Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I am struggling, Oscar data, any help appreciated
Exclaimation 
How DO you go to sleep with this machine?!
Newbie here! Severe sleep apnea 40 events every hour and ZERO rem sleep. O2 levels regularly dip to 70s. Severe symptoms. Got Resmed ibreeze 20A this week and I've attempted to use it faithfully every night. I have yet to fall asleep for more than 20-30 minutes at a time and I'm now going on five hours sleep total for the week. 
I really need tips on how to FALL ASLEEP. 
I appreciate the board tips, and I'm employing many of them: Still fiddling with software, settings were set for me but I have the heated humidifier & it helps SOME with the airway chafing but it often spits water in my face,so I ordered a hose insulator.Im currently on the nasal cushion because I'm severely claustrophobic. It DOES seem to have reduced the claustrophobic freak-outs.But, I still haven't fallen asleep without 5+ hrs of trying and didn't stay asleep for more than 30min.
Please, please does ANYONE have TIPS on FALLIN ASLEEP WITH CPAP?
:'(
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How DO you go to sleep with this machine?!
(07-03-2022, 11:23 AM)AngrySleepr Wrote: Got Resmed ibreeze 20A
often spits water in my face,
It DOES seem to have reduced the claustrophobic freak-outs.But, I still haven't fallen asleep without 5+ hrs of trying and didn't stay asleep for more than 30min.
Please, please does ANYONE have TIPS on FALLIN ASLEEP WITH CPAP?

There's no such thing as a ResMed iBreeze, you have a Resvent iBreeze.

Consider turning the humidity down a notch or two, to address the water issue.

For many, there is no magic solution for acceptance, perseverance and time. Some people take to it right away, others days, week or longer.

Wear it in a comfortable chair and watch TV for an hour or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
try over the counter sleep medication. that will help a lot
Post Reply Post Reply
It has been mentioned bfore in this forum that it's a process.  You may have been used to crap sleep for years.  Your body is still expecting that and needs to be slowly retrained.  

You control your own mind.  As you relax and dose off, tell yourself that this is a good thing on your face, not something just new or uncomfortable!  You're taking action to feel better, and everyone here is behind you.

Do you have an idea of what bothers you as you try to get to sleep?  When I started, I was really irritated by the plastic smell, which may have been more from the packaging than the mask.  I washed the hose and mask several times (soaked in soapy water and well rinsed) to get rid of it.  I also had to consciously give up being stubborn like 'I don't need this!' and 'this won't work...'

Look forward to dreaming again as REM comes back...
Post Reply Post Reply
Things will improve as you adapt. It just takes time and practice. One thing you can do is hook yourself up to the machine and do something like read, watch TV, or listen to music or audios. This will help you adapt. Note that there are plenty of apps for relaxation and you could listen to one of those.

Realize that without the machine you are still waking up every few minutes, it's just that you have no memory of it happening. The machine will eventually help you, but it takes time for some of us to adapt. As you adapt you will notice that every once in a while you wake up feeling like you actually got some restful sleep. As the days go by this will happen more and more often. Then you will start feeling better than you have in years. The adaptation period can be rough, but it's worth it.

And, you will live a longer, healthier, and happier life!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I really NEED it as I have severe apnea. I think what bothers me most is claustrophobia (got the nasal pillow couple days ago & that seems to help) and after I drift off it spits water up my nose which startles me awake-hose wrap is otw. The gurgling from the condensation is a problem too. I've tried it without the humidifier but I get sores in my nose & the discomfort wakes me up. It's on the lowest setting but no improvement.
I'm a sleepwalker & I'm ALL OVER the place at night, so the 6ft hose is a range problem.
Any ideas appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2022, 11:05 AM)AngrySleepr Wrote: Thanks! I really NEED it as I have severe apnea. I think what bothers me most is claustrophobia (got the nasal pillow couple days ago & that seems to help) and after I drift off it spits water up my nose which startles me awake-hose wrap is otw. The gurgling from the condensation is a problem too. I've tried it without the humidifier but I get sores in my nose & the discomfort wakes me up. It's on the lowest setting but no improvement.
I'm a sleepwalker & I'm ALL OVER the place at night, so the 6ft hose is a range problem.
Any ideas appreciated

What humidifier settings have you tried?

You can:
  • Turn it off with no water
  • Turn it off with water (passover humidity)
  • Turn it on Auto
  • Set it from 1-8

There will be a setting that will provide *some humidity* without the condensing back to liquid. Set it to 1, try it for the night. If you need more, set it to 2 the next night.

Water in the tube is caused humidity condensing back into liquid. Low hose temperatures causes this. The solution for most CPAP devices is a heated hose, I don't think the Resvent has a heated hose, so your solution is one or more of the following:
  • Lower humidity value (but not off) 
  • Ensure you don't overfill tank
  • Increase ambient room temperature 
  • Use a hose cover
  • Run hose undercovers (but this will be a problem because of your movements)

Regarding getting all tangled in hose, consider:
  • Hose management system where you hose is hung over head. 
  • Longer hose 3 mete instead of 2
  • When your Apnea is treated, and your sleep is less disturbed, many have less night movements.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
I use a setting of 1 for the humidifier. I have difficulty sleeping if it's over 70F. I ordered a hose cover (having difficulty finding a heated hose for ibreeze) and a suspension device.

Yes, I know I sound like a whiner- I really am like the Princess & the Pea when sleeping! Everything has to be just right, unfortunately
Post Reply Post Reply
A hose suspension system can be as simple as attaching your hose to a Command Strip above your head on the wall or headboard. This is used by people who travel a lot use when in hotels.

Try turning your humidifier off but with water, commonly called passover humidity. This may provide you with enough humidity, but not enough moisture to trigger rain-out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2022, 11:05 AM)AngrySleepr Wrote: Thanks! I really NEED it as I have severe apnea. I think what bothers me most is claustrophobia (got the nasal pillow couple days ago & that seems to help) and after I drift off it spits water up my nose which startles me awake-hose wrap is otw. The gurgling from the condensation is a problem too.

The spitting of the water and the gurgling noise are things you don't have to put up with. More on that below.

Quote:I've tried it without the humidifier but I get sores in my nose & the discomfort wakes me up. It's on the lowest setting but no improvement.

Check the baby aisle for Lansinoh. It's a salve marketed to nursing mothers. Put a dab on a q-tip and apply it to the insides of your nostrils.

(07-04-2022, 12:24 PM)AngrySleepr Wrote: I use a setting of 1 for the humidifier. I have difficulty sleeping if it's over 70F. I ordered a hose cover (having difficulty finding a heated hose for ibreeze) and a suspension device.

Something is wrong here. This shouldn't be happening. This seems silly, but are you putting too much water in the humidifier chamber? I did that the other night and the gurgling noise drove us crazy.

Is your bedroom air conditioned? Is the air humid or dry?

Quote:Yes, I know I sound like a whiner- I really am like the Princess & the Pea when sleeping! Everything has to be just right, unfortunately

You don't sound like a whiner. This stuff is very hard to adapt to for a lot of people.

Being human, though, you will adapt rather nicely, and everything will be "just right" once again.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 43 5 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,686 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 65 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 404 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 151 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.