Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have no clue and need guidance.
I have no clue and need guidance.
I am brand darn new to Cpap...Autopap, Bipap and are they one in all or very different? Do I understand correctly that cpap can be auto also?

I did a home study, due to the doctor at the sleep study facility not submitting the correct codes or what not. My insurance which is mediocre at best said HOME STUDY. So I did it with no complaints really, back in October. Needless to say I am dealing with this issue of sleep apnea thru my pcp, who has left the practice and I am now seeing a new pcp at the same practice. UGH. He is the issue, after going to Apria for my machine I left without one by my choice. After reading here in the past few weeks while waiting to be fitted, I wanted an auto pap machine. What my doc is scripting for is a cpap with a setting at 16 forced air pressure. Holy crap! I am being blown away and cant even exhale at that pressure. When I tested it was an apap machine as determined by the test where I hooked up wires and that breathing meter, hence the apap was sent to me for 4 nights. I felt like OK, this I can do and tolerate with no issues. I slept great!
Went to pick up my machine and testing it out at 16 is not something I expected to do. I cant even imagine after Novasom the testing at home place told me I had mild apnea, that my forced air number would be 16 as determined by the doc, and not apap but cpap.

I am so P*ssed, it is now going on 5 weeks after my visit to get to this point and I am not, I repeat not accepting that machine at 16 blow me outta bed pressure. I understand there are ways to deal with that in the privacy of my home and internet. And likely will look into you-tube Smile

Really what I am trying to figure out ( other than going to a new doctors office ) is this forced air setting at 16 constant an average number? I kinda feel that is pretty harsh. I know everyone is different, but after hearing from the testing people I have mild apnea I wanna strangle my doc. Delayed but again.......any advice in addition to what I have stated here? thanks!
I do not have my testing results as Novasom sent me a release form via email, I do not have a printer. My docs office didn't have both results when I saw him 5 weeks ago and I had to call Novasom to re send them via fax to the doc. I can't believe this is so complicated to get through. I feel it all started with that goofy doc at the sleep facility when I went there for a consult. I wish I could start all over again from day one and make this smoother! In the meantime, I am tired, getting grumpy and I don't drink coffee! Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I have no clue and need guidance.
I can feel your pain.

If you really need to use an Apap you need to get the prescribing physician to write the prescription for pap specifically for Apap and the range.

What your pressure is and the severity of your sleep apnea are not really connected. I'm somewhat confused about how they determined your pressure. If you can post more maybe someone else can offer you a little more about this.

Bipap are more sophisticated machines generally used for central apnea. You probably don't need one.

Yes it's complicated sometimes but keep posting.
(Just a truck driver with sleep apnea )
Post Reply Post Reply
16 is a lot to get used to, right off the bat. Dealing with the mask, by the way, is a pretty good one for me, and the strangeness of it all is a lot. In the land of cpap, from what I can understand, an auto can be used as a cpap, but a cpap cannot be used as an auto. With an auto, pressure will go up to where it needs to go to stop the apnea, but no more. 16 might not be needed all the time. If your unit is not an auto; can't speak to that brand/model, but you really should lobby to get one. The ability to track what is going on is important, so the software available should be downloaded as well. More info will come your way soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe set with the right ramp time 16 would be ok. I've moved from CPAP at 10.8 to an APAP and for al lot of the night it's putting out 15+.

Don't get hung up on numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
A bilevel machine is not for centrals. It is used when higher pressures are required to give a wider range of expiratory pressure relief.
Most insurers make you fail on straight CPAP before they will give you a bilevel. BTW -- bilevels can be auto; as mine is.

Apria has a poor reputation -- one of profit before patient care. If you want an auto, your doc needs to write for a specific machine with the magic words "dispense as written." not2shygrrl: You were right to walk away without a machine. Dealing with Apria is like dealing with a used car dealer -- you have to be willing to walk away. There are also specific machine codes used for billing purposes. I don't know them; but others on this forum do know them. There is probably a guide somewhere.

Running an auto pap with a range of say 10 to 16 would let you be at 10 for most of the night, then rise to as high as 16 when required to quash obstructive apneas.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2015, 02:13 AM)truckerdad57 Wrote: I can feel your pain.

If you really need to use an Apap you need to get the prescribing physician to write the prescription for pap specifically for Apap and the range.

What your pressure is and the severity of your sleep apnea are not really connected. I'm somewhat confused about how they determined your pressure. If you can post more maybe someone else can offer you a little more about this.

Bipap are more sophisticated machines generally used for central apnea. You probably don't need one.

a BiPAP machine like the one I have is not for central apnea as a matter of fact it will not help with someone that has central apnea are you thinking about the ASV that treats central apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2015, 02:13 AM)truckerdad57 Wrote: I can feel your pain.

a BiPAP machine like the one I have is not for central apnea as a matter of fact it will not help with someone that has central apnea are you thinking about the ASV but treat central apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2015, 01:04 AM)not2shygrrl Wrote: I am brand darn new to Cpap.

Welcome to the board.

You've made it over the biggest hurdle by getting an excellent, data capable CPAP machine.

Like many of us, you may just have to play along with the doctor and manage your therapy yourself. If you do decide to change your pressure, be careful. If nothing else, you can make your therapy ineffective.

As a start, get the free SleepyHead program and check your own results.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks everyone for your replies of support and suggestions! I think I need to calm down tho! Between life being so crazy right now, and having to fight my pcp for almost 6 weeks now and I am still not using a machine. I will change my pcp, I just wish when these docs are not well versed with cpap issues they admittedly should refer me to someone who is. I was hoping by now that using a machine would at least have given me good rest/sleep and all the rest of life happening would be somewhat less stressful. SO I will see this through, lawdy!

I want to thank the peep(s) who have designed this apnea board for people to find on the web! Prior to going for my machine I was in here lurking and reading.....and those of you that have been here a while likely remember how it was in the beginning for yourselves. Its emotional, scary and takes time to adjust to the reality that it is a need, medically. Anyhow, I am thankful to have this place to come to and read, or ask questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to your profile, your machine is Philips Respironics 60 Series Auto DS560. Great. If you want to put it into auto mode that is easy. Just turn the control knob to setup and press the control knob and ramp button until the machine beeps. Then got to setup and scroll to mode and change from CPAP to Auto, then set minimum pressure (probably 8.0) and maximum pressure (20 is fine). Done.

See how it works out and report back. Download Sleepyhead and make sure everything is working. You can always add more minimum pressure to extinguish hypopneas and obstructive apneas. Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 304 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Looking for some pressure guidance lavenderlate 1 137 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 168 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,383 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 6 498 01-17-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [Treatment] UARS With BiPAP - Looking for Some Guidance Sleepy541 2 414 01-07-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepy541
  Programme change guidance to eliminate apneas FijiFarmer 1 245 01-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.