I feel horrible. My doctor won't raise the pressure, why would she lower it?
Debra Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed elite 11
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F and P
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 5
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Question I feel horrible. My doctor won't raise the pressure, why would she lower it?
I've been trying to become compliant for around four months. My AHI started at 12 and my pressure was set at 6. I had my follow up and my AHI had only gone down to 10. My doctor then raised the pressure to 7. Still no change in my AHI. What I don't understand is why she then bumped the pressure down to 5. Shouldn't she be raising the pressure not lowering it? I feel like I'm wasting 6 weeks more of feeling worse than ever. She just changed the pressure down to 5 yesterday and I woke up last night during an apnea event. I feel like giving up. Anyone know why she'd lower the pressure instead of raising it? [/font]
05-19-2015 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

RE: I feel horrible. My doctor won't raise the pressure, why would she lower it?
Call your doctor and ask her what the heck she's doing and WHY! Insist on talking to the doctor because you want an explanation that you can understand. If you are often a befuddled person, do you have a family member who can advocate for you? I know it's tough when you are SO TIRED you can't think - I'm there right now.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2015 10:17 AM by Mosquitobait.)
05-19-2015 10:12 AM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: I feel horrible. My doctor won't raise the pressure, why would she lower it?
The reason for reducing the pressure may have to do with the type of apnea you are experiencing. It is hard to tell without knowing what type of events have made up your AHI.
05-19-2015 10:55 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

(05-19-2015 10:55 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  The reason for reducing the pressure may have to do with the type of apnea you are experiencing. It is hard to tell without knowing what type of events have made up your AHI.

Agree, can you download sleepyhead and post some graphs? Or at least the numbers until you have enough posts to put up a pic.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
05-19-2015 10:58 AM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Hi Debra. I'm thinking what she may have done was to set the beginning ramp pressure to 5. The factory idea of a good time is 4, which is too low. But I'm also guessing she left the cpap pressure at 7.

What you need do is find out for yourself exactly what the machine is set on. To do that, download the manual for your machine so you can get into the clinician settings. You will be looking to see if ramp is on, and what pressure it begins with. Then you'll be looking to see what your cpap pressure is set at.

If it were me, ramp would be set to "off." As to the pressure? That depends on what your actual events are. How many of the OA type, vs CA, vs Hypop.
That you will determine from the Sleepyhead statistics you get when you download and install that software.

Mostly, hang in there, you will be fine. We'll help you get this figured out.

Oh: and about my guessing at what's going on? Understand that I'm really pretty accurate when it comes to guessing -- which is why I've done so well with guessing the lottery numbers, which counting tomorrow could mean I got it right once!
05-19-2015 11:17 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi Debra,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with CPAP therapy but I want to encourage you not to give up, just stick with it.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and don't give up.

trish6hundred
05-19-2015 02:52 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(05-19-2015 10:55 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  The reason for reducing the pressure may have to do with the type of apnea you are experiencing. It is hard to tell without knowing what type of events have made up your AHI.

That would make sense if the O.P. had a machine capable of producing useful data. She has a brick, which is the reason her doctor doesn't have a clue what to do.

05-19-2015 06:16 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(05-19-2015 10:07 AM)Debra Wrote:  I've been trying to become compliant for around four months. My AHI started at 12 and my pressure was set at 6. I had my follow up and my AHI had only gone down to 10. My doctor then raised the pressure to 7. Still no change in my AHI. What I don't understand is why she then bumped the pressure down to 5. Shouldn't she be raising the pressure not lowering it? I feel like I'm wasting 6 weeks more of feeling worse than ever. She just changed the pressure down to 5 yesterday and I woke up last night during an apnea event. I feel like giving up. Anyone know why she'd lower the pressure instead of raising it? [/font]

Since your AHI does not meet the criteria for efficacy, you need to push hard now for a machine upgrade. A Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset would give full data so your doctor could do something more than guess what to do. The machine you have does not produce any useful data other than compliance. When your AHI is this high, it's not your fault, it is the wrong prescription or machine. The problem is, no one will admit the mistake. If you had the Autoset, they could see the events, type and relate it to the pressure they occur at. Ask for an upgraded machine so everyone can quit guessing, and you can get some restful sleep!

05-19-2015 06:19 PM
AnnieUSA Offline

New Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed ClimateLineAir
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

"Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset would give full data... When your AHI is this high, it's not your fault, it is the wrong prescription or machine. ...If you had the Autoset, they could see the events, type and relate it to the pressure they occur at."

You seem like a smart cookie so I thought I'd ask you this question!

I have the Airsense 10 Autoset and the Sleepyhead software. My events are 9+ for the entire 5 weeks I've been on it. I'm smarter-than-the-average-bear but new to all this. Would you be willing to just give me a quick snapshot of what to look for to know if I should tinker up/down on the pressure? Even if it's to point me to a primer of sorts, I can take it from there.

MOST appreciated!
06-03-2015 08:16 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

(06-03-2015 08:16 AM)AnnieUSA Wrote:  Would you be willing to just give me a quick snapshot of what to look for to know if I should tinker up/down on the pressure? Even if it's to point me to a primer of sorts, I can take it from there.

MOST appreciated!

AnnieUSA - Welcome

It would be helpful to start your own thread. Lots of people can point you in the right direction. With your help. In your new thread, post some graphs from sleepyhead.

Good luck!

Alan

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
06-03-2015 08:43 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 243 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,285 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  1 night off of cpap.....feel great! duece12345 6 537 10-31-2016 08:55 AM
Last Post: robysue
  I Feel So Dumb - Climateline Hose Violetskyye 14 880 10-08-2016 11:15 PM
Last Post: Violetskyye
  Lower AHI when using HME filter dzwiss 9 455 09-28-2016 04:22 PM
Last Post: dzwiss
  New AHI Low but Didn't Feel That Great holden4th 1 275 09-09-2016 04:59 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Tried a few things to lower my AHI only to end up raising it Lanco 8 503 09-08-2016 09:55 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse