Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have the cpap model...not the elite
RE: I have the cpap model...not the elite
(07-11-2015, 04:10 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: You will find no argument from me that having more data available is beneficial (more to those here than the usual CPAP patient-look at our small numbers), but focus of the thread seems to distract from her issue.

If she can get a different machine without consequential loss, APAP with full data, then do so. But I was under the impression her machine was data-capable, maybe not so much as others, though. The fact her AHI numbers were stellar led me to believe that the issue is her adaptability to the whole process, not that APAP is the solution to her woes.

It appears that OP is overwhelmed and close to dropping out. In this precarious situation, it might be better not to complicate things with all this learning curve jargon and change of machine if she does not address the problem now, not with another machine, but dealing with her present one.

The best advice I can give OP presently is to see her doctor about placing her on prescription 'Z' drug, e.g, Ambien, to help her get over the hump. Not using her machine for nearly a week is not at all conducive to her success.

I will suggest this again. putting someone on prescription drugs should be a last resort. try getting an autoset data capable machine before it is too late. again, I would never suggest drugs as a solution to a problem unless all else as been tried. JMHO
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 12:03 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 10:47 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 09:30 AM)DariaVader Wrote: One issue that has not been raised is that the AHI is low at least in part because she is not asleep. To get a true picture of the efficacy of the therapy, you first of all need to actually sleep. It would be very helpful to consider what is keeping you from sleep and address those issues.

Dawn - If you are using the machine 4 hrs a night and are asleep during those four hours, the AHI the machine calculates would be considered valid. The reported AHI would not include any RERA events which might have occurred but the AHI reported would be considered a valid AHI calculation for the average number of apneas plus hypopneas occurring while you are asleep.

Only the data recorded during time you are asleep and at full therapy pressure can be validly used in calculating the AHI. The machine does not know whether you are asleep or awake but assumes you are asleep. If you are awake half the time or all the time you are receiving therapy then the AHI calculated by the machine would be half or totally invalid.

The machine does not count the time or the events during the Ramp time (if the Ramp is used) but assumes you we asleep and uses the events (or lack of events) for all other therapy time in calculating the AHI.

I am asleep for at least 90% of the time I wear the machine.

On a separate subject my doctor is out of town until the 27th, so I am stuck with this machine until then.

I tried dealing with the DME, but they said my prescription stated cpap, and that's what they gave me. They referred me back to my doctor.

I would suggest speaking with the office manager and/or nurse (if a doctor's office still has them) or a nurse practioner or maybe they have a physician's assistant that can help you while the doc is away
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I would suggest speaking with the office manager and/or nurse (if a doctor's office still has them) or a nurse practioner or maybe they have a physician's assistant that can help you while the doc is away

Great suggestion.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 03:08 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: RDI supersedes AHI for purposes of diagnosing severity of condition. RDI many times will be the same as AHI.

In cases as with 49er, the gap between the two is certainly relevant, in mzdawn's considerably less so.

If it were me, I'd focus on my sleep hygiene- force myself up, stay up and not take any naps, take tranquilizers and/or sleep meds to go to bed far earlier, stop watching TV after 10 or 11 pm (I know it's difficult).

I can't understand pushing the idea of tranquilizers and/or sleep meds! Doesn't make sense to me and IMHO, a big mistake, and should only be considered if all else fails!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 06:25 AM)49er Wrote:
Quote:I would suggest speaking with the office manager and/or nurse (if a doctor's office still has them) or a nurse practioner or maybe they have a physician's assistant that can help you while the doc is away

Great suggestion.
Only people in office are his medical assistants, and him. So no luck there. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 06:27 AM)me50 Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 03:08 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: RDI supersedes AHI for purposes of diagnosing severity of condition. RDI many times will be the same as AHI.

In cases as with 49er, the gap between the two is certainly relevant, in mzdawn's considerably less so.

If it were me, I'd focus on my sleep hygiene- force myself up, stay up and not take any naps, take tranquilizers and/or sleep meds to go to bed far earlier, stop watching TV after 10 or 11 pm (I know it's difficult).

I can't understand pushing the idea of tranquilizers and/or sleep meds! Doesn't make sense to me and IMHO, a big mistake, and should only be considered if all else fails!

