Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I can use a Nasal mask... Woohoo
I can use a Nasal mask... Woohoo
So, I've been surprised to learn I can use a nasal mask. I really wasn't expecting to be able to use one.

I have been prescribed some really high pressures on my BiPAP (25/21). So, I have some concerns about finding a nasal pillow mask that will handle my high pressures.

So, I was looking for advice on a good nasal pillow mask that can handle those pressures or are my concerns unfounded.

Thanks,
Jett
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I can use a Nasal mask... Woohoo
Maybe some people adapt better than others. I felt like my nose would explode when I tried nasal pillow masks and my pressure went over 20. I ended up using full face masks. I hope you are luckier than I was.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I started out with a full face mask and trying to use a nasal mask now and I have run into issues with masks that just can't contain that high pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure you are clear about what you are talking about. There are nasal pillows that seal against the nostrils directly, and nasal masks that are similar to full face masks, but stop at the upper lip rather than below the mouth, thereby not covering the mouth.

As a general rule, with a number of exceptions (some of which populate this forum), nasal pillows tend not to be preferred by patients at higher treatment pressures. I am not aware of any high-pressure issues with nasal masks, however. I personally use one, and my pressure gets up to 19-ish on occasion.

Both types will exclude the mouth from the pressurized airway system, thereby requiring that the patient keep their mouth closed while sleeping to prevent leaks out the mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 97 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,221 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Equipment] Nasal mask over full face if suspected UARS??)) Dashaman 6 392 01-22-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.