GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

RE: I got SHINGLES from the vaccine !!!
(10-29-2014 07:57 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote:  So, after careful consideration, I went and got the Shingles vaccine 2 weeks ago. Last week, I had a really bad headache for about a week, THEN I noticed a little pimple/blister on my forehead. I went to the doctor and he said he wanted to get a brain scan because I had this headache for so long. I asked him, look at this little pimple, could I possibly have shingles? He say's no.

Anyway, I was thinking I really don't want to get a brain scan, but I will go tomorrow and do it. Next morning, I wake up and I am loaded with blisters all over my forehead, eyelids, and in my hair. I go to the Opthamoligist, and sure enough, I have Shingles from the shot. Well, I can't use my C-pap because the pressure of the mask is giving me a lot of pain, so I a propped up in bed on a wedge pillow so I don't have an issue, I know that if you sleep sitting up, your chances of having an apnea event is less. I am on a lot of pain stuff as well, so it's a bit worrying. On a nerve pill as well as a pain pill and Anti Viral and antibiotics. UGGGGGGGGGGOh-jeez

I had a full blown case of shingles last October. Did the pain pill and Anti-viral medicine thing, but the thing that seemed to help me the most was an over the counter medicine called "clear calamine" lotion. I realize with the blisters in your hair this might not work so well, but it did work for me with the blisters on my skin. I do hear you about not wanting anything touching the blisters. My skin stayed touchy like that for about 6 weeks and then started to get less sensitive. Another thing that seemed to help me was taking showers with the water not too hot. Really hot water aggravated the heck out of the blisters. Follow your doctors advice for caring for your skin after the blisters heal.

Hope the durn shingles goes away quick for you.Oh-jeez
10-30-2014 08:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Take care of yourself Marnid and hope you feel better soon.
Coffee
10-30-2014 10:32 AM
Eleong2 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics System One DS460 and Transcend EZEX CPAP
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Activa LT
Humidifier: Respironics System One DS6
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: Moderate to severe Sleep Apnea, started treatment Nov 13, 2013

I got the vaccine last year and sofar so good, I am probably jinxing myself. My wife came down with it a few months ago, she had it on her right leg and she had not gotten the shot (told shes was too young by Dr.). It started with intense pain and then came those blisters. The whole episode took a month and sites of the blisters have faded pretty much now. The doctor said she was lucky that she came down with a very mild case. Knowing what my wife went through, I feel for you and hope for a speedy recovery.
10-30-2014 11:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(10-30-2014 12:14 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote:  Dont think Ill take the shot just dodge those odds and maybe wind up with shingles from the shot.

Flawed logic Ghost.......... Get the shot. You really don't want full blown shingles. Marnie is an unfortunate exception.

(10-30-2014 04:25 AM)justMongo Wrote:  As you likely know, Shingles is a reactivation of the Chicken Pox Virus.
I didn't get Chicken Pox until I was 16 thanks to my younger sister.

My dad got shingles in 1959 at age 36. Shingles often erupts when a person is under heavy stress.

I believe you're right about the stress thing Mongo. That's how it worked for me.
10-30-2014 11:31 AM
Whitewabit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed V9 VPAP Adapt S9 (36067), ASV mode
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX, AirFit P10, AirFit F10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 5/4/9

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

Wife and I were just talking about getting the Shingles Vaccine .. we both had both gotten the Pneumonia Vaccine earlier this fall !!

Will have to investigate the odds of getting it from the vaccine .. I remember my mother had it on her mid section from waist to neck both front and back and had to sleep sitting up for weeks before the pain resided enough for her to lay down !! she made a cape like top to cover herself because she couldn't stand tight clothing to touch her skin ..
10-30-2014 12:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Before I got shingles I went to Walgreens and actually paid my money and filled out the paperwork to get the shingles vaccine. Before the Pharmacist would give me the injection, she went over the paperwork I had filled out. Turns out that one of the inert ingredients in the vaccine is one that I'm allergic to. She advised me not to get the vaccine and refunded my money on the spot. Would much rather have had the vaccine if I could have. Shingles is NOT fun at all! And I've had two flare-ups with mild case of blisters since my original outbreak. Sad
10-30-2014 12:27 PM
Marnid2014 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Circadience Advance Cloth Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4

Other Comments:

It has not been a good experience, but when all is said and done, I think people should still get the shot. They tell me if you don't and get shingles, it will be MUCH worse than what I have, and that is bad enough. The nerve pain is really bad, it just comes out of nowhere and jolts you like a bolt of electricity. I cannot use the mask for C-pap, it presses on the blisters, so I will just try sitting up as much as possible until this passes. Things could be worse, it just is what it is I guess.
10-30-2014 02:57 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Unfortunately, if you were already infected, the vaccine will cause a "mild" herpes outbreak in some cases as the body may treat the vaccine as pathway for the virus to express itself. It is rare, and in most cases happens only if the patient is already immunocompromised or otherwise in a state susceptible to the virus to normally express itself. Usually that will the last expression of the virus, or it will repeat a few times under stress situations but each time with less intensity as it burns itself out.

People with other herpes virii who take suppressive medication (Zovirax is the most common) often also experience an initial outbreak of the virus after starting on the medication.

A vesicle on the forehead is rather unusual for Herpes Zoster (shingles), and I do wonder if that has to do with that area being already irritated by the mask, thus providing a channel for the virus to follow and express itself.

I suggest that you start on a diet of lysine rich foods (pulses, beans, red meat, certain fish, etc) as a method of both combating the current outbreak and preventing further ones. In the meantime, keep it covered (compeed makes some good herpes plasters), dry, and should you touch it, wash your hands immediately and sterilise with alcohol based gels, do not touch your eyes, nose or any other part of your anatomy afterwards for a good ten minutes, and certainly not anyone else - so long as the vesicle is present and weeping, and up to a week after it has healed, the virus is still present and you can still be infectious.

I know how painful and debilitating any herpes outbreak is, and I wish you, as we say in Switzerland, Gute Besserung.
10-30-2014 05:14 PM
Marnid2014 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Circadience Advance Cloth Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4

Other Comments:

Thanks Doc.

Today the Opthomologist said it looks like the blisters are drying up. I am experiencing pain, like shooting nerve pain that comes out of nowhere. She gave me Hydrocodone for pain. I have been on the Anti Viral, Nurontin and an antibiotic. The lymph nodes are swollen as well. I do believe I am in the end stage of it, the horrible swelling in my eye is gone, THANK GOD. She doesn't see any problems with the eye and my vision is normal.

I will take your advice about the Lysine.
10-30-2014 06:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(10-30-2014 12:17 PM)Whitewabit Wrote:  Wife and I were just talking about getting the Shingles Vaccine .. we both had both gotten the Pneumonia Vaccine earlier this fall !!

Will have to investigate the odds of getting it from the vaccine .. I remember my mother had it on her mid section from waist to neck both front and back and had to sleep sitting up for weeks before the pain resided enough for her to lay down !! she made a cape like top to cover herself because she couldn't stand tight clothing to touch her skin ..

The rash around the trunk area is more classic for Herpes Zoster... (Shingles.)

BTW -- the recommendation for the pneumonia vaccine is two doses for us older geezers.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-30-2014 06:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Health] Flu vaccine for 2016-2017 available justMongo 7 351 09-05-2016 02:49 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear