Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have the cpap model...not the elite
Sad 
I have the cpap model...not the elite
So after closely examining my machine today I discovered I have the Resmed Airsence Cpap model, not the elite like I had originally thought. I am concerned for a few reasons and have a few questions:

1)Is this a data capable machine? It has a built in modem and an SD card.

2) Is this a good machine? Will I get good therapy from this machine?

3) *off topic* Will thisaching help me get longer better quality sleep? I'm sleeping less than 4 hours a night.

This whole situation has me super stressed. My mind is already not function properly and I desperately need this machine to work for me! I feel really stupid because this was my 1st experience with a DME and I feel kind of like I was just made to take this machine. I wasn't aware I had choices of machines, it was basically just given to me as my only option. I can't return it and my insurance will not pay for another machine. I feel so hopeless right now...somebody please help me. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I have the cpap model...not the elite
The CPAP model is the bottom of the range, but it's still a Resmed, who are world leaders in sleep technology. So yes, this machine will give you good therapy. It is a constant pressure machine, which means it will stay at the pre-set pressure all night. This is fine, and is the same as the Elite in this regard. Though an Autoset would be better for a whole lot of reasons.

In terms of data, the CPAP does have limited data capability and can upload data to the MyAir system as well as storing it on the CD card. However I don't know how much or what type of data is stored, and the Resmed site is especially vague in this regard.

So for the moment, stop stressing. You've got a machine from a reputable manufacturer which will do the job. However, my advice would be to try and get an Autoset or (failing that) an Elite both of which will give you full data. Maybe enlist the help of your doctor to revise your prescription. The insurance company pays out the same amount regardless of which type you have, so they won't care. The only people who should object are the DME as they get a bigger margin from selling lower grade equipment. (Which seems perverse to me).
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 08:56 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: The CPAP model is the bottom of the range, but it's still a Resmed, who are world leaders in sleep technology. So yes, this machine will give you good therapy. It is a constant pressure machine, which means it will stay at the pre-set pressure all night. This is fine, and is the same as the Elite in this regard. Though an Autoset would be better for a whole lot of reasons.

In terms of data, the CPAP does have limited data capability and can upload data to the MyAir system as well as storing it on the CD card. However I don't know how much or what type of data is stored, and the Resmed site is especially vague in this regard.

So for the moment, stop stressing. You've got a machine from a reputable manufacturer which will do the job. However, my advice would be to try and get an Autoset or (failing that) an Elite both of which will give you full data. Maybe enlist the help of your doctor to revise your prescription. The insurance company pays out the same amount regardless of which type you have, so they won't care. The only people who should object are the DME as they get a bigger margin from selling lower grade equipment. (Which seems perverse to me).

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I am very sleep derived right now..so to say I'm stressed is an understatement!

As I stated I am new to this whole sleep apnea thing, would you mind explaining to me the benefits of an auto set machine? Any information you can share is very appreciated!

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have had your machine 30 days or more good luck in getting it changed period. Your doctor prescribed a cpap so stick with it.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 09:27 PM)Mike1953 Wrote: If you have had your machine 30 days or more good luck in getting it changed period. Your doctor prescribed a cpap so stick with it.

I've only had it about 10 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mzdawn74,
You asked what the difference between straight CPAP machine like you have and an AutoSet machine is.
The CPAP machine you have is set at a fixed pressure, for example, 8 . An autoSet machine can be fixed to be a straight CPAP machine but you can also set a range of pressures, for example, 7-14.
I hope that helps a little bit, hang in there and someone will explain more.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 10:02 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi mzdawn74,
You asked what the difference between straight CPAP machine like you have and an AutoSet machine is.
The CPAP machine you have is set at a fixed pressure, for example, 8 . An autoSet machine can be fixed to be a straight CPAP machine but you can also set a range of pressures, for example, 7-14.
I hope that helps a little bit, hang in there and someone will explain more.

Thank you for responding. Yes, it did help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you are prescribed a pressure of 8 cm-H2O, which is at the lower end of therapy pressures, the machine should do a fine job for you.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: would you mind explaining to me the benefits of an auto set machine?

With an Autoset, you don't just have a single pressure all night. You can set an upper and lower limit, and the machine will adjust itself between those limits depending on requirements. For example, you may need a slightly higher pressure when sleeping on your back compared to sleeping on your side. Also as you get older and gain or lose weight, your pressure needs may change, and the Autoset can accommodate that.

Because your prescription is for 8 cm H2O (which is quite low), a constant pressure machine like the CPAP or Elite will be quite adequate. If you needed a much higher pressure then definitely an Autoset would be the way to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 11:06 PM)justMongo Wrote: Since you are prescribed a pressure of 8 cm-H2O, which is at the lower end of therapy pressures, the machine should do a fine job for you.

Thank you. You have eased my mind a little. I'm still worried though about not being able to track my therapy to ensure it is working efficiently. Any ideas?Huh
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 102 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  what model is this? airwaystent 8 385 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 272 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,098 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question How do I enable autoset on a ReMed Airsense 10 elite krschultz 3 583 09-25-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.