Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'd like highest output humidifier.
I'd like highest output humidifier.
I'm using a ResMed9 with the humidifier setting  maxed out at 6.  But I am still fighting dry sinuses.  Does anyone know if Respironics or another brand puts out more water?  If I sleep 6 hours, the ResMed9 puts out about 3/4 of a cup.  (I guess I should measure the water in/out so I know for sure.  But lately I am getting so few hours that it would be hard to measure.)

Side issues are:  At first, I couldn't figure out why the very instant I put a mask on my nasal passage would get blocked off.  Then I realized the pressure was collapsing my nasal passages.  Using pillow is much better as they "inflate" my nasal passages.

Still, I had been up to 6 hours a night of successful CPAP use per night.  Now, I am down to around two hours when I wake up with discomfort from the nasal pillow pressing against my nose, plus dry sinuses. 

Now I am off on a rant.  I feel the joke is on me as I paid several thousand dollars out of pocket for a sleep study, only to get a cpap which it appears I am not going to tolerate, and I learn after the fact that this will cause me to lose my commercial driver's license.  Grrrrrrr.

I am using saline spray, saline gel, and back to trying Flonase and Claritin again.  Alkolol did not help me much.

Went to the ENT doctor to see why my sinuses are plugged and he says CPAP will do that.  He says blood tends to accumulate around the nose during cpap.  He suggested elevating the head of the bed.  Not sure I will be able to sleep that way either.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'd like highest output humidifier.
If you are using a Climateline heated tube, your H5i humidifier has two modes for Climate Control, Auto and Off. In Auto mode, the humidity output is controlled based on room temperature and humidity to provide humidity and prevent rain-out. With Climate Control OFF, the humidifier and tube are on manual settings and will produce more humidity output at the risk of rain-out. It sounds like you are using the Climate Control Off and have settings 0-6.0 in 0.5 increments, and temperature from 60 to 86 degrees. As far as I know that provides the maximum humidity output possible.

You could try an add-on humidifier. Fischer Paykel makes the HC150 humidifier which is two chambers and could be connected in-line with your current machine. It is huge overkill, but that's what you asked for. I think a better idea is to find out why your sinuses are dry and irritated. Excessive humidity is not a good thing when you get water up your nose.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply.  I did discover that the unit delivers more water on the manual setting than the automatic.  I am running a heated hose, and have experimented with different temperatures.

I may try the add-on humidifier.  I'll see if anyone else chimes in first.  As you warn, I don't want to drench myself.  But if Respronics or another puts out just a little more water than the ResMed, that may be good for me.

As I said in my post, I did go to an ENT doctor to try and understand my sinus problems.  He did not give me an answer I feel confident in.  Not sure what more I can do in that regard, except for ask others if they cured a similar problem.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately HC150 has almost same capacity as a autoset 10 humidifier. 
Post Reply Post Reply
A powerful humidifier can get you only so far. That is why the heated hose is so popular, it really is the only way to solve the problem. If you have all the settings on high, and wrap the hose to prevent rain-out if necessary, then that is the best you can do.

You could add a whole room humidifier like the type found in any Walgreens or the like, but be aware that the CPAP machine will sense the higher level of humidity in the room and as a result lower its own temperature. So I don't know if it would work but it seems worth a try.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2019, 05:56 PM)Sleepster Wrote: A powerful humidifier can get you only so far. That is why the heated hose is so popular, it really is the only way to solve the problem. If you have all the settings on high, and wrap the hose to prevent rain-out if necessary, then that is the best you can do.

You could add a whole room humidifier like the type found in any Walgreens or the like, but be aware that the CPAP machine will sense the higher level of humidity in the room and as a result lower its own temperature. So I don't know if it would work but it seems worth a try.

Unless you set it to manual.

There was a thread somewhere that outlined how to modify the humidifier and add a bottle to it, i can't remember what it was called, but it was more a diy project then anything,still it worked apparently.

I'd personally avoid humidifying the whole room, due to mold growth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:  So I got scientific and measured the water I poured in and subtracted the water I poured out in the morning.  It used 1 cup plus 1 ounce of water in the 4.8 hours I used it last night.  So, I presume that is a normal amount? 

I do use a heated hose and have the machine set to manual and use the highest humidity setting of six.  Last night and the night before I achieved over 4 hours use.  I had been only getting about 2 hours on it for several nights previously.  AHI is typically less than 3, but sometimes bumps above 5.

If the ENT doctor is right and the cpap is responsible for my nasal congestion which I am now aware is with me 24/7, I don't know if it is worth it to me to continue cpap therapy.  Even when I do get over 4 hours usage, I do not feel any more rested during the day.

Thanks for all the replies!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ranjean, 

That issue is compromising your apnea treatment for sure. Have you considered having a different ENT or a sleep doctor look at this?

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Stan:  I intend to struggle to find a solution a little more and then probably see the sleep doctor's assistant again.  I admit I have been delaying that visit because I  have been feeling used and abused by the sleep apnea caregiving system.

I was too naive to know that over 50% of the time sleep apnea patients give up on their cpap machine because they can't get used to it.  I "woke up" soon enough to see the writing on the wall that my insurance was not going to pay, so at least I bought my cpap more cheaply than going through a DME.  I am still highly ungruntled that I am going to lose my commercial driver's license and had the honor of paying several thousand dollars out of pocket for the privilege. 

None of my sleep caregivers sounded a note of caution on these issues, and therefore I don't feel like they have my best interests at heart at this point. 

And I haven't even mentioned the invasion of privacy in our own bedrooms yet.

But still, I want to make the machine work for me, save my CDL, and feel more healthy.  Success is in doubt, but I appreciate all who have read my post and offered advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
This may sound counter-intuitive, but CPAP humidification at high levels can contribute to congestion. You might want to try a lower setting, and be sure the mask straps for your nasal pillows is not tight. A lighter fit will avoid a lot of problems. Use the largest size nasal pillows that work without leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 322 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 788 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 516 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.