Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I am catching on to the AHI data
I am catching on to the AHI data
The birthday candle (not the 100W light bulb)  above my head has flickered on about what the cpap data, and members here, is telling me.
I reviewed all the data from April 1st to last night a see that with one nights exception, my Clear Airway is 0.0 that I take means cpap machine successfully keeps air moving through my mouth and tongue out of the way (little no snores).

The Obstructive and Hypopnea numbers keep jumping around and can't be controlled readily by the machine I have.  When it does a high pressure  burst (to initiate breathing?), that air just vents out the mask, no matter which of six masks I have.  And my respiration is shallow low titdal pressure.

I will point this out to sleep doc and see what s/he says.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I am catching on to the AHI data
I think the "High Pressure Burst" you are talking about is just your machine seeing if you need a higher pressure. (would help to see a chart)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2017, 09:33 AM)CPAPreturnee Wrote: The birthday candle (not the 100W light bulb)  above my head  has flickered on about what the cpap data, and members here, is telling me.
I reviewed all the data from April 1st to last night a see that with one nights exception, my Clear Airway is 0.0 that I take means cpap machine successfully keeps air moving through my mouth and tongue out of the way (little no snores).

Your Cpap machine does not treat Clear Airways.  A Clear Airway event means that your brain is not sending a signal for you to breath.  When this happens, the Apap will not raise pressure to treat this event.   It's good that you don't have Clear Airways.

The Obstructive and Hypopnea numbers keep jumping around and can't be controlled readily by the machine I have.  When it does a high pressure  burst (to initiate breathing?), that air just vents out the mask, no matter which of six masks I have.  And my respiration is shallow low titdal pressure.

Obstructives and Hypopneas, snores, Flow Limitation are normally treated by raising the minimum pressure.

Air is supposed to vent out of the mask vent, otherwise you would be rebreathing the same air. Sad

Low tidal volume and shallow respiration should be discussed with your doctor.

I will point this out to sleep doc and see what s/he says.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2017, 10:08 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 09:33 AM)CPAPreturnee Wrote:   When it does a high pressure  burst (to initiate breathing?), that air just vents out the mask, no matter which of six masks I have.  And my respiration is shallow low titdal pressure.

Air is supposed to vent out of the mask vent, otherwise you would be rebreathing the same air.  Sad

What I meant was not out the mask vents rather the annoying "farts and burps" out side/top/bottom of masks that awakens me (again and again), no matter how tight the straps.  And if too tight then I get very little sleep as the pressure just keeps me awake.

As an aside I took a nasty fall that my wife had me checked into the hospital because of confusion and momentary blackout, where I stayed overnight for observation.  The CT and MRI scans showed I suffered a slight brain bleed which the neurosurgeon says should not be a concern.  But you know, I had the most refreshing beautiful no cpap sleep in two months. I awoke so refreshed and relaxed I couldn't believe it.  Last night, on the torture device, my AHI zoomed to 33 with Hypopnea being the big number, and I felt like CRAP today.  Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried mask liners? Some here say it helps with mask leaks, or try a different mask style.

Have you tried a higher minimum pressure yet? I think you need to take control of your therapy.
You've been given alot of good advice.

Would help if you could post some recent data. Try to keep it in one thread.

Sorry to hear about your fall, please take care.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try a fixed pressure, the pressure changes of the Auto program may be allowing leaks. At a fixed pressure it could be easier for you to find a mask fit that is leak free.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2017, 10:05 AM)TASmart Wrote: Try a fixed pressure, the pressure changes of the Auto program may be allowing leaks. At a fixed pressure it could be easier for you to find a mask fit that is leak free.

Thanks, I am waiting to talk on June 1st but don't hold much hope sleep doc will have anything useful to say even when I point out the central apnea problem as possible cause of high AHIs.  Will probably blow me off as reading too much Wikipedia or relying on Apnea Board info as "alternative facts"!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2017, 02:49 PM)CPAPreturnee Wrote: Thanks, I am waiting to talk on June 1st but don't hold much hope sleep doc will have anything useful to say even when I point out the central apnea problem as possible cause of high AHIs. 

Why do you think you have central apnea?  In your first post, you said your CA reading is 0.0.

Post some data here, we can advise you "before" you see your doctor.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I think you have to take your own control of your therapy. The Drs and sleep clinics do have the time nor the inclinations to daily or weekly adjustments. To them, if it's under 5 AHI it is treated. Anything else you are on your own. To further this attitude, ResMEd in their Myair program does not deduct a point even for AHI over 5, yet deducts points for taking off your mask to adjust it. Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 381 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 798 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Throat catching on inhale? Awake or asleep tiredguy1 4 1,022 06-20-2020, 06:35 PM
Last Post: optimalsleep
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,281 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is my CPAP machine catching all my apnea events? fs12 19 3,495 08-25-2018, 10:01 PM
Last Post: fs12

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.