Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I dont know what mask I want
Question 
I dont know what mask I want
Im going in Monday to get my machine and my mask and Im so confused on what mask to get! I tried the piliaro in the sleep clinic but I don't think that will work for me, it hurt the inside of my nose and the tip of my nose was sore the next day even tho my numbers were ok they said I had an ahi of 2.4 ide like to get lower and the most important thing for me is leaks and comfort

Im thinking the wisp now the only reason im second guessing myself about the wisp is my hair I know I will be wearing this everynight and I don't wanna get hair loss or something because of the straps im growing my hair out long (its already really long its to the middle of my back and I just had 6 inches cut off lol) but I do have a problem with hair breakage and I know the straps will make that worse

So I was thinking about the swift fx with the bella loops im not really sure which I should go with first does anyone have suggestions Smile

Thank you!
Sarah <3
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I dont know what mask I want
Masks are like shoes, you've try for yourself to find what works best for you and have to fit right, not something have to get used to
Best mask for me, might be the worse mask for you or vice versa

Mask have to be feel comfortable and seal well without over tighten the straps. Good fit is essential
Ask your DME about masks return so you can try the mask at home and return within 30 days

Post Reply Post Reply
Take some time and make them earn their pay by allowing you try several different types until you find one that you think will suit. Definately check on the return/exchange time.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is useless without a good mask. So don't "settle". Some you will know as soon as you put it on that it just will not work. Others may take a single night, still others may take several nights. Ask about their return/trial policy in terms of trying out masks. If they do not have such a policy, then go elsewhere. Seriously, go somewhere else. Most offer anywhere from 2 weeks to 30 days to try a mask out before it becomes yours.

Nasal masks cover just the nose. Many have a "bridge" that goes up and rests against the forehead to provide even support and balance.
Nasal pillows go up into the nose. The headgear for these can vary widely. The Bella Loops are popular but I wonder how they work at higher pressures. Anyone know?
Full face masks cover the nose and mouth. Shortened to FFM. They have leak issues although there's pads and liners to correct this.
Hybrid masks are part nasal pillow and mouth mask.
Then there's the Oracle, an oral only mask (fits like SCUBA gear).

If you do not open your mouth or breathe through your mouth at night, you do not need the hybrid or FFM. If you do mouth breathe in your sleep, try a chin strap first as FFMs can be difficult to adjust to.

If you have a small nose or odd nose, you may want the nasal pillows. I use a nasal pillow because I have a tiny wee nose and every nasal mask I tried leaked into my eyes which can potentially be dangerous.

If you have a fairly normal face, you can try the nasal masks.

Don't despair when/if you get to mask six or more and still haven't found one that works. If one doesn't feel right, ask about sizes. Perhaps you need one smaller or larger. Many of the nasal pillows have interchangeable pillows (the bit that goes into the nose) that go into the same holder. Others the pillows are built in. Nasal masks have difference sizes as well.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2013, 03:07 PM)zonk Wrote: Masks are like shoes, you've try for yourself to find what works best for you and have to fit right, not something have to get used to
Best mask for me, might be the worse mask for you or vice versa

Mask have to be feel comfortable and seal well without over tighten the straps. Good fit is essential
Ask your DME about masks return so you can try the mask at home and return within 30 days

That's definitely true....Ive been noticing that, some masks work great for some and they swear by them and others hate them and have terrible leaks I guess it just depends on the person I will definitely be trying more than one I think lol or I could be lucky and manage to get the right mask right away ( I doubt it haha) either way as long as I end up finding a good one at some point

(05-18-2013, 03:40 PM)blebs Wrote: Take some time and make them earn their pay by allowing you try several different types until you find one that you think will suit. Definately check on the return/exchange time.
I definitely will I have a problem with feeling like im bugging people but you know what their getting paid for it and its going to be on my face everynight not theirs so I need to make sure its right!

(05-18-2013, 07:21 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The machine is useless without a good mask. So don't "settle". Some you will know as soon as you put it on that it just will not work. Others may take a single night, still others may take several nights. Ask about their return/trial policy in terms of trying out masks. If they do not have such a policy, then go elsewhere. Seriously, go somewhere else. Most offer anywhere from 2 weeks to 30 days to try a mask out before it becomes yours.

