Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I feel like I lost the fight last nigjht! new link
I feel like I lost the fight last nigjht! new link
http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/fastfi...3.png.html
Any suggestions to any changes I could make?
I FEEL LIKE CRAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I feel like I lost the fight last nigjht!
The link is not working for me
Sorry, the requested page does not exist
Post Reply Post Reply

Sorry you don't feel good today.

The main good news is that YOU are working to figure it out rather than just passively doing the therapy with only an occasional Dr. visit to check your status.

How did you get those pressure settings? Were they a prescription or did you derive them from some previous results?

Your "AHI" isn't that high, but it looks like you also have as many FL events, but at the same time, your non-OA/non-FL events are only a quarter of the total so your pressure may not help much more with reducing these.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Feeling like crap doesn't really help us to help you very much. We really need a little more to go on than that.

If I remember correctly, when you posted before I asked why you decided to drop the pressure from your original pressure of 10, and suggested you might want to move it slightly up. Instead you lowered it again because when you hit "8" it woke you up.

I don't think you're sleeping better, so my guess is lowering the pressure each day is not solving the problem.

The one thing you have been consistently advised on is to not make dramatic, or perhaps any, changes until your body has a chance to adapt to the therapy. I think that's probably good advice. The only caveat' I would be concerned with is if you have lowered your pressure to a below therapeutic level, thereby creating a situation in which you feel like crap.

Let's start anew: What are your settings? What were you originally prescribed? ...and if you can, correct the uploaded reports so we can see them.

Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep test 3 weeks ago showed no SA . I told them before the test I do Not sleep well in new conditions. I slept only after they gave me sleeping pill. I slept 5.5hrs and not good at that.
Couple of months ago I was meeting with a bunch of older than I guys and they described there SA symptoms, a light went off in my head(That's what I am doing) waking up gasping for air and heart racing. So I got the sleep test.
I haven't slept good for 5 or 6 years now, just thought I was getting old.
I was so desperate to get a good nights sleep I bought a used CPAP and here I is!

Dave

(04-01-2014, 03:53 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Feeling like crap doesn't really help us to help you very much. We really need a little more to go on than that.

If I remember correctly, when you posted before I asked why you decided to drop the pressure from your original pressure of 10, and suggested you might want to move it slightly up. Instead you lowered it again because when you hit "8" it woke you up.

I don't think you're sleeping better, so my guess is lowering the pressure each day is not solving the problem.

The one thing you have been consistently advised on is to not make dramatic, or perhaps any, changes until your body has a chance to adapt to the therapy. I think that's probably good advice. The only caveat' I would be concerned with is if you have lowered your pressure to a below therapeutic level, thereby creating a situation in which you feel like crap.

Let's start anew: What are your settings? What were you originally prescribed? ...and if you can, correct the uploaded reports so we can see them.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2014, 04:03 PM)tired57 Wrote: My sleep test 3 weeks ago showed no SA . I told them before the test I do Not sleep well in new conditions. I slept only after they gave me sleeping pill. I slept 5.5hrs and not good at that.
Couple of months ago I was meeting with a bunch of older than I guys and they described there SA symptoms, a light went off in my head(That's what I am doing) waking up gasping for air and heart racing. So I got the sleep test.
I was so desperate to get a good nights sleep I bought a used CPAP and here I is!

Dave

(04-01-2014, 03:53 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Feeling like crap doesn't really help us to help you very much. We really need a little more to go on than that.

Dave, what you're describing to me is a whole different kettle of fish. This could easily be a result of nocturnal heart failure. Don't panic, it's certainly treatable. But not necessarily with a cpap machine. Google "nocturnal heart failure" and see what you discover. It can be heart congestion, lung congestion, etc, but what it really means is your heart is not getting the blood pumped around quickly enough, and it's causing you to feel like crap.

Go see Mr. Doctor right away. Suggest an echo cardiogram.

Congestive heart failure, should that be your issue, is very very treatable, so don't stress out about it. Also, don't ignore it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2014, 04:03 PM)tired57 Wrote: My sleep test 3 weeks ago showed no SA . I told them before the test I do Not sleep well in new conditions. I slept only after they gave me sleeping pill. I slept 5.5hrs and not good at that.
Ok---so you are self diagnosing and self treating without a formal diagnosis or help from a doc. That correct?

If that's really the case, let's start at the REAL beginning:

You say that you have not slept well for 5 or 6 years now. Other than the vague "I don't sleep well", how would you describe your sleep when you DON'T use the PAP? What, specifically, is bad about the sleep and what have you previously done to try to fix the sleep problems? Were any of the things you tried even partially successful?

