Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have the cpap model...not the elite
RE: I have the cpap model...not the elite
(07-11-2015, 01:54 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 09:29 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 09:27 PM)Mike1953 Wrote: If you have had your machine 30 days or more good luck in getting it changed period. Your doctor prescribed a cpap so stick with it.

I've only had it about 10 days.

Hi mzdawn74,

You sound like you you're having a really hard time getting enough rest and you may need all the help you can get.

I'm with Zonk on this one.

1. Call your doctor and request him to prescribe a pressure range, such as 7 to 10. If your action and persistence with your doctor do not pay off with a new prescription within a week, then:

2. Pack up everything and return it to the Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider and let them know you are *not* satisfied with the machine and will be looking for a DME provider who will provide an AutoSet (set for fixed pressure of 8). Better yet, call your insurance network first for a list of other DME providers, and call them one by one until you find one which will provide the AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her or Philips Respironics System One DS560TS Auto (if outside USA model numbers may vary) set for fixed pressure of 8. Since you haven't had your machine very long there is some hope that he will exchange it for a fully data-capable machine such as as Elite, or maybe even an APAP.

Yes, your present very basic machine offering very limited data *might* do the trick, but you will likely be stuck with it for 5 years and, in my view, you will have a better chance of optimizing your treatment if you insist on receiving an APAP. You can run the machine in a very narrow range and if the machine spends most of its time max'ed out around 8.5 this would tell your doctor and you that (in the opinion of the experts who have designed the machine's treatment algorithms) your pressure seems too low. (It is not at all unusual for a pressure prescribed based on a single night or a half night of tortured sleep in a sleep lab to be significantly too low or too high.)

Also, the A10 AutoSet For Her model can be set to plain CPAP mode (but fully data-capable, like the Elite) or can be set to APAP therapy mode with two APAP modes to choose from, the standard AutoSet mode or the new gentler "AutoSet For Her" therapy mode. Plus, the A10 AutoSet For Her (and the PRS1 Auto) report extensive detailed data which can be very helpful in figuring out what may be going wrong, if your AHI (your average per hour of the sum of Apneas plus Hypopneas) is low but you are still not experiencing refreshing sleep.

Sometimes you just gotta be assertive. Good luck!

Awesome response! Thanks

I am calling my doctor first thing Monday!!

(07-11-2015, 01:59 AM)zonk Wrote: The machine might not fix all the problems but with the right machine we can find out whether the problems are CPAP related or not and then, move on to the next list of suspects. We can only try our best and no harm in trying

Coffee

Thank you Zonk for your advice and support. It really means a lot to me. I will keep you posted on what happens next week. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 11:46 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 11:06 PM)justMongo Wrote: Since you are prescribed a pressure of 8 cm-H2O, which is at the lower end of therapy pressures, the machine should do a fine job for you.

Thank you. You have eased my mind a little. I'm still worried though about not being able to track my therapy to ensure it is working efficiently. Any ideas?Huh

If you don't have a copy of your prescription from your doctor that states what machine he/she ordered, call their office on Monday and ask. Then, ask for a prescription for an auto machine and make sure they write on there dispense as written.

Even though your pressure is low, things change over time and like you have said, you are not sleeping much, which could be because you are not getting enough pressure at certain times while you are asleep and this could wake you up. If you had an auto, you could watch your data and see if this does happen.

If it were me, I would be asking for a new prescription and exchange your machine for an auto set. It won't cost you anymore (or your insurance company either) but the DME might not be happy because it just decreased their profit somewhat. They don't always do things in the best interest of their client.

I would suggest watching to see if you are having a high amount of leaks. I don't know how much data your machine provides via modem/sd card. If it only records compliance data, then you really want to change machines and do it sooner than later.

Post Reply Post Reply
mzdawn74,
This nonsense is typical of what DME's do to their customers. Annoyed-and-disappointed This same thing happened to me too.

You have a right to get the machine you want. Ask your doctor to write a script for an Auto CPAP, and it should state patient choice. Also ask him to prescribe a pressure range so there is no mistake with the DME. Tell your DME that you want a "new" machine", with no previous machine hours on it. They typically try to pawn off a used machine that someone else returned.

Do this ASAP, and tell the doctor you will be in to pick up the script. Don't take no for an answer.

As others have said, you will be stuck with this machine for 5 years, and you have no idea what your future needs will be.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 06:09 AM)OpalRose Wrote: mzdawn74,
This nonsense is typical of what DME's do to their customers. Annoyed-and-disappointed This same thing happened to me too.

You have a right to get the machine you want. Ask your doctor to write a script for an Auto CPAP, and it should state patient choice. Also ask him to prescribe a pressure range so there is no mistake with the DME. Tell your DME that you want a "new" machine", with no previous machine hours on it. They typically try to pawn off a used machine that someone else returned.

Do this ASAP, and tell the doctor you will be in to pick up the script. Don't take no for an answer.

As others have said, you will be stuck with this machine for 5 years, and you have no idea what your future needs will be.
Yaaa...what Opalrose said.
It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Mzdawn, I was the one that originally replied to your first thread and mistakenly said the Elite does not have good efficacy data. I think the data that tells you the effectiveness of your therapy is an important reinforcement for staying with the treatment. It also can tell you if things are not as good as it should be. You were issued this machine because it was the least expensive option for the DME. Your doctor simply prescribed CPAP and did not choose the machine. I think a sincere talk with your doctor, explaining how it is important for you to monitor and be a part of your therapy may convince him a higher-end machine is a good idea. The best way to get there is to have a pressure range prescribed.

