Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

relationship between flow limits, leaks and pressure
relationship between flow limits, leaks and pressure
I look first at the pressure graph and try to determine why the inhale pressure goes up/dwn.    Sometimes I don't see any reason at all yet the inhale pressure goes up.   But one thing for sure is that I see a correlation between flow limits and leaks.   My nose says that the flow limits increase and the machine drives up pressure to overcome the restriction which in turn causes leaks at the higher pressure.   That make sense?    

Much thanks,  Don

Resmed 10
Max 12,   Min 8,   EPR 3,  swift fx mask
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: relationship between flow limits, leaks and pressure
If your mask is leaking at "higher" pressures, you likely don't have a good seal to begin with.  IMO, working on eliminating and or minimizing leaks is the very first order of business.

In the process of testing several FFM masks I seem to have found an interesting association, but I only have about a weeks worth of data to backup my tentative theory. 
When the FFM mask I am testing has a significant time at large leaks (say greater than 15%), the flow limitation index is OK, but not great, say between 0.1 and 0.15.

However, when I eliminate large leaks (to say less than 1%), the flow limitation index increases significantly which causes the auto pressure to increase.  

What I'm wondering is this: Does the existance of large leaks (>24l/min)  degrade the Apap's ability to correctly evaluate flow limiitations?
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed in fix leaks first. See if FL reduce after low leaks, if not you'll need to edit pressure.

Leaks can be poor adjustment, poor fit, wrong size cushion. Number one mistake people make is getting them adjusted too tight.

Here's generically how to adjust the mask, holding mask in hand CPAP on, lying back hold mask in place and add finger tension until leaks are controlled. Remember how this feels and duplicate with the straps. To make leak monitoring simpler, don't go by the machine leak test, only by OSCAR charts. Bottom line though if the mask is uncomfortable or painfully tight to stop leaks, full stop. Change to another size or another model mask, even another form factor.

Suggestion is add OSCAR charts and let's see what you're dealing with. What kind of leaks are you facing? Mask or mouth leaks require different actions.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a Resmed Swift mask ( nasal pillows ).   On my 3rd headset maybe.   I feel comfortable with the mask.   Use clips to attach hose to my PJs for hose management.

I mouth tape ... wife demands it.

I experiment with adjusting.   Honestly can't say if getting mask tighter or looser is better.  

A bad night for me is an AHI of 1 or maybe 1.5.   Typical is 0.2 to 0.8.  

If I can solve the leak/flow limit/pressure issue I think I'll be soundly in the 0.2 AHI range.    I think L/FL/P is the variable.

I have to reread how to get Oscar charts to show here.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Oscar screen shot ...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If I have it correctly, that first leak segment is the mask leak pattern. Jagged shaped leaks. Later, the wider, flatter leaks are more like mouth leaks in some way. It may also be mixed between both leak types.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 293 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,601 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.