Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I did something really stupid and I think I broke my machine
RE: I did something really stupid and I think I broke my machine
Did your parents not teach you that water and electricity don't mix?  Oh-jeez

I agree with Sleeprider.. your knowledge is nowhere near sufficient, you shouldn't be opening anything more complicated than bottle of beer.

Take the machine to a technician and let them evaluate it. 

Be thankful you did not electrocute yourself, or cause a short circuit in your house wiring and start a fire.

Sorry for being so blunt, but you are risking yourself by attempting to work on the machine yourself.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2020, 02:36 PM)cbcbcbcb Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 08:41 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Don't do anything. You clearly have no idea how this machine works.  Put it in your car and drive to the DME where you got it, and ask for instructions. Let them evaluate and dry out the machine.  Anything further you do could cause damage that won't be covered., especially disassembly.  The DME should have instructed you on the correct use of the machine and how to put water in the humidifier tub.  Again. put down the screwdriver, get your keys and take the machine back where you got it.

I suspect you may have simply filled the humidifier tub through the tube in the top of the machine. The humidifier tub pulls out from the right side of the machine. Just grasp the clear tub top and bottom and pull it out.  It opens up to empty and fill.  You can then dry out the humidifier chamber.  Owner's manuals are a good thing to read.

I was attempting to clean the internal airway of the machine and assumed the intake tube just went straight through to the humidifier intake, but obviously it doesn't.  The intake tube is behind the filter on the left side of the machine.

After i saw the pulsing air i just let it sit all night with the airways open, as my personal assumption (not knowing the internals of this thing (obviously lol)) is that there's some sort of mass air sensor in there that got wet, similar to the airflow sensor in an automobile intake tract.

Okay, that's the worst case scenario. Follow Plan-A. You just dumped water into the pneumatic unit and main board.  That machine is toast.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2020, 06:40 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: Did your parents not teach you that water and electricity don't mix?  Oh-jeez

I agree with Sleeprider.. your knowledge is nowhere near sufficient, you shouldn't be opening anything more complicated than bottle of beer.

Take the machine to a technician and let them evaluate it. 

Be thankful you did not electrocute yourself, or cause a short circuit in your house wiring and start a fire.

Sorry for being so blunt, but you are risking yourself by attempting to work on the machine yourself.

Surprisingly I used to repair electronics and PC equipment, lol.  Anyways, to also be blunt there's no reason why an air inlet should have any exposed electronics or wiring, considering humidity and the fact that this inlet is literally inches from a humidity tank full of water.  This is why I assumed running water through the inlet would be ok, and I've confirmed this by taking the unit apart and verifying all wiring is sealed.  So while I agree that what I did what stupid and brazen, it's based in some level of understanding on the nature of the device and what makes sense from an engineering standpoint.  Assuming there would be exposed electronics inside an air inlet seems even stranger of an assumption personally 

Anyways to make a long story short, I've taken it apart and confirmed the motor and fans spin freely and smoothly.  It appears that my initial assumption is correct as I found two small jets, one of which blows into an enclosed sensor on the circuit board and those jets were full of water.  Blew them all out with an air compressor and put the motor in a bag of rice earlier just to be safe, but I'm fairly confident that's what was going on.  Thanks for your help and well deserved scorn, everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fingers crossed that it all dries out and works again for you then..

Maybe leave the motor in the rice for two or three days to ensure it absorbs the moisture fully.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
What on earth have I just read!!
Pouring water in the air intake is one thing, why would you turn on the machine after that before it had a chance to dry?
Electronics are remarkably resilient to a soaking as long they haven't been energised.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2020, 12:02 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Sorry, but I have to ask! You said that you poured water down the intake tube behind the filter. I'm assuming that you meant the machine's air filter? 

What in the world would possess you to do that?  Dont-know

That is exactly what I was asking myself.  CBCBCB said he/she knew it was silly doing it but still did it!!!   Oh-jeez
Why not just throw it in a bucket of water!   Big Grin

All that can be done is to try to dry it out or own up and take it for repair, this might have to be done anyway!   Rolleyes 

What were they thinking, I like you just have to ask as I can't think why someone would think that pouring water in there was a good idea?

But it is done now, I would try drying it out by blowing cool air through it, but this may take some time.  Better just to say you did something stupid and take it for repair.

