Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have the cpap model...not the elite
RE: I have the cpap model...not the elite
(07-10-2015, 11:13 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Quote: would you mind explaining to me the benefits of an auto set machine?

With an Autoset, you don't just have a single pressure all night. You can set an upper and lower limit, and the machine will adjust itself between those limits depending on requirements. For example, you may need a slightly higher pressure when sleeping on your back compared to sleeping on your side. Also as you get older and gain or lose weight, your pressure needs may change, and the Autoset can accommodate that.

Because your prescription is for 8 cm H2O (which is quite low), a constant pressure machine like the CPAP or Elite will be quite adequate. If you needed a much higher pressure then definitely an Autoset would be the way to go.

Thank you for explaining the difference between the machine types. I agree that it might be something I need in the future as well.

Since my machine doesn't have the full data capacity to use sleepy head, do you have any ideas or suggestions on how I can ensure I'm getting the most effective therapy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mzdawn74
My understanding AirSesne 10 CPAP is a brick, my advice get your friendly doctor involved to have the brick replaced asap
You wouldn't able get a new machine for at least 5 years
5 years such a long time without knowing how the therapy is working and a lots would have change too
All models have "AirSesne" in the name but only the "AutoSet" make "Sense"

As you've used it for 10 days, can please enlighten me, what sort of efficacy data (if any) displayed on the LCD sleep report

Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine provides compliance, AHI and leak data. You can read that off the screen each morning. In addition, the built-in cell phone will upload this data to Resmed's cloud and you can use the MyAir service, which will give you a percentage score. This is basic data, but will at least give you a guide to how the therapy is going (along with the most important data which is "How do you feel?")
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 12:34 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Your machine provides compliance, AHI and leak data. You can read that off the screen each morning. In addition, the built-in cell phone will upload this data to Resmed's cloud and you can use the MyAir service, which will give you a percentage score. This is basic data, but will at least give you a guide to how the therapy is going (along with the most important data which is "How do you feel?")

Where did hear about leak data? AHI ... but no breakdown of events
No central apnea or cheyne-stokes respiration detection and no RERAs reporting

I'm waiting to hear from mzdawn7 ... what sort of efficacy data (if any) displayed on the LCD sleep report

As for "how you feel", I felt better when starting CPAP, well .. anything is better after being sick and sleep deprived for so long

Also, okay when you feel rested and refreshed but tough luck if you don't, no detailed data to figure whats going on and why not feeling so great

Sorry, of being rowdy but I feel strongly ... everyone should own an "AutoSet"
You can set it, either CPAP or AutoSet mode
Better to have something you don't need, than something you need, but you don't have ... something like that

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 12:33 AM)zonk Wrote: Hi mzdawn74
My understanding AirSesne 10 CPAP is a brick, my advice get your friendly doctor involved to have the brick replaced asap
You wouldn't able get a new machine for at least 5 years
5 years such a long time without knowing how the therapy is working and a lots would have change too
All models have "AirSesne" in the name but only the "AutoSet" make "Sense"

As you've used it for 10 days, can please enlighten me, what sort of efficacy data (if any) displayed on the LCD sleep report

Thank you for responding.

I can see compliance, mask seal, leak rate, and AHI.

I will speak with my doctor about exchanging for an APAP.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 12:34 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Your machine provides compliance, AHI and leak data. You can read that off the screen each morning. In addition, the built-in cell phone will upload this data to Resmed's cloud and you can use the MyAir service, which will give you a percentage score. This is basic data, but will at least give you a guide to how the therapy is going (along with the most important data which is "How do you feel?")

