I hit the doughnut hole today
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

RE: I hit the doughnut hole today
I'm using glucose test strips that are 4 years past the expiration date. Do these things really expire?

They all seem to test within 5-10% of each other, up or down... so there isn't really much variance due to age... I remember when they were new, there was that much variance in the readings between each test strip. I could test once and a strip would provide a reading of 150, do it again with another strip (same batch), and it would be 135 or so, then do it again and it would be 160 or so.

Dont-know

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

07-31-2015 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

Don't really know if test strips 'expire'. I rarely have them around long enough to do that. I test my blood sugar at a bare minimum of 8 times a day, fasting (when I get up in the morning) before & after each meal and again at bedtime. Then if I drive anywhere, I test before I get behind the wheel, plus if I feel "odd" (as if I'm having a low or feel sick) I test again. My fingers have callouses on them. So, I'm glad to know where the best prices are found.

It would be interesting to know if they do expire though ?
07-31-2015 12:54 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(07-31-2015 12:54 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  It would be interesting to know if they do expire though ?

If stored where the temperature doesn't get too hot, they should be good beyond expiration. Test strips are Medicare part B, not D. So, not subject to the doughnut hole. Getting Medicare to approve more than 3 per day for those using insulin can be a hard sell if Medicare chooses to select you for extinction. Two of the big mail order PBMs, eScripts and Caremark refuse to supply One-Touch strips for profit driven reasons.

I use generic meds whenever possible. The rDNA synthetic analogue insulins are expensive; and have driven me to the doughnut hole. I was not subject to the doughnut hole until Northrop-Grumman tossed retirees into the exchanges.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-31-2015 01:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

I would think the expiration date on test strips comes from whatever is on them to be able to give a reading on the blood drop. I am just guessing that is the reason for the expiration date.

It is my belief that Obama Care is behind a lot of the cause of insurance companies merging, employers providing less benefits, etc. If people couldn't afford insurance before Obama Care, they sure can't afford medical treatment with it because the deductibles are so high. All the while, those at the White House, past, present and future, are exempt from Obama Care.
07-31-2015 03:52 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

I have a brother who is a veteran and served for 4 years during the time of the Beirut conflict. He has had high blood pressure for along time and finally gave up taking his meds because it came down to a decision whether to pay for food or the meds. He went for a number of years not knowing that he qualified for help from the VA. I encouraged him to at least apply with them and Yes, sometimes it isn't the best situations, but at least now they are giving him some kind of medical care - where before he had none, not even through his job.

Employers are offering health benefits less and less often nowadays. My husband is 70 years old, still works full time and has no health benefits except for Medicare and a secondary insurance. He gets nothing at all from his employer, but he is working because he likes his job and they seem to like his experience in his field.
07-31-2015 04:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Be sure and complain to your Congressscum. They won't listen that much, but if enough people complain, it might help a little.

If your Congressscum is a Tea Party or other "small government" type, be sure to say you may not like Medicare, but since you're forced into it, they should make it work.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
07-31-2015 04:57 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

(07-31-2015 12:45 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  I'm using glucose test strips that are 4 years past the expiration date. Do these things really expire?

They all seem to test within 5-10% of each other, up or down... so there isn't really much variance due to age... I remember when they were new, there was that much variance in the readings between each test strip. I could test once and a strip would provide a reading of 150, do it again with another strip (same batch), and it would be 135 or so, then do it again and it would be 160 or so.

Dont-know

It depends on the brand and how you store them. My Bayer Contour strips were still accurate a year after expiration. They are stored in a cool, dark and dry area. There are a couple of new meters where the strips will not work once the expiration date has been reached. This is in the electronics of the strip.