Next: You say the sleep test 3 weeks ago showed no OSA. Have you seen the actual results, including the summary graphs? Or is all you know about the results of the sleep test from a message from the doc's office left on your phone saying "The sleep test was fine."? If you haven't seen the full report, including the summary graphs, you need to request that the report be sent to you---it will run somewhere between about 3 pages and about 6 or 7 pages, depending on how detailed it is.

Since you think that you have symptoms of OSA, it's also important to see if you can get a straight answer to these questions about the sleep test that you already had: What criteria were used for scoring the hypopneas? Was it the recommended standard (Rule 4.A) or was it the alternative standard (Rule 4.B)?

It's important to understand that for most people, it doesn't much matter which rule is used. But for a few people, the difference in scoring criteria can cause significantly different diagnoses. For example, if you don't tend to desat with hypopneas and you don't have many full fledged apneas, then it's possible that a sleep test will show "no OSA" under the "recommended" standard, but say that you have moderate (or even severe) OSA under the "alternative" standard. On the other hand, if you tend to desat badly with rather minor drops in airflow, it is possible that you might get an OSA diagnosis under the "recommended" standard, but be told the test shows "no OSA" under the "alternative" standard.

Finally: How long have you been using the APAP that you bought? Even when someone starts out with a quality titration study, it can take time to adjust to sleeping with a mask on your nose. And it can take several weeks to a couple of months after you are sleeping soundly with the mask to start noticing much improvement in terms of how you feel upon waking and during the rest of the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2014, 04:03 PM)tired57 Wrote: My sleep test 3 weeks ago showed no SA .
If the sleep doctor told you so, than your problems are not due to OSA
Many people have sleeping problems or/and other health problem not necessary have OSA

edit: do you have a copy of the sleep study report
Whats AHI and any Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS) noted

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2014, 04:27 PM)robysue Wrote:
Ok---so you are self diagnosing and self treating without a formal diagnosis or help from a doc. That correct?

If that's really the case, let's start at the REAL beginning:

You say that you have not slept well for 5 or 6 years now. Other than the vague "I don't sleep well", how would you describe your sleep when you DON'T use the PAP? What, specifically, is bad about the sleep and what have you previously done to try to fix the sleep problems? Were any of the things you tried even partially successful?

I am tired all day long and can usually take a nap at anytime.
I wake up as tired as I went to sleep. I am going to get a Ox meter that I can you all night to get 02 levels which I am sure are really low at times during the night.
Last night was the 4th night using the CPAP, THE 3RD night was the best sleep I can remember in years!
Last night I slightly raised the pressure but I had a bad night. Woke up aching all over with a bit of a head ach.

Quote:Next: You say the sleep test 3 weeks ago showed no OSA. Have you seen the actual results, including the summary graphs? Or is all you know about the results of the sleep test from a message from the doc's office left on your phone saying "The sleep test was fine."? If you haven't seen the full report, including the summary graphs, you need to request that the report be sent to you---it will run somewhere between about 3 pages and about 6 or 7 pages, depending on how detailed it is.

I have not seen the results but will ask for them.

Quote:Since you think that you have symptoms of OSA, it's also important to see if you can get a straight answer to these questions about the sleep test that you already had: What criteria were used for scoring the hypopneas? Was it the recommended standard (Rule 4.A) or was it the alternative standard (Rule 4.B)?

It's important to understand that for most people, it doesn't much matter which rule is used. But for a few people, the difference in scoring criteria can cause significantly different diagnoses. For example, if you don't tend to desat with hypopneas and you don't have many full fledged apneas, then it's possible that a sleep test will show "no OSA" under the "recommended" standard, but say that you have moderate (or even severe) OSA under the "alternative" standard. On the other hand, if you tend to desat badly with rather minor drops in airflow, it is possible that you might get an OSA diagnosis under the "recommended" standard, but be told the test shows "no OSA" under the "alternative" standard.

???

Quote:Finally: How long have you been using the APAP that you bought? Even when someone starts out with a quality titration study, it can take time to adjust to sleeping with a mask on your nose. And it can take several weeks to a couple of months after you are sleeping soundly with the mask to start noticing much improvement in terms of how you feel upon waking and during the rest of the day.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I feel like I lost the fight last nigjht! new link
When you put your answers inside the quote like that, it is difficult for us to figure out what you are saying vs what was quoted.

I went through it and fixed it.

Go look at this How-To on how to use quoted text.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...85#pid3285
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 178 10 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 85 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 271 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 895 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.