That is very basic limited data. Considering all of the symptoms I'm having concerning memory, concentration, and overall cognitive functioning I need a machine that I can track my therapy. I feel like a zombie all day, I'm only sleeping 4 hours a night if that, and I feel no difference. Is it too early to see any changes?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 01:17 AM)mzdawn74 Wrote: I can see compliance, mask seal, leak rate, and AHI.
Thank you very much
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 01:06 AM)zonk Wrote:

Where did hear about leak data? AHI ... but no breakdown of events
No central apnea or cheyne-stokes respiration detection and no RERAs reporting

I'm waiting to hear from mzdawn7 ... what sort of efficacy data (if any) displayed on the LCD sleep report

As for "how you feel", I felt better when starting CPAP, well .. anything is better after being sick and sleep deprived for so long

Also, okay when you feel rested and refreshed but tough luck if you don't, no detailed data to figure whats going on and why not feeling so great

Sorry, of being rowdy but I feel strongly ... everyone should own an "AutoSet"
You can set it, either CPAP or AutoSet mode
Better to have something you don't need, than something you need, but you don't have ... something like that

I totally agree with you and am really concerned about how effective my therapy actually is. Like I said in an earlier response I am suffering severely with poor concentration, memory , and over all cognitive impairments, and it is imperative that I have a machine that I can track my therapy with.

I feel like the DME took advantage of my lack of knowledge and stuck me with this "brick"! I am calling my doctor first thing Monday as well as the DME and see how I can get a better machine! My life depends on it!

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 09:29 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 09:27 PM)Mike1953 Wrote: If you have had your machine 30 days or more good luck in getting it changed period. Your doctor prescribed a cpap so stick with it.

I've only had it about 10 days.

Hi mzdawn74,

You sound like you're having a really hard time getting enough rest and you may need all the help you can get.

I'm with Zonk on this one.

1. Call your doctor and request him to prescribe a pressure range, such as 7 to 10. If your action and persistence with your doctor do not pay off with a new prescription within a week, then:

2. Pack up everything and return it to the Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider and let them know you are *not* satisfied with the machine and will be looking for a DME provider who will provide an AutoSet (set for fixed pressure of 8). Better yet, call your insurance network first for a list of other DME providers, and call them one by one until you find one which will provide the AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her or Philips Respironics System One DS560TS Auto (if outside USA model numbers may vary) set for fixed pressure of 8. Since you haven't had your machine very long there is some hope that he will exchange it for a fully data-capable machine such as as Elite, or maybe even an APAP.

Yes, your present very basic machine which has very limited data *might* do the trick, but you will likely be stuck with it for 5 years and, in my view, you will have a better chance of optimizing your treatment if you insist on receiving an APAP. You can run the machine in a very narrow range and if the machine spends most of its time max'ed out around 8.5 this would tell your doctor and you that (in the opinion of the experts who have designed the machine's treatment algorithms) your pressure seems too low. (It is not at all unusual for a pressure prescribed based on a single night or a half night of tortured sleep in a sleep lab to be significantly too low or too high.)

Also, the A10 AutoSet For Her model can be set to plain CPAP mode (but fully data-capable, like the Elite) or can be set to APAP therapy mode with two APAP modes to choose from, the standard AutoSet mode or the new gentler "AutoSet For Her" therapy mode. Plus, the A10 AutoSet For Her (and the PRS1 Auto) report extensive detailed data which can be very helpful in figuring out what may be going wrong, if your AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index is the average per hour of the sum of Apneas plus Hypopneas) is low but you are still not experiencing refreshing sleep.

Sometimes you just gotta be assertive. Good luck!

P.S. Please do not feel disheartened or overwhelmed if your efforts to get your machine upgraded prove ultimately to be unsuccessful. Unfortunately, perhaps most CPAP patients are in the same boat, being prescribed fixed-pressure CPAP and provided a basic and not fully data-capable machine. We are here to encourage and help you get the most from whatever machine you have. Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine might not fix all the problems but with the right machine we can find out whether the problems are CPAP related or not and then, move on to the next list of suspects. We can only try our best and no harm in trying

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 100 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  what model is this? airwaystent 8 385 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 272 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,098 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question How do I enable autoset on a ReMed Airsense 10 elite krschultz 3 582 09-25-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.