Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I don’t think I like humidification - is that normal?
I don’t think I like humidification - is that normal?
You read online via google how much of a great benefit humidification has to your treatment and comfort but I’m not sure if I like it or whether I’m doing something wrong. 

So I’ve got the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with humidair and climateline rube which was set to auto climate control and auto tube heat.

Recently I tried going back to a standard hose and no humidification and I think I prefer it without.

Maybe it’s the settings or what but I seem to be more congested with humidification than without.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I don’t think I like humidification - is that normal?
It really is more of comfort and personal preference. I would think the type of mask drives its use. I think using pillows might be impossible without humidification, at least for me.

If where you live has very low humidity, it may become more of a necessity.

I’m sure some will cite benefits based on studies for using humidification.

That said, I have never used a humidifier since I started in 2001. My decision was purely for convenience.

If you are getting good numbers and you feel like you are getting good sleep, go for it. You can always go back.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidifiers and heated hose use is personal preference and comfort. If you like xPAP without, that's OK. It's not required.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same machine as you. Early on in my therapy, I tried using my machine w/o the humidification. Thought I'd give it a try and see what happened. 

I didn't like it at all, which was quite a surprise to me. It only took me one night w/o the humidity to go back to using it. Then again, it is a personal preference. It just wasn't right for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
My very first machine did not have a humidifier built in.  Not sure they were even available so far back.  One of the biggest reasons I probably gave up was that my mouth was so dry that I could not stand it.  Now, although I am having many issues contributing to unsuccessful results, dry mouth is no longer a problem.  I am very thankful for having my humidifier this time around.  I hope the Bipap I will be getting has one built in as well.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in the US South. In the summer, I don't use the humidifier.

We have a pellet stove and the house air gets dry. I use the humidifier when the stove is on in the winter.

If I am going through seasonal allergies in the summer, I use the humidifier to help my nasal passages and my lungs.

In my experience, if you are stuffy when you wake and it clears soon after taking off the mask, the humidity is too high. If you are stuffy and your snot is bloody, it's too low. If it stays stuffy, you can try a decongestant. Or you can use a nasal rinse before and after sleeping. Some use the pot, I use the bottle by Ayr (my wife uses the one by Neill). During allergy episodes, colds, whatever, I love love the nasal rinse.

As always, if the stuffiness continues despite your efforts, consult with your GP. There might be something going on up there such as a polyp.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I normally use the humidifier set at a low level. Too much humidity bothers me. When I travel, typically 2-3 weeks at a time, I leave the humidifier at home and have no ill effects without it. One of the biggest benefits for me is that it muffles the noise. The machine is much quieter with the humidifier. For this reason, I'd probably use the humidifier even if I didn't want the humidity. I'd just leave the heat turned off.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t use a humidifier I prefer the cool air when I sleep, I just run the hose under the bed clothes so the air is warmed by my body, it just goes to show we are all different
Post Reply Post Reply
I gave up the humidifier about 5 years ago. When I got my new machine ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset I got the side panel option with it so I don't have the tank fitted.
I did use the humidifier when I was in the hospital getting my knee replacement as the aircon made
the air dry.
I don't have any problems with using nasal pillows .

PS You might want to post a chart or two from OSCAR if you are running your machine with the
4-20 pressure. A narrower pressure range is usually better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F20 full face mask
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 416 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Humidification Issue With Air Mini ICS55 15 5,268 02-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pwnorris
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 253 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,694 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 726 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.