Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I guess I'm a hose head now...
I guess I'm a hose head now...
Well, after about 6 weeks from my sleep study I finally have a machine!  It took some serious complaining and lots of phone calls to get to this point.

What I ended up with:

Airsense 10 Autoset
Dreamwear mask

I "innocently" asked about the SD card slot and was told a card did not come with the machine and there was no reason to put one in the slot.  It didn't do anything.

The resp. tech that set me up of course told me I should not ever, under any circumstances, change my pressure settings, that ONLY she could do that and that she would be monitoring my usage and settings remotely.

Jokes on her, because the first thing I did when I got home was clean the machine, put in an SD card, plug it in, turned on airplane mode, and changed the pressure from fixed at 7 to a range of 5 to 10, and humidifer from off to 3.   I have already confirmed with my insurance they do not require any compliance data.  

LOL

Anyway, it wasn't a terrible experience.  She definitely didn't know some things, most likely mislead me on a few points, and just flat out lied on others.  But I have my machine, I have my mask, and I can start capturing data tonight.  

I am a back sleeper and in my sleep study while on my back my AHI was 60.  With cpap on my back it was 0.  Here's hoping it works that well tonight for me.

Thanks to everyone here for all the great information here at Apneaboard!    

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I guess I'm a hose head now...
Congratulations! Don't forget to update your profile to reflect your new toys.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2017, 01:14 PM)KCFLY Wrote: Jokes on her, because the first thing I did when I got home was clean the machine, put in an SD card, plug it in, turned on airplane mode, and changed the pressure from fixed at 7 to a range of 5 to 10, and humidifer from off to 3.   I have already confirmed with my insurance they do not require any compliance data.  
Thanks

Good for you!   like
As long as you don't have to meet compliance, then do what works for you.  Even if you did have to meet compliance, insurance only cares about hours used.  

Let us know if you need help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent! Way to take control and ownership of your health. I find in most cases, if we don't advocate for ourselves we can easily fall through the cracks in the medical machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2017, 01:32 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Good for you!   like
As long as you don't have to meet compliance, then do what works for you.  Even if you did have to meet compliance, insurance only cares about hours used.  

Let us know if you need help.

I plan on getting Sleepyhead installed today so I can look at my data tomorrow.  I'm hoping everything looks great and I wont' need any help.  BUT, I'm planning on being ready to ask for help with good charts and data if needed.  Thanks for the offer of help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KCFLY,
GOOD JOB! way to go on taking charge of your CPAP therapy.
It will be great to hear how things go for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You may find that having the setting down to 5 is difficult to breathe. You may want to instead set it up to 6.

Congrats on your new machine and mask!!! Just an FYI - the first time I used my Dreamwear, I got a little frustrated with it. Don't give up!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sweeeeeeeeet!

Heads-up: I don't know if ResMed is similar to DreamStation with regard to Airplane Mode, but... With DreamStations, Airplane Mode automatically turns off every 3 days... which then allows the cellular part to function again.

So if you really care, you may need to babysit the Airplane Mode by turning it back on every 3 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Setting airplane mode on Resmed devices keeps it on airplane mode but will "nag" you to turn it off. Automatically turning it back on is BS as far as I am concerned.

Hydrangea- on the dreamstation you can just pull the modem out of the unit. It's located in the opposite hinged door to the SD card. Just pull until it comes out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2017, 07:21 AM)C0mbe Wrote: Setting airplane mode on Resmed devices keeps it on airplane mode but will "nag" you to turn it off.  Automatically turning it back on is BS as far as I am concerned.  

Hydrangea- on the dreamstation you can just pull the modem out of the unit.  It's located in the opposite hinged door to the SD card.  Just pull until it comes out.

That's good to hear about the ResMed.

Yep - I yanked the modem before I even got it home. If I had a ResMed, I would go inside it and disable the modem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 234 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,287 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.