Nasal masks cover just the nose. Many have a "bridge" that goes up and rests against the forehead to provide even support and balance.
Nasal pillows go up into the nose. The headgear for these can vary widely. The Bella Loops are popular but I wonder how they work at higher pressures. Anyone know?
Full face masks cover the nose and mouth. Shortened to FFM. They have leak issues although there's pads and liners to correct this.
Hybrid masks are part nasal pillow and mouth mask.
Then there's the Oracle, an oral only mask (fits like SCUBA gear).

If you do not open your mouth or breathe through your mouth at night, you do not need the hybrid or FFM. If you do mouth breathe in your sleep, try a chin strap first as FFMs can be difficult to adjust to.

If you have a small nose or odd nose, you may want the nasal pillows. I use a nasal pillow because I have a tiny wee nose and every nasal mask I tried leaked into my eyes which can potentially be dangerous.

If you have a fairly normal face, you can try the nasal masks.

Don't despair when/if you get to mask six or more and still haven't found one that works. If one doesn't feel right, ask about sizes. Perhaps you need one smaller or larger. Many of the nasal pillows have interchangeable pillows (the bit that goes into the nose) that go into the same holder. Others the pillows are built in. Nasal masks have difference sizes as well.

I know that my pressure is 7 that's what they said at the sleep study so I think I have an average to light pressure so im hoping the swift fx bella will be good unless the dme tells me about something else im gonna try to go for that first and if it doesn't than I will try out the wisp etc im not really sure what my nose is like lol I know the small nasal pillows were bugging me when I tried some on at the sleep lab so I think I have small nostrils but a somewhat pointy nose I feel like I have a big nose but others tell me that I really don't but I still think its somewhat pointy that's probably why the pilairo pushed against the tip of my nose also I tried another one on I don't know what it was called but they said my hair was too slippery for the headgear on that one that's how I ended up with the pilairo which was nice but didn't work for me cause of the slight pain issues inside my nose and the tip but yeah im definitely going to check out the return policy im praying its good cause I wanna get my machine as soon as possible and finding another place would just take even longer but its more important to get the right mask and not get stuck with a bad one! Wish me luck! Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using a CPAP for five years so have some experience with different machines and masks.
I just got a new machine - a ResMed S9 AutoSet with humidifier and heated hose. The mask I picked is a DeVillbiss: Aloha Nasal Pillow Mask.
I must say it is a great improvement of my old setup which was top of the line 5 years ago. I would recommend the nasal pillow style if you can get a good fit - most have different sized pillows to fit smaller noses. The Aloha is very light and the cheek pads are contoured to fit nicely - my old mask left sleep marks on my cheeks - this one does not.
I like the variable pressure setting on the S9. The heated tube has totally eliminated any condensation issues which I had with the old system - you can turn up the humidifier as high as you like - no dry mouth or sniffling in the morning. I find the new system so comfortable that I do not need to use the ramp up feature to go to sleep. Also much quieter for my wife - she says she can hardly hear it now.

Good luck on picking your machine and mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2013, 08:27 PM)NVgoodtimes Wrote: I have been using a CPAP for five years so have some experience with different machines and masks.
I just got a new machine - a ResMed S9 AutoSet with humidifier and heated hose. The mask I picked is a DeVillbiss: Aloha Nasal Pillow Mask.
I must say it is a great improvement of my old setup which was top of the line 5 years ago. I would recommend the nasal pillow style if you can get a good fit - most have different sized pillows to fit smaller noses. The Aloha is very light and the cheek pads are contoured to fit nicely - my old mask left sleep marks on my cheeks - this one does not.
I like the variable pressure setting on the S9. The heated tube has totally eliminated any condensation issues which I had with the old system - you can turn up the humidifier as high as you like - no dry mouth or sniffling in the morning. I find the new system so comfortable that I do not need to use the ramp up feature to go to sleep. Also much quieter for my wife - she says she can hardly hear it now.

Good luck on picking your machine and mask.

Im glad you got a new machine Smile that's the one that I want and I asked my doctor to prescribe it for me and she did so hopefully I will get it it seems like a really good machine Smile All the different features definitely make a difference im sure I will also check out the aloha ive heard good things about that mask as well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi NVgoodtimes,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Glad you got an S9Autoset, great machine, IMHO.
Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LolaBelle,
Good luck on your mask and machine.
I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2013, 11:09 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi LolaBelle,
Good luck on your mask and machine.
I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Thank you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,211 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] my results dont mirror others dward1972 9 1,032 04-02-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is it normal that CPAPs dont register smaller leaks? vrapche031 4 1,434 06-16-2020, 03:01 PM
Last Post: vrapche031
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,424 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.