This has me totally confused as to why they did this, however, it is done now!  It will almost certainly need a now motor, it may have also damaged the board.  CBCBCB, I know you must be feeling like a right idiot right now, but believe it or not that is NOT the daftest thing I have seen done to a CPAP machine.  But you are right up there!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2020, 04:28 AM)sleepyp Wrote: What on earth have I just read!!
Pouring water in the air intake is one thing, why would you turn on the machine after that before it had a chance to dry?
Electronics are remarkably resilient to a soaking as long they haven't been energised.

I looked to see if it was April the 1st, but it wasn't!!!!   Shock-2    Banana
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2020, 07:39 PM)cbcbcbcb Wrote: Surprisingly I used to repair electronics and PC equipment, lol.  Anyways, to also be blunt there's no reason why an air inlet should have any exposed electronics or wiring, considering humidity and the fact that this inlet is literally inches from a humidity tank full of water.  This is why I assumed running water through the inlet would be ok, and I've confirmed this by taking the unit apart and verifying all wiring is sealed.  So while I agree that what I did what stupid and brazen, it's based in some level of understanding on the nature of the device and what makes sense from an engineering standpoint.  Assuming there would be exposed electronics inside an air inlet seems even stranger of an assumption personally 

Anyways to make a long story short, I've taken it apart and confirmed the motor and fans spin freely and smoothly.  It appears that my initial assumption is correct as I found two small jets, one of which blows into an enclosed sensor on the circuit board and those jets were full of water.  Blew them all out with an air compressor and put the motor in a bag of rice earlier just to be safe, but I'm fairly confident that's what was going on.  Thanks for your help and well deserved scorn, everyone.

I have not taken a ResMed Airsense10 apart yet, but if it is two small jets leading to sensors (maybe just small tubes) than you may have been lucky and no water got to the circuit board and only the motor got it, providing the motor didn't do damage to the circuit board controller, depending what component the used to drive the motor, drying the motor might if you are lucky be all that is required.
Dry it with a tin of air duster.  Leave it in a warm place.  Than hope for the best, good luck.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2020, 07:20 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 07:39 PM)cbcbcbcb Wrote: Surprisingly I used to repair electronics and PC equipment, lol.  Anyways, to also be blunt there's no reason why an air inlet should have any exposed electronics or wiring, considering humidity and the fact that this inlet is literally inches from a humidity tank full of water.  This is why I assumed running water through the inlet would be ok, and I've confirmed this by taking the unit apart and verifying all wiring is sealed.  So while I agree that what I did what stupid and brazen, it's based in some level of understanding on the nature of the device and what makes sense from an engineering standpoint.  Assuming there would be exposed electronics inside an air inlet seems even stranger of an assumption personally 

I have not taken a ResMed Airsense10 apart yet, but if it is two small jets leading to sensors (maybe just small tubes) than you may have been lucky and no water got to the circuit board and only the motor got it, providing the motor didn't do damage to the circuit board controller, depending what component the used to drive the motor, drying the motor might if you are lucky be all that is required.
Dry it with a tin of air duster.  Leave it in a warm place.  Than hope for the best, good luck.

Yeah the sensor that the jets blow into is completely enclosed, and as I had assumed originally there are no exposed electronics or uninsulated wiring.  They made it dummyproof for people like me thankfully. 

Anyhoo, in case some other impulsive person is looking at this thread in the future: the unit is now back to working with no issues, so it appears that it was just a matter of water getting blown onto the air sensors on the circut board.   You can find these at the top of the air pump, they are two small jets with blue rubber seals sitting on them.  Just blow them out with some air, and then blow out the sensor on the board with some air.  Bada bing bada boom.

I just wanna say I love that there is this active of a forum full of people with a penchant for cpap.  The internet never ceases to amaze me.  Thanks again for the help, boyos.
Post Reply Post Reply
cbcbcbcb,
Thanks for sticking with us.  Most folk would have run away with all the "good natured" criticism.   Smile

In any case, it's good to see your machine back up and running!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question My CMS50I Broke Brewskie 8 292 01-10-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Brewskie
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,172 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,793 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  mask broke jammer521 3 1,444 12-24-2020, 02:12 AM
Last Post: jammer521
  Is this normal or my APAP is simply stupid? fejsbukpejdz 45 4,241 06-21-2020, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Geer1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.