Me,

As the other board knows and as this one will soon find out, I am not a big fan of meds. But I have come to realize that there are exceptions to every rule and that they may be warranted as may be the case with Dawn which she will get an answer on when she meets with her psychiatrist in a few weeks. She may need them to get over the hump and is not in a position to try other things. Again, this is a decision for her to make in consult with her doctor.

And by the way, this doesn't have to be an either or situation. Perhaps her psychiatrist can give her something to get over the hump for a few weeks and then she can taper off of it. Or she might decide to take it longer which is her choice.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply

I agree and don't want to rely on drugs to get the sleep I need so desperately. But, at this point I don't know what else to do to improve my sleep time and quality. I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point because without proper sleep I will never be able to begin to recover from this. It's been going on 4 years now..I'm tired of fighting..tired of relying on doctors who aren't really in it for my best interest..tired of not sleeping...tired of feeling like I'm losing my mind as the days go by. (Sorry, didn't mean to rant)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 06:36 AM)49er Wrote:

Me,

As the other board knows and as this one will soon find out, I am not a big fan of meds. But I have come to realize that there are exceptions to every rule and that they may be warranted as may be the case with Dawn which she will get an answer on when she meets with her psychiatrist in a few weeks. She may need them to get over the hump and is not in a position to try other things. Again, this is a decision for her to make in consult with her doctor.

And by the way, this doesn't have to be an either or situation. Perhaps her psychiatrist can give her something to get over the hump for a few weeks and then she can taper off of it. Or she might decide to take it longer which is her choice.

49er

I don't know if you remember, but I shared with you my experience with meds on the other forum. I am not a fan of medication either, but at this point I'm getting desperate. I need to sleep and the things I've been doing are not working. Who knows I may or may not decide to follow through with taking medication again. My hope is that he will give me some type of benzo and something for sleep. I am not starting any antidepressant again, I refuse. Been there done that..nope not happening.

Thank you for your support 49er!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 06:45 AM)mzdawn74 Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 06:36 AM)49er Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 06:27 AM)me50 Wrote: I can't understand pushing the idea of tranquilizers and/or sleep meds! Doesn't make sense to me and IMHO, a big mistake, and should only be considered if all else fails!

Me,

49er

I don't know if you remember, but I shared with you my experience with meds on the other forum. I am not a fan of medication either, but at this point I'm getting desperate. I need to sleep and the things I've been doing are not working. Who knows I may or may not decide to follow through with taking medication again. My hope is that he will give me some type of benzo and something for sleep. I am not starting any antidepressant again, I refuse. Been there done that..nope not happening.

Thanks, now I remember. Smile

You might want to ask about Temazepam since that can be taken on a PRN basis. I have taken it on the odd occasion in getting back to sleep and it worked alot better than ambien. Haven't tried taking it before bed but may give it a shot tonight since I am going to be up late tomorrow way past my bedtime. Smile and really do need to sleep.

By the way, as an FYI, I have mysterious narcoleptic/hypersomnia type issues in addition to insomnia interfering with sleep that I am going to be seeing a sleep doctor about. But until that happens, I feel the need to do something on the odd occasion. Just didn't want you to be discouraged by my situation since I have some unusual circumstances i am dealing with.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 06:57 AM)49er Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 06:45 AM)mzdawn74 Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 06:36 AM)49er Wrote: Me,

49er

Thanks, now I remember. Smile

You might want to ask about Temazepam since that can be taken on a PRN basis. I have taken it on the odd occasion in getting back to sleep and it worked alot better than ambien. Haven't tried taking it before bed but may give it a shot tonight since I am going to be up late tomorrow way past my bedtime. Smile and really do need to sleep.

By the way, as an FYI, I have mysterious narcoleptic/hypersomnia type issues in addition to insomnia interfering with sleep that I am going to be seeing a sleep doctor about. But until that happens, I feel the need to do something on the odd occasion. Just didn't want you to be discouraged by my situation since I have some unusual circumstances i am dealing with.

I'm not at all discouraged, so no worries there. I took temazapam before, so I am a little familiar with it. Hope things go well with your sleep doctor, and you can start feeling better. Take care!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 99 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  what model is this? airwaystent 8 382 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 271 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,096 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question How do I enable autoset on a ReMed Airsense 10 elite krschultz 3 579 09-25-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.