Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How much your mask leaks in a typical night?
This poll is closed.
Not much leak <10L/min
80.00%
8 80.00%
A little leak 15-24 L/min
10.00%
1 10.00%
Large leak <24L/min
10.00%
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

I can breathe much better with a little leak
I can breathe much better with a little leak
Anybody else feels like breathing through mask and air pressure is so much better when there is a little leak instead of no leak? 

I have intentionally made my mask to be a little loose, you need to balance with air noise but I feel like I breathe much better when the leak is between 15 to 20L/m instead of <10L/m
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I can breathe much better with a little leak
It possibly is some lack somewhere causing this need to create leaks. Pressure settings not optimized as in not enough pressure to support your needs, clogged mask vent, something like that.

What's the OSCAR chart look like? And what exactly are you using machine and mask wise?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is your EPR set to.

Your range is set to 5-15, 5 is too low for most adults.

Turn your ramp off, you do not need it at these pressures

Set your
Min pressure =7
EPR=2 full-time
Ramp =off

And post a set of OSCAR charts

Those settings should reduce your need for a leak

Personally I cannot tolerate a pressure of 10 or less. But that's just me
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't sleep well with even small leaks if I notice them. As far as breathing better... I'd say listen to the advice above. Somethings not quite right either with settings or your mask. Post a chart from OSCAR.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
IF that is true, you need to raise the min number. Post OSCAR and let us take a look.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you basing this on the median or 95% leak? I have never had a median leak show up.  Also, Philips and Resmed machines quantify leaks differently.  The mask intentionally vents more than 4 times the volume of your respiration minute vent, so there is always a leak, even if Resmed nets it out.

Oh, wait, I think we have met before. You're the one that sticks your head out the car window?

[Image: dog-671x518.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all,

I have been using n30i mask, and I just noticed that I roll my face towards the pillow during the night (as if sleeping face down but not completely) and block the airway from the front of the cushion mask, I think that is why I feel like I need air and have to loosen up the mask a little bit so it leaks from the sides. 

I just got the N20 mask and will try with your recommended settings. My problem is that I tend to roll face down and nasal masks (with hose at the front) don't allow that. 

I took my leak values from ResMed MyAir app average. 

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2021, 11:13 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Are you basing this on the median or 95% leak? I have never had a median leak show up.  Also, Philips and Resmed machines quantify leaks differently.  The mask intentionally vents more than 4 times the volume of your respiration minute vent, so there is always a leak, even if Resmed nets it out.

Oh, wait, I think we have met before. You're the one that sticks your head out the car window?

[Image: dog-671x518.jpg]

Hahahahaha yeah that would be me   Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you would breath better and have better therapy with:
Min 7
Max 10
EPR 3

The EPR will bring down your exhale to 4 but the inhale will be at 7. If you still feel oxygen starved move the min to 8 - again that puts your exhale at 5 and your inhale 8.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting chart. Somehow you manage to keep a low leak going without hitting the large leak threshold. I think you should just set your machine to 7.0 pressure and EPR 3 and enjoy the steady pressure and consistent EPR at 3. It would not be a lot different but you don't need autoset pressure with these results, and with pressure below 7.0 you do not get the full benefit of the EPR you have set, which means less ventilation. I think a minimum pressure of 7.0 is a part of your solution.

The N30i vents at the swivel on top and from the front of the mask. If you're blocking your mask vents by your sleep position, that might explain why you prefer a low mask leak. Either way, it's not adversely affecting your therapy, however you have four sessions in this chart and that suggests some sleep disruption. To better assess this low pressure and the flow limits we see, it might be interesting to look at a zoom of the flow rate at a 3-minute resolution.

Thanks for seeing the humor intended in my previous post. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 325 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,254 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 396 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 192 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,469 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 193 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 792 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.