Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I can't seem to understand leaks, anyone with a simple explanation?
I can't seem to understand leaks, anyone with a simple explanation?
I have read, re-read and read again the Leaks explanation and I must be dumb as a brick because I just don't get it.  Is there a site, or can anyone please explain this to me so I can get it?

What is "time over leak red line" and where is the "red line"  What do these percentages mean?   My AHI last night was 1.00 but my LL shows activity, and my time over leak red line is 34.336%  Last night shows 95% leak rate is 26.40. I am so confused. Huhsign I tried a different mask last night and not sure if this is good or bad?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I can't seem to understand leaks, anyone with a simple explanation?
I’m doing a cut and paste from someone else’s post from a while ago regarding leak reporting when using a Respironics device

“ ... the statistic reporting the % of time in large leak is based on a ResMed calculation number and that number won't work for your Respironics machine.
Open SH and go to Preferences and then the CPAP tab. SH Defaults to a red line leak threshold of 24 L/min which is a ResMed leak number...won't work with your machine. Your red line threshold number is more like 75...so change the 24 to 75 or just turn off that statistic by removing the check mark.

Large leaks (if you have any) will show up as flags on the Events graph and are a product of the machine.
Those are correct....the SH statistic is just a product of some calculations and isn't from the machine and in your situation with your type of machine...it's wrong.
Ignore it and base your leak evaluation on the presence of large leak flags on the Events graph...the LL on the events graph...that's large leak.”
Post Reply Post Reply
When leaks get too severe, the machine can’t compensate, so you aren’t getting the proper therapy pressure, and the machine has trouble figuring out what is going on. If that only happens for some smallish percentage of your sleep time, it’s no big deal. If it happens for too much of the time, you won’t get the benefits from the evening’s therapy that you hope for.

Large leaks also have the unpleasant side effect of having the machine ramp up to maximum pressure trying to compensate, which likely will be unpleasant enough to wake you up.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the Event Flags line it shows large leaks but the Time over leak red line is 4.106% and the leak rate is 95%22.80.  I changed the prefrences to 24, is that right?  I am afraid I still don't understand.  Here is a screen shot.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I apologize - when I looked at your first message, I thought you had a dreamstation, not the Resmed S9.

At any rate, the Resmed can easily handle leaks up to 24l, so any leak over that rate is considered a large leak. It can actually deal with leaks larger than that, but that is the threshold they advertise. So for Resmed, the red line is 24l, which is the default setting for OSCAR.

Your chart shows that you are having large leaks for a large fraction of the evening, which means you do need to really work on figuring out what is causing the leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did have the Dream Station but my doctor changed it to the Res Med, this one is my old one. These leaks came out of nowhere, I have never had a leak issue. How do I track it down?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 138 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 90 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 160 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.