Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I am so angry at "the system" right now.
RE: I am so angry at "the system" right now.
(04-09-2016, 08:24 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: All of this would resolve so easily if you simply asked your doctor to change the pressure prescription to Auto and a pressure range YOU have found effective. There is no reason to argue with a RT who is simply mandated to follow the prescription and help you use the equipment.

I had asked my provider for changes, and her answer was to perscribe more sleep medications. The bottom line was, I was willing to compromise on her pressure range, IF she would agree to the Auto setting. That was a no-go for her. My DME has been AMAZING, which is surprising compared to what I had heard about other DME experiences.
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I did my sleep test about three years ago. To this day i have never seen the doctor who created my RX. My first machine was a Resmed Escape with a fixed pressure of 15. I felt like i was suffocating all the time. I was ready to quit til i found this forum and found out that my cpap machine was a crappy model with no data, and non variable pressure.

I went through hell trying to get the machine changed or upgraded. I went back to the sleep doctor and plead with them to do something different. The "technician", assistant, not sure what her training was, she said, "well you don't have to use it."

Out of desperation, I was telling my DME about it and he said that he would try contacting the doctor's office and get an RX for the Autoset machine with variable pressure. HE got it done and now i have the Autoset.
My point is, the doctor did little to nothing to help me.

I have always been polite and respectful, so i can understand the frustration some of us have with "the system".
Post Reply Post Reply
The trick is to find the weak point in the system, the person that if you apply reasonable pressure will make the decision that you want. You can have
Technicians
Sleep Doctors
office staff
DME's
Respiratory Therapists
Pulmonologists
Cardiologists
Insurance Providers

someone typically is approachable, you just have to find out who and how.
Post Reply Post Reply
PoolQ I agree with you wholeheartedly. I found that if i keep trying i will eventually find that person that can and will try to help me. I never thought of myself as a tenacious person, but, it seems, i am. I am afraid many people give up the first time they are told no. We all know if you get angry or disrespectful, it will simply close the door. Just stay calm and polite and go to the next higher level. Keep chipping away til you get what you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
The RT at my DME is where i have gotten the most help. Luckily, his boss was willing to convert my rental to purchase, so that we can bypass insurance, and turn it into a cash buyout (only $150 cost difference vs buying online cash) so we are on the right track, but still working it out.
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
How rude! Yes, definitely keep that up, you're the patient, they're treating you like they're used car salesmen. You couldn't get your dr to just sign off on what settings you wanted? (i just read all to catch up but may have gotten confused which was you and which was someone else, i apologize if so!)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,620 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,238 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,791 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 3 6,172 12-12-2023, 11:30 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 Heating System Fault JonathanLennox 6 12,529 04-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: 17WRX

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.