What you SHOULD know is that at the end of this year, all blood glucose home monitors must meet the new federal guidelines and be within 15% of lab test (used to be 20%). Accuchek was the only company to meet that standard before this guideline was established (one of their meters didn't meet it, but it does now). All the new Bayer products produced THIS year meet the guideline. Pharmacists at both Walmart and Target (lowest cost) did not even know about the new guideline much less whether the machines meet the guideline. There is no rule that they can't keep selling these older machines - just can't make them that way any longer.
07-31-2015 05:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

(07-31-2015 05:19 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  
(07-31-2015 12:45 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  I'm using glucose test strips that are 4 years past the expiration date. Do these things really expire?

Dont-know

It depends on the brand and how you store them. My Bayer Contour strips were still accurate a year after expiration. They are stored in a cool, dark and dry area. There are a couple of new meters where the strips will not work once the expiration date has been reached. This is in the electronics of the strip.

What you SHOULD know is that at the end of this year, all blood glucose home monitors must meet the new federal guidelines and be within 15% of lab test (used to be 20%). Accuchek was the only company to meet that standard before this guideline was established (one of their meters didn't meet it, but it does now). All the new Bayer products produced THIS year meet the guideline. Pharmacists at both Walmart and Target (lowest cost) did not even know about the new guideline much less whether the machines meet the guideline. There is no rule that they can't keep selling these older machines - just can't make them that way any longer.

How do you find out when the blood glucose monitors were manufactured? I'm not doubting your facts, I would have no idea of where to look. People offer 'new' monitors on eBay for cheap - but I bought one on there once that expired in 2011. My fault because I didn't look closely enough at the listing - I do now. I have a Bayer Contour Next Link meter (which means it 'talks' to my insulin pump) and about half the time the meter tells me that I've inserted a used strip and to please put in a new one. This all happens in spite of the fact that I have never put a used strip into the meter. Bayer customer service absolutely sucks. I've spent many times trying to convince them that I don't try to re-use test strips. They just will not compromise at all.
07-31-2015 05:42 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

(07-31-2015 03:52 PM)me50 Wrote:  I would think the expiration date on test strips comes from whatever is on them to be able to give a reading on the blood drop. I am just guessing that is the reason for the expiration date.

The expiration date on most drugs is determined by the marketing department of the pharmaceutical company. I kid you not. That is what the FDA found out. They were asked to determine when things actually expire for the Military because the Military had millions of dollars of drugs that would be thrown away. So, FDA did tests on the most commonly used 400 drugs - the majority of drugs had 95% efficacy 3-4 years after the date of expiration (now this is with proper storage). There were some classes and types of drugs that were excepted - like antibiotics and cremes, but most tablet type drugs last long beyond expiration IF PROPERLY STORED!

I don't know if that study is still on the internet, but I seem to recall it was in the late 1990s.

I'm not going to get into the Obamacare/insurance thing. I'm on Medicare. I don't expect them to pay for everything, but if your income is low enough, you can apply for help with Medicare. I kept throwing those letters away thinking that it was a scam.

http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHIP-Pr...llees.html
07-31-2015 05:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

My physician told me years ago: The makers would love to have a pill that expires on a date certain. They do not.
Test strips could possibly be encoded with an expiration date readable by the meter; if so, their engineering people have way too much time on their hands.

I prefer the One-Touch Ultra Blue because I have their software and the meter interface cord to read and plot the data.

I cannot get into the VA at this time. They go through periods where they will not sign up new patients who have no S.C. disability. Right now is one of those periods because of all the fiasco at the VA. I do not wish to see their doctors -- but would like to get meds through them.

My former company blamed the ACA for their cuts to retirees. If I believe them, they lost their tax exemption for providing the insurance.

I write to my Congress critter so often, I suspect they have a file for me. (The circular file.)
Writing to Congress is like abandoning a baby on a doorstep.

07-31-2015 06:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  We have rain today justMongo 16 822 02-05-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Today is the day! retired_guy 21 1,607 05-28-2015 04:44 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Today's Trivia Quiz justMongo 15 1,705 11-12-2014 12:48 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Stock up today! retired_guy 10 1,727 09-25-2014 03:46 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper