Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member Introduction and questions
RE: New member Introduction and questions
I just tried using the two devices last night after switching arms. It seems this time they were right in sync with just about all spo2 drops lining up between the two. The only thing I noticed was that the right arm consistently read lower than the left arm by around 2-4%. I’m stating it that way because last night, with the oximeters on opposite arms the right arm read low lower. I guess my left arm has better circulation than my right arm.

I think I’ll try checking up on the sleep doctor today.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 4%(+/-) difference is within the stated accuracy of the SpO2 devices.  You might try swapping the sensors to the opposite arm and see if the SpO2 drop follows the device or remains with the arm.  I know my doctor always takes the BP in both arms due to possible deviations.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s basically what I did last night. I swapped the arms they were on from Monday night. The lower readings followed the arm and not the spo2 devices. The right arm was consistently lower with both devices. I have arthritis and tendonitis in my right arm, so that might be affecting the circulation too.
Post Reply Post Reply
While you kill time waiting for the formal sleep study, this plot might be interesting for you.

It shows me going into a a cyclic breathing pattern where my breathing waxes and wanes.
Notice the effect it has on my SpO2 oxygen levels as they swing up and down

By the way, I'm now using a different machine type (ASV) that cleared up all that cyclic/periodic breathing.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=18348]

The post is on my thread here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid325652
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks similar to mine. Here’s 1/2 hour from last night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Coincidence? Who knows.. that's what the sleep study will tell you. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
It has a tendency to oscillate with larger and larger dips until it wakes me up. I think the last big drop woke me up in this screenshot because my breathing smoothed out. Here’s 20 minutes from last night.

Post Reply Post Reply
I thought I’d continue my ongoing saga. After my experience last night, I don’t think my problem is just sleep apnea, if at all. In the middle of the night, the alarm went off for low spo2 with it in the low 80s. I started taking deep breaths to increase my spo2 level, but I wasn’t able to bring it back up out of the 80s until I stood up and continued breathing deeply. That went on for about 5 minutes. I didn’t feel short of breath or a need to breathe during this. The only way I knew was by the alarm. This was on the arm that usually reads higher. I’m still not sure if it was localized to my arm, a problem with the meter, or represented what was actually happening. I have had elevated hemoglobin and hematocrit for a while now, which could be compensating for the low o2. This might have been going on for years undetected.

I’ve attached a screenshot from the event last night.

Post Reply Post Reply
While you are waiting for the sleep study, you should probably see your doctor about this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I managed to get a sleep dr appointment for early March. I’m starting to think the strange things I saw with my oxygen low for a while were me reducing the circulation to my arm. I started recording myself as I sleep and matching with the log. I checked on a drop without an increased heart rate and saw that my arm was bent at a sharp angle. I then checked on the groupings of spo2 drops and they all corresponded to when I was sleeping on my back. I also noticed that even for some of the deeper drops, my breathing seemed to just slowdown and was a lot weaker until I eventually took deep breaths. So far, I haven’t seen myself struggling to breathe while this is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 147 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.