Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have gained 10 lbs and I never feel rested on cpap
I have gained 10 lbs and I never feel rested on cpap
My doctor says it is impossibl that my weight gain is due to CPAP but when I stop using it I lose weight. Also, I feel better without CPaP but my husband reports that I stop breathing when I am not on Cpap? Any suggestions for me? Has anyone tried Inspire?
Lalae
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I have gained 10 lbs and I never feel rested on cpap
I don't know about impossible. I have read articles that weight gain with cpap therapy may be due to the fact that your treatment is working, and your appetite increases. Dont-know

Of course, we always try to find reasons why we gain weight, the bottom line is we eat too much, and move too little. Believe me, I'm not judging you, because I fall into that category too.

I originally lost weight and felt much better, but the last 6 months I haven't been watching as closely, and have gained a few back. So back to the drawing board!

If your husband says you stop breathing when you are not using cpap, why would you not use it? Consistent use of cpap is the only proven way to treat SA.

Your profile needs to be updated... Which machine are you using? There are several that fall under system one. Is is a straight cpap or an auto cpap?
What pressure is your machine set to. It cannot go as low as 3. Starts at 4cm and highest is 20cm.

Also, if your not using software, how do you know how well you are doing? Download SleepyHead software and start looking at your data. Possibly there are other reasons you feel better without.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Basically agreeing with your MD, I don't think that the use or lack of use of a CPAP alone contributes to weight gain or loss. It's use may induce your appetite via a increase of energy.
Sometimes we are appetite codependent with our spouses or friends to the point of weight gain. Is there a possible connection that the other person in your life is a bit overweight?
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting question on weight gain due to use of CPAP. In my case I was tracking my weight loss using LoseIt app from Nov 2015 and had a steady downward weight loss slope (avg -1.5lbs/week) until April 7 2016 the first day using APAP. On APAP the weight has kept rising up to May 9th when we left for an Alaska cruise. Naturally no one loses weight on a cruise. Since returning from the cruise weight is fairly static although trying to control calories. Does APAP treatment contribute to weight gain .. perhaps
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2016, 06:33 AM)Lalae Wrote: My doctor says it is impossible that my weight gain is due to CPAP but when I stop using it I lose weight.

Weight loss is due to a reduction in calorie intake, an increase in physical activity, or a combination of both. The fact is, there's a correlation between weight change and CPAP use. Demonstrating that any correlation is a cause-and-effect relationship is another matter.

And in this case, it doesn't matter, because it is what it is. If you tend to gain weight when using CPAP, then pay particular attention to your food intake and exercise level so that you avoid gaining weight.

There is in fact a demonstrated tendency to gain weight when on CPAP, and a demonstrated tendency to gain weight when not on CPAP, so just be careful and monitor your weight. Sometimes we think we've got it made because we've finally found a remedy in CPAP for some of our ailments, so we drop our guard and gain weight. On the other hand, without CPAP we are hungrier (we need the energy) so we tend to eat more.

Quote:Also, I feel better without CPaP but my husband reports that I stop breathing when I am not on Cpap? Any suggestions for me?

Stop paying attention to how you feel and realize that without CPAP therapy you will die early of a heart attack or stroke. Meanwhile the sleep deprivation will cause impaired cognition. It may also cause emotional problems such as anger, frustration, and anxiety. Often we are unaware of these emotions.

CPAP use does tend to make us feel worse at first because the therapy itself interferes with our sleep. I guarantee that if you commit to using your CPAP machine every time you sleep, all the time you are sleeping, and monitor your hours used, leak rate, and AHI making adjustments as necessary, you will eventually begin to feel better than you have in a very very long time. You'll have a new lease on life, and find an enjoyment in it that you long ago forgot was even possible.

Quote:Has anyone tried Inspire?

I don't know of anyone who tried it. Remedies like this are for people who can't or won't adapt to CPAP therapy. They are far less effective. There was a product called Provent that claimed to be an alternative to CPAP therapy. It even survived trials and got FDA approval. But the company has gone out of business.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2016, 11:35 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Weight loss is due to a reduction in calorie intake, an increase in physical activity, or a combination of both. The fact is, there's a correlation between weight change and CPAP use. Demonstrating that any correlation is a cause-and-effect relationship is another matter.

I don't think the first part of that is correct. The Second Law of Thermodynamics is often applied to weight gain and loss. While easy to understand it has been proven wrong. Which has not stopped it from being continually publicized. It does apply to weight gain, but is an inaccurate model for weight loss. Calorie intake and exercise do play a small role in weight loss, the full picture is much more complicated. What those calories are, rather than how much they are, plays a larger part. Hormones, insulin in particular, have a very large role.

As CPAP affects many bodily system, it is plausible that it may result in weight changes, up or down, in some people.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe your doctor is uniformed on this subject. There is an older thread on this subject in the link below.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ain--13101

There is some good insight and some clinical studies in the thread

(09-05-2016, 06:33 AM)Lalae Wrote: My doctor says it is impossibl that my weight gain is due to CPAP but when I stop using it I lose weight.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lalae,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I want to encourage you to stick with your CPAP therapy and try other means to lose weight. If your husband says you stop breathing without your machine, that should tell you that you still have sleep apnea.
I wish you good luck on loosing weight and also with your CPAP therapy. By the way, it seems like I read a thread some time ago here on the board regarding Water Retension and CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2016, 12:21 PM)chill Wrote: The Second Law of Thermodynamics is often applied to weight gain and loss. While easy to understand it has been proven wrong.

The second law of thermodynamics applies to *everything*, with *no* exceptions. It has been tested repeatedly for well over a century and an exception has never been found. It follows necessarily from the observed fact that matter is composed of atoms.

Period.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lalae and welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. Hope you stick with it as what Sleepster says about not treating SA causes premature death due to heart attack or stroke is a likely outcome. Think of what stopping breathing does to your body repeatedly night after night etc.
Please stay with xpap therapy and keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 761 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 272 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 941 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 834 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 308 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 282 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 772 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.