Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I can't figure out my positional apnea
I can't figure out my positional apnea
I can't seem to figure out my positional sleep apnea.  It doesn't seem like cervical collars is making a huge difference, and they're uncomfortable.  I've also tried a device to move my jaw forward (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BTL...UTF8&psc=1) to see if that helps, and it doesn't seem to.  I've also tried different pillow heights (should I go flatter or thicker?).  I noticed that my I wonder if I should just get a sleep study and have them specifically study positional OSA for me.

Attached is a really good night, despite there being leak rate issues (I remember having super vivid dreams) and a crap night.

I've also noticed that when I went to a hotel, for some reason, my AHI was at least 1 lower on average, and I can't figure out what changed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I can't figure out my positional apnea
I get positional apnea as well, and I use a cheap flatter pillow. The problem is, my body likes to naturally side-sleep part of the time, and flatter pillow is bad for ergonomics. I don't believe what kind of pillow really matters when I sleep on the side (in terms of apneas). Because I've had a sleep test done, and all my apneas are mainly in supine position. When I'm on my left side, I have nights it's 0 or close to 0 apneas in the left side position. The issue is, I sleep supine 60-90% of the night.

I've recently tried out MyPillow, and Medium fill worked best since I have positional apnea. Firm is too high that probably causes chin-tuck. Also, it works better for side-sleeping with the mask than the cheap flatter pillow. Still doesn't perfectly rid of my mask leaks.

For some reason, OSCAR data doesn't show signs of positional apnea if I use nasal mask, N20. I get positional apnea with F20, likely in supine. Oddly, I get positional apnea with nasal pillow, P10 (which makes no sense).
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Because I've had a sleep test done, and all my apneas are mainly in supine position

It seems like this kind of information would be really useful for me to know.

Also because I have mainly positional sleep apnea and pressure doesn't seem to really help, maybe I should cap out the pressure like you do?
Post Reply Post Reply
There are two kinds of positional apnea, what the doctors talk about is supine (back) vs non-supine which is usually side sleeping.
What we mostly talk about here, and in general doctors are blissfully unaware of it is cervical alignment with the chin tucking down and causing major havoc by kinking the pipe that is your airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's well known that OSA is caused by collapsing of the airway during supine sleeping position. Which is why it's widely recommended to sleep on the side if you snore and/or have sleep apnea. Left side is recommended over right for alleviating acid reflux. My sleep study results reflects this.

I did a take home sleep study, and the sleep monitoring device figures out the orientation of your body based on the accelerometer's orientation. So, even a take home test can tell you this.

You can just try sleeping on your side to see if it reduces your AHI. If you sleep mainly on the side, that would likely help a lot.

It was also interesting that my CA was the lowest for side sleeping. CA occurred mainly during supine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I generally do sleep on my left side Sad.  I think collapsing of my airway during side-sleeping is probably the only possible cause, but I've found only minimal improvement with a cervical collar.

Oddly, I get positional apnea with nasal pillow, P10 (which makes no sense).

I'm going to try tonight with my old Nasal Pillow mask and not use the P10.  I'm also suspicious it's not great for me.  This all feels like black magic.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a medium fill down pillow that I can pull between my jaw and shoulder while side-sleeping. This prevents the airway from being compressed by chin-tucking and maintains very good alignment and comfort. Maybe it will work for you?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me awhile to figure out my positional apnea, and it seems a little odd.  I can sleep on my back when using the N20 mask, but have to sleep on my side when using a full face mask, otherwise I get a very high AHI.  Doesn't really make sense to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Likely the very high apnea is from kinking your neck. The difference is in the straps?
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon:  In my case, I think you are correct.  I've tried a cervical collar while sleeping supine and it didn't help.  So it has to be the lower FFM straps retracting the lower jaw, reducing airway patency.   It's hard to side sleep with a FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 82 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Can Anyone Help me figure out what this is? jmperez1013 1 158 03-11-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 329 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 257 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.