Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I can't breathe!
I can't breathe!

I'm a user of a ResMed10 Autoset! It's a great machine! My numbers are fantastic, my AHI is usually under 1.0 and never over 2.0 All the other settings are on point! My leaks are minimal! My question is about CO2! I sometimes feel like I am suffocating during the middle of the night! If I stop therapy for even a couple of minutes when I resume everything is fine once again! My flow limit is low! I am using an N30i mask which has a nasal cushion! I have alternated between the 2 and 3 setting of EPR with no change! Attached is a sleep report! Any help with this is greatly appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I can't breathe!
Joe, your results are pretty good and I think a change in mask may help. If your feeling restricted from breathing through your nose, the Resmed Airfit P10 may be just what you need. The P10 is similar to your N30i nasal mask, but it applies air more directly to the nares without any wrap around the nose. It would be a pretty easy solution if it works for you. Try the different nasal pillow sizes. For most of us a larger size flows better in the P10.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Besides trying a larger nasal pillow, I noticed you are using the "soft" setting.

I'm not sure if it would help, but why not try the "standard" setting. It might help clean up some Flow Limitations.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The odd breathlessness is probably occurring after a moment restriction/flow limitation since you have the odd periods of higher flow limitation and snore.

I too would recommend trying the standard setting which will make the machine more responsive to these restrictions.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR and CO2
I have a question! I have a ResMed 10 Autoset with my APAP settings at 11-15 My numbers are good but I sometimes wake up staving for air! I know it's a CO2 issue! I have my EPR set to 3. My question is would raising the min number from 11 to 12 change anything? I never go above 14 with my treatment! Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
Joe, can you show us the summary statistics on the settings you have tried so far? I'm becoming concerned you might be working-out the setting dial. You have discussed therapy in about 12 threads so far, and it's time to start consolidating this information and slowing down the changes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That recent example shows the problem. See the periods of high flow limitation? Those are partial obstructions that are occurring. The higher EPR is helpful for breathing through those obstructions, use 3 EPR.

Higher pressure can also help, you can try 12 cm min pressure but as already stated you are best changing the machine to standard response which will increase the pressure when these restrictions are occurring and allow you to continue to use lower pressure when they are not.

Your pressures are only staying as low as they are because you have the machine handcuffed with soft response.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know how you can tell that CO2 level is the problem. And, how do you deduce it is too much or too little? Think of how or read how gas exchange happens, especially why sometimes adding dead space or EERS to elevate CO2 actually increases gas exchange and therefore too high of blood CO2. EPR causes higher sweeping of CO2 gas from the lungs, which may be ok but may not be. So, it would be great if you knew which issue you have.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 300 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 9,138 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando
  Breathe Right Strips and Central Apneas TiredTom111 10 1,266 12-26-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,099 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Source for anataomy illustration of how we breathe nose only for CPAP? Stom 0 321 09-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Stom
  Just got my machine - can’t breathe - any suggestions? tigress35 5 1,027 08-14-2023, 09:12 PM
Last Post: tigress35
  Waking up and unable to breathe easily stefanwlb 4 856 07-14-2023, 07:58 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.