Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I could use a little help, please!
I could use a little help, please!
I recently started using a F&P Simplus FFM, because I couldn't control mouth leaks. My A/HI has been jumping around but stays mostly between 1 and 2, with a couple nights below 1 and a few higher, even one over 6. I still feel lousy most of the time, and I'm seeing my ENT soon, because I think I have sinus problems. I can't help but think, I'm not reading my Sleepyhead data right yet, and doing something wrong.

[Image: QUJL5Ipt.png]

[Image: vsSmHIat.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I could use a little help, please!
Your leak rate doesn't look bad to me.  The red line is the total leak and the green line is the volume adjusted for the mask intentional leak.  You are staying below 24L/min. To me, your in the tall grass.  I did notice that you hit the maximum during some OA's and Hypopneas.   I'd try raising your maximum about 1cm. More or less keep bumping it up until you don't hit it.  Also, it looks (to me) that you may be tucking your chin toward your chest.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2017, 03:36 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Your leak rate doesn't look bad to me.  The red line is the total leak and the green line is the volume adjusted for the mask intentional leak.  You are staying below 24L/min. To me, your in the tall grass.  I did notice that you hit the maximum during some OA's and Hypopneas.   I'd try raising your maximum about 1cm. More or less keep bumping it up until you don't hit it.  Also, it looks (to me) that you may be tucking your chin toward your chest.

Thanks for the quick response CN!
I've been using DeepBreathing's flannelette technique, to help me get the leaks under control.

I have the max pressure set, at 18 cm/h2o now, (I just double checked the machine), yet the graph shows it at 17, is that an error, and if so is it Sleepyhead, or the machine? I'll bump it up, a little though.

I've tried a cervical collar, to keep from tucking, and don't tolerate it very well, I'll try a different pillow though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I now see your report shows 18. Just ignore me!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What really stands out to me is the completely reversed inspiratory/expiratory time (ratio). It's like you have this nice long inhale, and blow the air out. It would be interesting to see if this is accurate by looking at the flow rate zoomed in to about 2-minutes where individual breath waveforms are visible.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2017, 05:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What really stands out to me is the completely reversed inspiratory/expiratory time (ratio).  It's like you have this nice long inhale, and blow the air out.  It would be interesting to see if this is accurate by looking at the flow rate zoomed in to about 2-minutes where individual breath waveforms are visible.

I hope this is what you mean Sleeprider.

[Image: w8KlDW6m.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
The one thing that struck me is that you were "sleeping" for 10:40.  That is a long time.  Perhaps too long.  I understand the urge, I do that more often than I should.  But it does not leave me feeling particularly alert and good the next day.  There is such a thing as too much sleep.  Were you actually asleep all that time?  Did you wake up part way through, lie there awake for a while and then go back to sleep?

Also consider that it could be something else than sleep apnea causing you to not feel good.  A trip to your GP for some tests might be in order.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, just sayin' that waveform is weird as hell.  One possibility is you're partially mouth berating, but you have a FFM.  Did you have a full PSG sleep study?  It looks like severe flow llimited inspiratory breathing with mouth breathing exhale.   I'm thinking bilevel (BiPAP) may be in your future.  Your event rate is fine, but that breathing waveform is something to discuss with your doctor.

[Image: Flow_limitation_images_zpsdb148d1f.jpg]

[Image: w8KlDW6.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2017, 07:21 PM)chill Wrote: The one thing that struck me is that you were "sleeping" for 10:40.  That is a long time.  Perhaps too long.  I understand the urge, I do that more often than I should.  But it does not leave me feeling particularly alert and good the next day.  There is such a thing as too much sleep.  Were you actually asleep all that time?  Did you wake up part way through, lie there awake for a while and then go back to sleep?

Also consider that it could be something else than sleep apnea causing you to not feel good.  A trip to your GP for some tests might be in order.

I hear you chill, I don't usually sleep that long, but I've been trying to come down with something lately, and probably over did it last night. I wasn't asleep the whole time, I know I woke up, at least twice, and was able to get back to sleep, without getting up, and turning off the machine. Sometimes, I have to shut it off, and read for awhile. Lately though, I've been feeling bad, whether I sleep a long time or not. I had a physical with my GP, in January, and he said, I'm in pretty good shape, for the shape I'm in, and we talked about me, seeing an ENT, which is coming up the 16th.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had some sinus issues myself. My ENT recommended using saline rinses when a sinus infection started up, to help rinse out infectious material and help you breathe a bit better. Do check with your doc on that if you have any reservations or concerns about doing this.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.