Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping Logistics Questions-Side/Back
Sleeping Logistics Questions-Side/Back
How do you handle the problem of falling asleep on your side and flipping on your back?

I've tried flatter pillows so that when I go to my back while asleep, maybe I can still breathe, but I've been told my throat airway is very small, and I really can't breathe very well on my back.  I tried a neck collar and just can't stand the extra warmth and feeling of claustrophobia.  Also flatter pillows don't support my neck enough when I'm on my side, so it's hard to fall asleep and my neck hurts. Also tried raising the head of the bed - no difference except it feels uncomfortable.

Does anyone still try the tennis ball thing in the back of the shirt, and does it really work?

I know I would feel much better and sleep much better if I could just stay on my side most of the night.  When I use a pillow to support side sleeping, and I then flip on my back, it tilts my head up at an angle that closes the airway.

My "numbers" are ok - about 2.5 average, but I suspect I am mouth breathing and struggling to breathe when on my back-dry mouth and sore throat, etc. I've tried a few full face masks and just can't stand the feeling of them, and the AHIs increase, and I can't get any of them to seal if I move more than an inch to either side....I'm using a ResMed FX Nasal Mask right now - not perfect, but it's the best of all the ones I've tried.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping Logistics Questions-Side/Back
I've heard some use a body pillow with some success. You can find them on line.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've looked into that, but because of chronic pain issues, I flip from side to back to side all night, and I would need to be able to flip at least from side to side. That sounds difficult moving a body pillow around from side to side all night. I need an automatic "position sensing" moving body pillow - that should not be a problem...Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Post a Daily chart, the VAuto should adjust for back/side sleeping,  You settings may need to be adjusted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2018, 01:45 PM)bluemom51 Wrote: I've looked into that, but because of chronic pain issues, I flip from side to back to side all night, and I would need to be able to flip at least from side to side.  That sounds difficult moving a body pillow around from side to side all night.  I need an automatic "position sensing" moving body pillow - that should not be a problem...Smile

Although I don't have the pain problem you have, I do have issues that using a body pillow relieves. I trained myself years ago (when Noah's birdie brought him the olive branch) to avoid sleeping on my back. I use pillows on both front and back, pulled up tight, and I nestle between them. It's much easier to rotate from my right (preferred) side to my left. I should point out that sleepwear is a consideration: I can't wear the soft knit or flannel I like; it must be silky and on the snug side (such that folds won't get caught under my body and keep me from twisting around).

Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds like a possibility - hadn't thought of using 2 body pillows and I like having mooshy pillows around.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm will post a couple of days graphs this week-end.  I am actually recording my sleep for the next 2 nights to see if I am mouth breathing a lot and if it is when I am on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 405 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.