 02:53 PM by ImaSurvivor.)
01-14-2014 02:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

My granddad drank a glass of schnapps every night before he went to bed for over eighty years. He died in his nineties, some thirty years ago. They cremated him. He's still burning.
01-14-2014 06:33 PM
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Sex: Female

We have longevity in my family among the women anyway. My grandmothers were 98 and 92. A sister of one of my grandmothers lived to be 108. My grandfathers both died fairly young. My Dad is 82 and just underwent open heart surgery a week ago tomorrow. He was released from hospital this morning and at a nearby rehab facility. His sisters are 92 and 94. His brother died pretty young.
01-14-2014 08:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

BTW -- that number people are using to define anemia is the Hemoglobin in grams/deciLiter.

Normal male HG is 13.5 to 17.5.

In my prime I was at about 15.5 -- now I run about 13.3 which is borderline anemic.

and BTW -- the RBC count is a calculated number these days. long ago, they would could Red Blood Cells on a slide and estimate the number of RBC's per cubic millimeter.

There are 3 factors to consider in anemia:
1) Production
2) Destruction (hemolysis)
3) Blood loss

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 10:03 PM by justMongo.)
01-16-2014 09:55 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Hi Pete,
Sounds like Doc gave you lots of really helpful stuff. I would only add one thing: Are you home testing your INR? Monthly tests at the hospital lab don't get it done. At this point while your body is going through all this stuff you should be testing at least twice a week. Once you get back to "normal," then you can go once a week. You'll fluctuate all over the place between 2 and 3, but as long as you don't drop below about 1.5 or above about 3.5 you're good to go. If you aren't familiar with home testing, google "Alere" for details. Medicare covers it if medicare covers you.

Remember just about anything you poke into your mouth has some effect, good or bad, on your INR. That's why the real key is to get level, then stay consistent. If you like wine, you can drink a glass every day without a problem once its a part of your daily routine. But if you establish a daily routine, then alter it by drinking a couple of martini's, you will have an INR change.

Yes, you should give up the aspirin and other nsaids. You can do Tylenol (I know, it doesn't work all that well) but do not exceed the recommended dosages. You don't need liver failure on top of everything else.

Mostly, as Doc advised, you just need to give your body time.
01-16-2014 11:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

(01-16-2014 09:55 PM)justMongo Wrote:  BTW -- that number people are using to define anemia is the Hemoglobin in grams/deciLiter.

Normal male HG is 13.5 to 17.5.

In my prime I was at about 15.5 -- now I run about 13.3 which is borderline anemic.

and BTW -- the RBC count is a calculated number these days. long ago, they would could Red Blood Cells on a slide and estimate the number of RBC's per cubic millimeter.

There are 3 factors to consider in anemia:
1) Production
2) Destruction (hemolysis)
3) Blood loss

Interesting~! I wonder why I was told for my age/sex/whatever the goal was 11.5 to 12.5, they even wrote it down on my instructions at the hospital
/shrug
Either which way, it sounds like my 9.8 (last check)still isn't that hot...which explains why I feel so bleh any time I stand up or do anything at all.

Got the sleeping under 14 hours a day now at least Smile

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
01-17-2014 12:54 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

(01-16-2014 11:54 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  Hi Pete,
Sounds like Doc gave you lots of really helpful stuff. I would only add one thing: Are you home testing your INR? Monthly tests at the hospital lab don't get it done. At this point while your body is going through all this stuff you should be testing at least twice a week. Once you get back to "normal," then you can go once a week. You'll fluctuate all over the place between 2 and 3, but as long as you don't drop below about 1.5 or above about 3.5 you're good to go. If you aren't familiar with home testing, google "Alere" for details. Medicare covers it if medicare covers you.

Remember just about anything you poke into your mouth has some effect, good or bad, on your INR. That's why the real key is to get level, then stay consistent. If you like wine, you can drink a glass every day without a problem once its a part of your daily routine. But if you establish a daily routine, then alter it by drinking a couple of martini's, you will have an INR change.

Yes, you should give up the aspirin and other nsaids. You can do Tylenol (I know, it doesn't work all that well) but do not exceed the recommended dosages. You don't need liver failure on top of everything else.

Mostly, as Doc advised, you just need to give your body time.
If I am within range, I test every four weeks (zero coverage of any kind currently), if it goes wonky, we test every 3 days til I am stable again.

We had my dosage worked out so me taking the aspirin and the Celebrex, I was still stable - this had been my therapy for +2 years before everything went goofy.

I've had blood work every six months for over 30 years now, taking NSAIDs, that's part of the deal. It's really easy to say something like, "you should give up...", but like life, there are PROs and CONs to everything, including medicine.

01-17-2014 01:02 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
louied Offline

New Members

Machine: unsure
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

You already understand that anemia means that your iron is low on a normal basis. The goal is to increase the iron in your body by increasing the amount of iron that you take into your body. You could easily consider using supplements that can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Target, or any other major retail chain or pharmacy. Supplements work, but nothing is ever a replacement for the real thing. Find ways to increase your iron intake in your diet including eating more steaks, burgers, and red meats in general. There aren't many other sources that work as well as red meat.
01-24-2014 12:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Linux kernel upgrade ideas requested Crimson Nape 8 285 09-14-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  My thoughts go to fellow PAPers ... ImaSurvivor 0 497 07-23-2014 08:56 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor