Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I feel like a Neanderthal in a room full of modern humans
RE: I feel like a Neanderthal in a room full of modern humans
As for the allergies, when was the last time you replaced the hose? The main one, not the one with the mask. Do you use a humidifier? When's the last time you changed out the tub?

Try a nasal rinse such as Neill Med or Ayr. I use the squeeze bottle (has a lid like sports bottles) type vs the neti pot. When it is allergy season (which should be any second now), I do a rinse right before bed and shortly after I get up. That helps clear the nasal passages of the allergen and any gunk that has accumulated. I use the humidifier, too, as the added moisture helps keep the gunk from drying out and makes it easier to remove either on its own or with the rinse.

Do you breathe through your mouth at night? That's why you use the chin strap?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2015, 11:33 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: As for the allergies, when was the last time you replaced the hose? The main one, not the one with the mask. Do you use a humidifier? When's the last time you changed out the tub?

Do you breathe through your mouth at night? That's why you use the chin strap?

Changed the tub? I didn't uh, no, never. The head gear is old old but the pillows are new. The hose is about 4 or 5 years old.

Yes, apparently I breathe through my mouth at night, hence the chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Change that hose! That's probably where the allergen is. Change the hose and the probably the tub.

Happened to me with my S7. I went through heck trying to figure out what I was allergic to. Then I went on vacation to Florida and thought I'd get relief. Nope, still just as bad. That's when we figured out it was the machine. Changed out the hose and that was it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I bought a cheap knock off online and tried to use it but it was so stiff that the noise of it kept waking me up but I'll try it again.

Thank you everyone for all your comments, suggestions and advice. I finally feel like I can possibly get control of this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2015, 06:41 PM)crabitha Wrote: Thanks. I bought a cheap knock off online and tried to use it but it was so stiff that the noise of it kept waking me up but I'll try it again.

Thank you everyone for all your comments, suggestions and advice. I finally feel like I can possibly get control of this.

Take it to the faucet and run hot water through it for a while. Mine fits over the end of my kitchen faucet, but that depends on the aerator you have.

This washes it out, and makes it warm. It may loosen up a bit when it gets warm. Pour the water out and then go to bed with it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2015, 09:18 PM)archangle Wrote:
(03-17-2015, 06:41 PM)crabitha Wrote: Thanks. I bought a cheap knock off online and tried to use it but it was so stiff that the noise of it kept waking me up but I'll try it again.

Take it to the faucet and run hot water through it for a while. Mine fits over the end of my kitchen faucet, but that depends on the aerator you have.

This washes it out, and makes it warm. It may loosen up a bit when it gets warm. Pour the water out and then go to bed with it.
Wow, GREAT idea. I have been extremely worried about sleeping tonight because last night with my old brick was horrible and I woke up sick, coughing, etc. I'm dreading trying to sleep tonight but I'm going to try that. Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2015, 09:34 PM)crabitha Wrote:
(03-17-2015, 09:18 PM)archangle Wrote: Take it to the faucet and run hot water through it for a while. Mine fits over the end of my kitchen faucet, but that depends on the aerator you have.

Wow, GREAT idea. I have been extremely worried about sleeping tonight because last night with my old brick was horrible and I woke up sick, coughing, etc. I'm dreading trying to sleep tonight but I'm going to try that. Thanks!

You can kind of sling it around your head like a lasso rope to help dry it out. But both for the washing process, and the swinging around your head drying process, I recommend you disconnect the hose from the machine first.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2015, 10:19 PM)retired_guy Wrote: You can kind of sling it around your head like a lasso rope to help dry it out.

There's no need to completely dry the hose if you wash it just before using it. Just pour out the water. The CPAP air will quickly dry it out, or if the humidity is too high, it will get wet anyway.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2015, 08:44 PM)crabitha Wrote: Recently (last fall) I started having a lot of nasal congestion and had difficulty using the nasal pillows. I have used my cpap religiously since the day I got it.
. . .
My pressure was 8 but I've been waking up with headaches and nauseous with my chest feeling funny for months so I was pretty sure I needed a higher setting. Since I didn't have the insurance to pay for anything until recently, I've been stuck with what I have.
. . .
I've changed the setting from 8 to 9 but I noticed that it has a beginning rate of 5. Any suggestions? I'm thinking it might need be higher but I don't want to do something dangerous. I just want to freaking sleep.

Switching from nasal pillows to a full face mask could easily change your pressure requirements.

The nasal pillows tend to inflate your nose and make a little more room for air, because they pressurize your nose from the inside (there's a pressure difference between the inside of your nose and the outside).

With a full face mask or regular nasal mask, there's no pressure differential between the inside and outside of your nose. This makes a difference in some people.

Also, your tongue position is different, which also makes a big difference.

If you were happy with your old mask until you became congested, you might want to try going back to it or a similar model.

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
Most health insurance either has a big deductible or requires you pay a substantial fraction of your durable medical equipment bill. Before you sign up for a new machine, make sure you understand the costs. You can buy a new machine online or a lightly used one with a warranty online and it might be a lot less money for you than your insurance deductible and/or co-pay. You can also find them unused or very lightly used on CraigsList. The market leader for the last several years has been the ResMed S9 AutoSet. Supplier #2 listed here on this message board has both new and used. Since everybody has them, they're the easiest machine to get help and advice for. The machine has subsequently been replaced by the ResMed AirSense 10. I have both machines and, for most people, they're functionally identical. If you go with Craigslist, check back here to learn how many hours are on the machine and to make sure you know the markings of the AutoSet version of the machine and avoid buying the inferior models that otherwise look identical.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 7 199 4 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 475 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 325 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 190 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 984 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 405 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 664 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.