Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I get same symptoms at the same time every night - whats going on .
Rainbow 
I get same symptoms at the same time every night - whats going on .
After many months of suffering the symptoms of sleep apnea I had a sleep test done . The sleep test results confirmed that I was suffering from severe sleep apnea.

I purchased a ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10 machine.

I have now been using that ResMed machine for around 6 months , the machine was originally set up by the doctor at the sleep test centre 
The settings are --

Ramp Time – Off
Climate Ctrl – Auto
Temp Tube – 20C
Pressure Relief – On
SmartStart – On
Mask – Full face
Mode – AutoSet
Max Pressure – 15
Min Pressure – 7 
Response – Standard
EPR- On
EPR Type – Full Time
EPR Level – 2
AB Filter – No
Essentials – Plus
Pressure Units – cmH20

I am using a Phillips Respironics DreamWear Full face mask .

Over the 6 months of using the ResMed machine I have never ever been able to fully drop off to sleep . The strange part I cannot understand is this........⬇︎

After going to bed around  10 pm / 11 pm  each night I lay on my side and it feels a fairly comfortable position. At this point I’m not always sure 100%  if I’m dropping off to sleep or not.

Then around the same time every night ( always around 12 midnight to 1 am ) I suddenly get a feeling that I have some thing stuck in my throat or I have swallowed an object and on many occasions at the same exact time I feel a single rush of air into my face mask for a split second and then its gone .

when this occurs I normally remove my face mask and turn off the ResMed machine and then try to sleep , which normally I find very difficult .

I can’t understand why I have the same symptoms around the same time every night , its always around 12 midnight to 1 am .

When the 12 midnight to 1 am feeling occurs I just remove the mask and turn off the ResMed machine . I have never switched the ResMed machine back on later after the 12 midnight and 1 am feeling occurs . 

I am 71 years old and I am taking daily omeprazole for reflux acid and in general good health.

I no longer have access to the original test centre doctor who set up my ResMed machine , and trying to make an appointment to see another doctor could take me a long time. 

I have just downloaded OSCAR for the first time and have included the first report from last night.

I live alone in a fairly remote area and due to the constant lack of sleep I’m starting to feel really distraught and depressed. Also after reading that there may be a risk of death if sleep apnea goes untreated .  I now keep thinking to my self , if I don’t / can’t get my sleep apnea situation under control , it may be the end for me.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated .

Thanks . 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I get same symptoms at the same time every night - whats going on .
Welcome to the board.  The only thing I see is you have large flow limits at that time.  Flow limits are apnea just not big enough to classify them as an O or H event.  When ResMed records flow limits the pressure is raised to stop them from being bigger events - O or H.  That rise in pressure is enough to get you a mask leak (looks like a mouth leak) and wake you up.

You could try adjusting the mask or you can try changing your pressures a little bit.

If you want to change pressure I would set them this way.

EPR 3 full time
Min 8

The EPR is how we treat flow limits and I think this setting will help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2022, 07:36 AM)staceyburke Wrote: Welcome to the board.  The only thing I see is you have large flow limits at that time.  Flow limits are apnea just not big enough to classify them as an O or H event.  When ResMed records flow limits the pressure is raised to stop them from being bigger events - O or H.  That rise in pressure is enough to get you a mask leak (looks like a mouth leak) and wake you up.

You could try adjusting the mask or you can try changing your pressures a little bit.

If you want to change pressure I would set them this way.

EPR 3 full time
Min 8

The EPR is how we treat flow limits and I think this setting will help.
Many thanks for your comment , its really appreciated .

I’m going to try and adjust the mask and alter the pressure settings to

EPR 3 full time
Min 8

and see how it goes tonight .

-
Post Reply Post Reply
Think you might have been awake until 11:30 that night (~1 hr with mask on)?

I see two main issues one is restriction, try 3 EPR and see if that helps at all. The other is leaks, it looks like you need to work at getting a better mask seal. It is also possible you have a leak somewhere else (hose, humidifer tank etc) because there was some level of leak present all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2022, 04:09 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Think you might have been awake until 11:30 that night (~1 hr with mask on)?

I see two main issues one is restriction, try 3 EPR and see if that helps at all. The other is leaks, it looks like you need to work at getting a better mask seal. It is also possible you have a leak somewhere else (hose, humidifer tank etc) because there was some level of leak present all night.

Many thanks for your advice , its appreciated .

The possible leak somewhere else is a good point and some thing I'm going to closely look for and report back .

Regards - Jimmy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 205 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 616 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 802 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.