Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have the cpap model...not the elite
RE: I have the cpap model...not the elite
(07-13-2015, 02:20 PM)49er Wrote: Dawn,

As an FYI, the RDI is a calculation of the RERAS and Hypopneas/Apneas that occurred per hour during the hours you were observed sleeping. Since your AHI is 10.5 and your RDI is 11.4, the gap isn't significant as far as I can see.

Now in my case, the RDI was definitely significant as I had an AHI of 5.9 but an RDI of 23 because of the RERAS. By the way, I am not sure how much of a minimum gap there would have be statistically between the AHI and RDI for it be significant. I have seen some links regarding scores that say that the RDI which covers all the sleep breathing events is considered to be the true apnea index and would be treated the same way AHI scores are characterized as far as severity characterization. All I can say is my sleep breathing issues don't feel mild to me.

Anyway, agree with the goal of focusing on getting more sleep on the machine. I forgot, is your problem, falling asleep or staying asleep or both? If you wake up, can you get back to sleep eventually?

The easiest way to explain it is let me tell you about my typical night:

I am sleepy through out day, but do not nap (should I start?)

I can't seem to fall asleep until really late at night. Usually around 3am.

I wake up around 6am, use the bathroom, and go back to sleep for an hour or so. ( This is when I usually take the mask off)

I wake up again around 7:30/8am and spend the test of the morning trying to go back to sleep, but not really able to sleep.

I get up around noon, and try to be active taking care of errands and chores around the house.

Is it possible that if I adjust my bedtime to earlier, it could help improve my sleep time and quality of sleep?

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:The easiest way to explain it is let me tell you about my typical night:

I wake up around 6am, use the bathroom, and go back to sleep for an hour or so. ( This is when I usually take the mask off)

I wake up again around 7:30/8am and spend the test of the morning trying to go back to sleep, but not really able to sleep.

I get up around noon, and try to be active taking care of errands and chores around the house.

Is it possible that if I adjust my bedtime to earlier, it could help improve my sleep time and quality of sleep?

Ok, do you try to go to sleep earlier than 3am or are you simply not sleepy until 3am?

49er[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 02:57 PM)49er Wrote:

Ok, do you try to go to sleep earlier than 3am or are you simply not sleepy until 3am?

49er
[/quote]

Honestly I haven't really tried. I am usually on this forum or watching TV until around that time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 02:59 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 02:57 PM)49er Wrote:

49er

Honestly I haven't really tried. I am usually on this forum or watching TV until around that time.
[/quote]

The reason I was asking is there are many people with DPS sleep patterns who can't go to bed earlier than 3am even if a gun was held to their head. Smile But since you haven't said thatSmile, it might be worth a shot to see if you can go to bed earlier in the hope that your sleep would improve.

Decide on a time to shoot for and then maybe an hour before that time, shut off all electronics and do something relaxing like read a book or listen to music. See what happens as this may provide some clue to your issues.

Post Reply Post Reply
RDI supersedes AHI for purposes of diagnosing severity of condition. RDI many times will be the same as AHI.

In cases as with 49er, the gap between the two is certainly relevant, in mzdawn's considerably less so.

If it were me, I'd focus on my sleep hygiene- force myself up, stay up and not take any naps, take tranquilizers and/or sleep meds to go to bed far earlier, stop watching TV after 10 or 11 pm (I know it's difficult).
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 02:59 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote: Honestly I haven't really tried. I am usually on this forum or watching TV until around that time.

mz-you might want to take a look at RobySue's blog ( http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogspot.com/ ), particularly the sections on "Taming the CPAP-Induced Insomnia Monster" ( http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogs...er_19.html ) and "My CBT For Insomnia" ( http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogs...omnia.html ).

RobySue has some insights and advice that may be beneficial to you in getting better sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 03:12 PM)macbob Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 02:59 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote: Honestly I haven't really tried. I am usually on this forum or watching TV until around that time.

mz-you might want to take a look at RobySue's blog ( http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogspot.com/ ), particularly the sections on "Taming the CPAP-Induced Insomnia Monster" ( http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogs...er_19.html ) and "My CBT For Insomnia" ( http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogs...omnia.html ).

RobySue has some insights and advice that may be beneficial to you in getting better sleep.

Thanks, macbob! I need to read the mentioned robysue links. She knows a lot!

Post Reply Post Reply
If you're going back to sleep, put the mask back on. Also use it if you decide to nap. Sleep Apnea is with you everytime you relax and sleep. You might as well make the most of it by using the therapy to optimize the sleep you get.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
daytime naps (after noon) are not suggested as a way to catch up on sleep, and are not very good at resetting the circadian {sp?} sleep clock. best approach for naturally adjusting the waking time is naturally adjusting the going to bed time.

read somewhere the circ clock is 25 hrs and we get 24. it is pretty natural to stay up 1 extra hour later each night, but not as easy to move to earlier bedtime. so the suggested approach is to only adjust earlier bedtime by at most 1 hour per night. if your goal is to move that back to midnight, you'll need a minimum of 3 nights. But, take a few extra, and you should be able to get there in 6 nights at 30 minutes earlier per night. [note - your system already tries to get you to go to bed later by an hour, so try not to let it sneak you back to 'normal']

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 03:11 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: OP's AHI numbers look great, and assuming at 8cm that her 02 sats/desats pass muster, it might be reasonable to conclude that she simply needs to get up to a full night's rest on CPAP, and continue there. While the solution may be simple, getting there is difficult. Suggest using a prescription sleep aid as necessary.

OP does NOT NEED APAP- it's merely a distraction from OP's core problem.

Stick with it, OP, and use it nightly for > 4 hours. In my case, Medicare Compliance was a good motivator to help get over the hump. But I'd advise that you get in the habit of using it nightly even if you do not satisfy compliance requirement, otherwise you may become a 'drop-out' at best and a statistic at worst. Non-use of CPAP will likely result in feeling lousy the rest of your life, when you may be able to feel very good or great.

DON'T GIVE UP.

I would not suggest a sleep aid over exchanging the machine for an autoset. sleep aids would be a last resort in my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 99 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  what model is this? airwaystent 8 382 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 227 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 269 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,096 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question How do I enable autoset on a ReMed Airsense 10 elite krschultz 3 578 09-25-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.