Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I am new and would like to purchase my own Cpap machine. I have had sleep study done.
I am new and would like to purchase my own Cpap machine. I have had sleep study done.
I would like to get information on procedure on purchasing a Cpap machine. I’m not sure one to get companies by me want to rent and go through insurance co. Don’t want to do. I have had study done and need to know the recommendations for settings from sleep clinic. Will they tell me or can I have them send information to someone that can? Thanks, Eric Ivey
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I am new and would like to purchase my own Cpap machine. I have had sleep study done.
You have a right to a copy of the Sleep Study, and a copy of your prescription.

This will show you if you have Obstructive Apnea, or Complex Sleep Apnea. If you can get a copy, post that information here, and we can advise what type of machine you may need, and give recommendations.

A regular Cpap or preferably an Apap is suitable for most, but if you have high pressure needs, then a BiPap would be a better option. If you have complex/central Apnea, then you would need an ASV machine which can be very expensive.

So the importance of knowing what your sleep study says can help decide on the best machine to treat your Apnea.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I am new and would like to purchase my own Cpap machine. I have had sleep study done.
You'll need a prescription from your/a doc based on the results of your study.

With a prescription you have several options:
1) go where your insurance company sends you
2) buy your own and turn in the expenses towards your deductible
3) probably more that I can't think of right now.

If you buy your own online: do your research, and email your prescription and be very clear that you want it configured before it gets shipped to you. The last CPAP I bought was mailed to me, still in the factory box, never been turned on, and I had to set it up myself. That was no problem though.

Masks: This is where I think it's a good idea to go where your insurance company sends you. You will need to find a mask that works for you. You need to try them on. A local supplier gives you the chance to try several until you find something that works. It took me three masks. It will cost more. After you find one that works, you can buy replacements online.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you decide to post a copy of your sleep study be sure to redact any personally identifiable information.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to Amazon and buy the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. It's currently listed at $514, but the price varies down to $440. Put it on a watch, but even the higher price is a great deal. The Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP is currently $383. Same thing. The Dreamstation is an excellent machine, but if I'm choosing, I go for the Resmed. Both provide full data and auto-CPAP functionality. No prescriptions, or delay, and both include the heated humidifier and heated tube. You will need to find a mask. You may find one on Amazon, but all are available as "parts" with headgear, frame and cushion sold separately. My preference is the Resmed Airfit P10.

You have everything you need for a prescription. Get a copy of your study and ask your doctor to write a script for Auto CPAP with the recommended settings from your study, mask, filter, heated tube, and supplies. That way if you need a prescription you will have it. See our Suppiler list for full service equipment providers, however prices may be a bit higher. Also Supplier #1 will provide a return warranty with a mask. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2017, 10:55 AM)OpalRose Wrote: You have a right to a copy of the Sleep Study, and a copy of your prescription.

This will show you if you have Obstructive Apnea, or Complex Sleep Apnea.  If you can get a copy, post that information here, and we can advise what type of machine you may need, and give recommendations.

A regular Cpap or preferably an Apap is suitable for most, but if you have high pressure needs, then a BiPap would be a better option.  If you have complex/central Apnea, then you would need an ASV machine which can be very expensive.  

So the importance of knowing what your sleep study says can help decide on the best machine to treat your Apnea.

I agree with OpalRose, get a complete copy of the sleep study, not a summary, then also a copy of your Rx. Keep both of these as permanent records. Some on line sellers do not always ask for a Rx for a CPAP machine but obtain one before attempting to order so you can provide it if requested. Was your sleep study in clinic or at home? 

I bought a machine on line and was not asked for a Rx. My doctor's nurse gave me information about a small locally owned equipment supplier located about an hour's drive from me. They don't work with any insurance companies and are strictly independent. I have not contacted them yet but plan to do so in search of the right mask. You are on the right track but post as much additional  information as possible.

Best wishes in your journey,

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ericivey1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you start CPAP therapy, and also with your machine decision, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 51 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.