If you are still tired and not feeling the benefits of CPAP, this is an important part of your conversation. No one can tell whether your treatment might be improved, because your machine does not provide the information. Have you recorded your nightly AHI? Do you know what the most recent and 7-day average AHI is?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 04:49 AM)me50 Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 11:46 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 11:06 PM)justMongo Wrote: Since you are prescribed a pressure of 8 cm-H2O, which is at the lower end of therapy pressures, the machine should do a fine job for you.

Thank you. You have eased my mind a little. I'm still worried though about not being able to track my therapy to ensure it is working efficiently. Any ideas?Huh

If you don't have a copy of your prescription from your doctor that states what machine he/she ordered, call their office on Monday and ask. Then, ask for a prescription for an auto machine and make sure they write on there dispense as written.

Even though your pressure is low, things change over time and like you have said, you are not sleeping much, which could be because you are not getting enough pressure at certain times while you are asleep and this could wake you up. If you had an auto, you could watch your data and see if this does happen.

If it were me, I would be asking for a new prescription and exchange your machine for an auto set. It won't cost you anymore (or your insurance company either) but the DME might not be happy because it just decreased their profit somewhat. They don't always do things in the best interest of their client.

I would suggest watching to see if you are having a high amount of leaks. I don't know how much data your machine provides via modem/sd card. If it only records compliance data, then you really want to change machines and do it sooner than later.

I do have a copy of my perscription. I am planning on calling my doctor Monday to discuss switching to an APAP. I actually was already not sleeping well prior to starting CPAP. On an average night I'm lucky to get 4 hours of sleep. And that 4 hours is not even a solid restful 4 hours. It comes along with many frequent wakings. Myaching does show a leak rate. Last night it was 20ml/MN and an AHI of 0.7.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 06:09 AM)OpalRose Wrote: mzdawn74,

Thank you for the advice. I know my doctor is going to try and debate with me just as the DME rep did. What do I say as to why I want to change machines other than it offers me the ability to track my therapy better? I need help explaining myself. I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but like I said earlier I am really not very knowledgeable in this area. I've tried reading and learning what I can, but with my brain not functioning properly its very difficult to say the least. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 01:14 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Mzdawn, I was the one that originally replied to your first thread and mistakenly said the Elite does not have good efficacy data. I think the data that tells you the effectiveness of your therapy is an important reinforcement for staying with the treatment. It also can tell you if things are not as good as it should be. You were issued this machine because it was the least expensive option for the DME. Your doctor simply prescribed CPAP and did not choose the machine. I think a sincere talk with your doctor, explaining how it is important for you to monitor and be a part of your therapy may convince him a higher-end machine is a good idea. The best way to get there is to have a pressure range prescribed.

If you are still tired and not feeling the benefits of CPAP, this is an important part of your conversation. No one can tell whether your treatment might be improved, because your machine does not provide the information. Have you recorded your nightly AHI? Do you know what the most recent and 7-day average AHI is?

Hello,

I've only had the machine 11 days and only used it 6 nights.
My AHI scores are as follows:
6/29- 0.1
6/30- 0.1
7/1- 0.1
7/2- 0.0
7/3- 0.2
7/10- 0.6

My leak rate has been from 6ml/mn- 20ml/mn.

I do not feel rested at all. I am only sleeping around 4 hours a night with frequent wakings. I feel like my cognitive impairments are getting worse! I don't know what to do!!
Post Reply Post Reply
OP's AHI numbers look great, and assuming at 8cm that her 02 sats/desats pass muster, it might be reasonable to conclude that she simply needs to get up to a full night's rest on CPAP, and continue there. While the solution may be simple, getting there is difficult. Suggest using a prescription sleep aid as necessary.

OP does NOT NEED APAP- it's merely a distraction from OP's core problem.

Stick with it, OP, and use it nightly for > 4 hours. In my case, Medicare Compliance was a good motivator to help get over the hump. But I'd advise that you get in the habit of using it nightly even if you do not satisfy compliance requirement, otherwise you may become a 'drop-out' at best and a statistic at worst. Non-use of CPAP will likely result in feeling lousy the rest of your life, when you may be able to feel very good or great.

DON'T GIVE UP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 02:47 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote:
(07-11-2015, 01:14 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Mzdawn, I was the one that originally replied to your first thread and mistakenly said the Elite does not have good efficacy data. I think the data that tells you the effectiveness of your therapy is an important reinforcement for staying with the treatment. It also can tell you if things are not as good as it should be. You were issued this machine because it was the least expensive option for the DME. Your doctor simply prescribed CPAP and did not choose the machine. I think a sincere talk with your doctor, explaining how it is important for you to monitor and be a part of your therapy may convince him a higher-end machine is a good idea. The best way to get there is to have a pressure range prescribed.

Hello,

I've only had the machine 11 days and only used it 6 nights.
My AHI scores are as follows:
6/29- 0.1
6/30- 0.1
7/1- 0.1
7/2- 0.0
7/3- 0.2
7/10- 0.6

My leak rate has been from 6ml/mn- 20ml/mn.

I do not feel rested at all. I am only sleeping around 4 hours a night with frequent wakings. I feel like my cognitive impairments are getting worse! I don't know what to do!!

Hi Dawn,

That is why exchanging your current machine for a fully data capable machine is so important so you can see exactly what is going on with your data. Yes, you may have a great AHI but perhaps if you were able to post a screen shot of your data which you can't do now, experienced members on this board could help you evaluate whether anything else may be impacting your sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 153 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 129 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  what model is this? airwaystent 8 428 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 261 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 290 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,190 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question How do I enable autoset on a ReMed Airsense 10 elite krschultz 3 628 09-25-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.