Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have officially joined the club!
I have officially joined the club!
I didn't want to hijack the "Dangers of Using a CPAP Machine" thread with my story. So, I'm posting here.

I picked up my first CPAP (APAP actually) machine today. From what I read here I was really worried that they would give me a sub-par machine. But, it actually went really well (I think. You tell me.)

I ended up with a Philips Remstar Auto AFlex Model DS560S. It collects data and is auto. That's a decent unit, right?

The guy who showed me how to use it was really helpful and detailed. I told him that I read that I should be concerned about being given a sub-par unit. He said that those old units without data aren't given out by any company any more. So, where is that concern coming from? He didn't know.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have questions once I start using this tonight. Thanks again the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I have officially joined the club!
Welcome to the board.
You have a nice machine.
I wish the guy knew what he was talking about. I got a brick not 6 months ago, and they are still handing them out.
Best of luck.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wheaton4prez,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You got a good machine.
I wish that were true that DMEs weren't giving out bricks any more, but unfortunately,a lot of bricks are still given out. It's good the company you are with gave you a data-capable machine.
Best of luck to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2014, 07:30 PM)wheaton4prez Wrote: I told him that I read that I should be concerned about being given a sub-par unit. He said that those old units without data aren't given out by any company any more. So, where is that concern coming from? He didn't know.
all CPAP machines, new and old, have a basic model does not report efficacy data, your machine 560 is full data capable machine
Learn how to use it and how to show data on the screen, download SleepyHead software (link at the top of the page)
so you have access to the detailed data

Here are the instructions pictures and video http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions

The clinical manual available via email, scroll down to section three http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Did you had pressure titration sleep study? the reason asking, your profile shows default settings "CPAP Pressure: Auto (4-20)"
Just not to keep asking you, complete user profile, write your mask make & model and machine name in the right places, also "Humidifier" showing none, did they gave the machine without the humidifier?

The success of the therapy depend on choosing the right mask, did you try other masks before choosing full face mask? I use full face mask as backup when get a cold

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with Zonk on this one, they should have set the pressure range closer to your prescription. Hopefully they did and it is just listed wrong. Good machine and yes they still give out bricks (and get paid the same). At least you did some homework and had an idea what you wanted. Welcome and good luck.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, good job getting a nice machine Wheaton. Now comes the fun part, getting to know it and use it. For openers, why not go ahead and download Sleepyhead from the link at the top of the page so you'll be ready to review your results when you get some. As others have suggested, you may end up wanting to make some changes to your initial settings. That's normal, and with the results you'll be able to ascertain just what pressures and other features are right for you.

Now, hush up and go to sleep..............
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2014, 07:34 PM)Galactus Wrote: I wish the guy knew what he was talking about. I got a brick not 6 months ago, and they are still handing them out.

Thank you. I really grilled him on the brick thing. Asked him if it could be other companies doing it. Other countries? He was skeptical. Weird because he otherwise seemed to really know his stuff about lots of machines, the problems with insurance companies, etc.

He said that having the data has become critical. Especially for certain professions (truck drivers, airline pilots, etc.). They need to show that it's working to keep their licenses and the data does that.

Also, my insurance company requires that I attach a modem unit to the machine for the first 30 days. Apparently, it reports the data back to them to prove that I'm using it (and justifying them paying for it). Kind of big brotherish.

(10-10-2014, 08:21 PM)zonk Wrote: Did you had pressure titration sleep study? the reason asking, your profile shows default settings "CPAP Pressure: Auto (4-20)"
Just not to keep asking you, complete user profile, write your mask make & model and machine name in the right places, also "Humidifier" showing none, did they gave the machine without the humidifier?

The success of the therapy depend on choosing the right mask, did you try other masks before choosing full face mask? I use full face mask as backup when get a cold

Thank you. I will follow those links and read up.

I did not have a titration study. The guy giving me the machine said that the doctor probably didn't know what to prescribe so just gave me the full range. I figure that it shouldn't matter much if the machine automatically goes to where it's supposed to, right?

The profile is filled out now reflecting what I have so far.

They did not give me the humidifier. They said that the doctor has to specifically prescribe that separately or insurance won't cover it. So, I have to go back to the doctor and have them send that px in and they'll ship it to me. After one half night of using the mask, I feel a little painfully dry. So, this has to be done.

I thought that I might have nasal problems and needed the full mask. But, I used it for only half the night and I found that I started breathing through my nose and kept my mouth shut with it on. Without CPAP I only breathe through my mouth at night.

The discomfort of the mask was a big problem. I had to take it off half way through the night. I know I'm going to have to get used to it. But, my face is kind of achy even now around 4 hours after taking it off. So, I'm going to go back and switch for a nasal mask. They had a new one they recommend called a "Swiff" [sp?]. That looked pretty good.

(10-10-2014, 08:46 PM)Doc J Wrote: I'm with Zonk on this one, they should have set the pressure range closer to your prescription. Hopefully they did and it is just listed wrong. Good machine and yes they still give out bricks (and get paid the same). At least you did some homework and had an idea what you wanted. Welcome and good luck.

Thank you. The whole process with the doctor was wonky. They gave me a take-home sleep test device. But, then never got back to me with the results. I called them about it and they eventually kind of skipped the results part and just went ahead and prescribed CPAP without it. I suspect that they lost track of my device and never got the results. Is it really all that bad to not have a smaller range? It seems like it would be good in case I want to adjust outside of the range I am prescribed. I thought it was supposed to automatically go to the right number?

(10-10-2014, 10:00 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Hey, good job getting a nice machine Wheaton. Now comes the fun part, getting to know it and use it. For openers, why not go ahead and download Sleepyhead from the link at the top of the page so you'll be ready to review your results when you get some. As others have suggested, you may end up wanting to make some changes to your initial settings. That's normal, and with the results you'll be able to ascertain just what pressures and other features are right for you.

Now, hush up and go to sleep..............

Thank you. I plan on downloading and setting that up.

First morning after use I definitely feel different. It's sort of a mixed bag though. I had to take it off half way through the night because I couldn't sleep. My face is achy even hours later and my sinuses feel really dry from not having the humidifier.

On the positive side, I do feel relatively rested and something seems different about my breathing. I feel like I can breathe better through my nose. Like I hadn't used it for a long time and now it's working better...?
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back to nose breathing, I too had not been there for a long time. The nasal mask is great if you can keep your mouth shut. I like most would over tighten my full faced mask and have great pain from it. On the whole pressure range thing, if you find the average pressure it is going to is say 11 then you don't really want it trying to go down to 4. So once you find the average you could bring the lower setting up to 2 or 3 below. It will work that way it is but some people find 4 very low like your not getting any air.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to hear you are progressing, the getting started is the hardest part, it is all downhill from there.

Just for the next time you see him and he doesn't believe you just tell him respironics system one 200 60 series unit, a brick. The only data it records is compliance data. Unfortunately for me I did not find any help like this board till I was almost 2 months in and could not get them to exchange the unit. Not only a brick but straight CPAP at 18 pressure was my initial setting. When I called after 6 months and told the Dr (or his nurse I should say) that I wasn't feeling better and had bloating headaches etc., they sent through an order to lower my pressure by 4. They had no efficacy data, they had no real information just my complaint and they were just going to lower it...... I smelled something funny and I had just taken a shower. And no it wasn't retired guy either, he's too far away to smell him. So I started asking if anyone thought this was odd, and that was my turning point. I bought a BiPAP and now I know it is working 13/20 and I can see the data and I can see some nights IPAP is even at 19, so the hell with this "They don't give out bricks", talk to the hand, lol.

Good you found this site before hand, I wish I knew then what I know now.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2014, 07:30 PM)wheaton4prez Wrote: I ended up with a Philips Remstar Auto AFlex Model DS560S. It collects data and is auto. That's a decent unit, right?

The guy who showed me how to use it was really helpful and detailed. I told him that I read that I should be concerned about being given a sub-par unit. He said that those old units without data aren't given out by any company any more. So, where is that concern coming from? He didn't know.

The PRS1 560 is an excellent machine.

Your DME is either really stupid, or is being willfully ignorant, but you did get a good machine. If your doctor hadn't prescribed an auto machine, you would probably have gotten screwed with a brick.

Philips Respironics makes a PRS1 DS160, a PRS1 Plus (DS260), and a PRS1 SE model. They all collect "compliance data," i.e. the time you turn the machine off and on. They only tell whether you're using the machine or not. Most insurance will refuse to pay if you don't meet "compliance" requirements, usually 4 hours a night.

Lots of DME's are still selling these "brick" CPAP machines.

You could still have extremely severe apnea even on CPAP, and the machine would give and your doctor absolutely no clue this is happening. As long as you breathe one a minute or so, the machine makes no indication of problems at all. Neither you nor your doctor will have any clue that your treatment is not working.

It's like treating high blood pressure without bothering to keep checking the blood pressure on an ongoing basis.

Your PRS1 Auto, and the PRS1 Pro, are like having a mini sleep test every night. It records every breath you take all night long. It detects and records apneas. It tells whether you have leaks. It also tells you a whole lot more information.

You can download the free SleepyHead program and look at the data yourself. There are some pictures of what kind of data it gives you here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Discussion.

ResMed's newest machines, the AirSense 10 series, have one model that isn't quite a full brick, but it only records nightly averages, not the minute by minute information that the fully data capable machines record. The better ResMed A10 models are just as data capable as the good PRS1 models.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My CPAP journey officially underway lightwolf1 5 744 03-06-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: lightwolf1
  I’m in the club Emaz 8 1,346 02-16-2022, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New to the club.. starting my thread for all my questions that are sure to come. TIA! freddieku 32 2,364 02-05-2021, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbies Only - Joined since 2017 PollCat 2 818 10-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Just Joined AB Introduction and equipment question daveb 5 1,323 03-27-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Ron AKA
  It's Officially Been One Month (31 days) dracus 20 3,280 12-07-2017, 03:23 AM
Last Post: dracus
  How I joined the ranks Jon1 20 2,794 03-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Phill

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.