Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I just changed from a DreamStation to an Airsense 10.
RE: I just changed from a DreamStation to an Airsense 10.
Flex settings 1, 2, and 3. for PR machines:

You can receive up to 2cm pressure relief, which is flow based.

• C-Flex – Provides pressure relief upon exhalation.
• A-Flex/C-Flex+ – Provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation.

Regardless of whether you use a setting of 1, 2 or 3... the most pressure relief drop would be no more than 2cm.

The only suggestion I have is to try the different settings of 1,2 or 3 to see how it feels. I was only able to use 1 or 2. A setting of 3 felt like my inhalation was being cut off prematurely. Either way, you will not receive more than 2cm drop.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2020, 11:56 AM)fejsbukpejdz Wrote: Is C Flex the same as EPR?

In other words, how many cm h20 do they provide?

My Dreamstation currently give me
EPAP 7.5
and
Pressure set 9.5

So dreamstation can do 2 cm h20?

One thing I do not get, C flex has three levels
1 2 and 3

and I thought I read somewhere C flex 3rd level gives 3 cm h2o?

I am little bit confused

C-Flex.
1= 1cm lower than pressure setting when exhaling.
2= 2cm lower.
3= 3cm lower.

So for example if your fixed pressure is set at 8 a C-Flex setting of 3 will give you an exhale pressure equivalent to having the fixed pressure set at 5.

It is simply to make breathing out against the incoming pressure easier.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
Ockrocket I’m sorry but you’re wrong. opalRose description is correct. The problem wit Flex is it predicts inspiration and expiration timing and often gets it wrong causing poor sync and more events. Resmed follows respiration with true bilevel pressure support and actually has therapeutic applications the Philips machines are not capable of providing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2020, 08:33 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Ockrocket I’m sorry but you’re wrong. opalRose description is correct. The problem wit Flex is it predicts inspiration and expiration timing and often gets it wrong causing poor sync and more events. Resmed follows respiration with true bilevel pressure support and actually has therapeutic applications the Philips machines are not capable of providing.

I'm not stating Flex vs Bi-level.. I'm only saying what the manual says is the difference between the fixed or set pressure inhale is compared to the Flex exhale pressure on a Dreamstation, not whether it gets it right with timing or is effective.

I was trying to clear some of the confusion fejsbukpejdz expressed regarding how C-Flex works, I am not delving in to whether ResMed is better than a Dreamstation at how it manages apnoea events (in the future I may be able to give first hand feedback as I'm still trying to reduce my AHI to a consistently low number, and as I'm not having a lot of success there is the probability I will look for a second hand ResMed unit as my next step.. I can't afford the $1,500 to $2,000 AuD for a new one).
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
I was asking because I don't see those 3 cm..

At setting of 3 it fluctuates 2 cm of maybe 2.5

Not 3 as it was stated somewhere.

Also yes sometimes not synced. 

I'm in Vienna today buying the resmed aircurve 10 vauto.

3000 euros with humidifier.

I'll get mandivular advancement device as well and combine it with this machine.

Also if this machine makes centrals I will buy ASV machine.

I don't care about money, my parents just undersood me this morning and I told them how horrible my nights are.

I noticed if I have a good night and don't fall on my back and somehow make it through, my anxiety is waay lower during the day and I somehow can function during the day.

If I have a bad night and struggle for that air, I wake up full of anxiety and it's horrible it holds me till 3 pm or so and then it subsides and by the evening it is almost completely gone. 

And so... But this dreamstation machine still helped me a lot to get my sleep back at least a little bit.

Before I got it I was sooo tired all the time but unlike many apnea patients I actually experienced anxiety and depression and panic attacks and completely lost logical thinking capability and could not even hear people when they talk to me and could not study or read anything. Concentration was zero.

Then I got dreamstation and I made it through the night without standing up and waking up 15 times. But still I was waking up like 3 or 4 times and I never had trouble falling asleep at the beginnkg. So it was not insomnia. But when i woke up gasping for air or so, I can't fall back asleep, I guess that adrenalin does injustice to my body in those moments. And so I sometimes wait and turn and have racing throughs in my mind till I fall asleep again just to be woken up again 

Weirdly sleep apnea patients don't have anxiety in day time? Just sleepiness and depression?

I actually used to have extreme sleepiness and depression but also anxiety and panic attacks. And since I started sleeping with a dreamstation and without having extreme sleep deprivation and having my sleep interrupted so much the depression went away. Sleepiness and energy also improved. I don't have panic attacks anymore. According to function and prove that I can literally learned maybe five pages a day. Which was good. 

However anxiety can still be razor-sharp in the morning. Not close to how it was before I got the machine but it's still there let's say 20% or 25%.

I noticed that my control over my anxiety really fluctuates in accordance to the quality of the sleep I get.

For example of my O2 levels to not fluctuate much and if my breathing that's enough look irregular I wake up feeling so nice as if storm passed.

Can I go back to sleep and I wake up feeling like there is a razor sharp knife in my chest and it's making me feel so nervous about random things..

I look at my oscar data and it turns out ahi is 5 but considering how many events are skipped by this machine I assume it is 8 or 9. And considering that this machine does not even track flow limitations and it doesn't even recognize obvious RERAs the ones like a showing in the earlier.I guess my quality of sleep is was actually much worse than those a AHI by what they wrote.

I am getting this new machine now and hopefully also soon and mandibular advancement device

Submit machine will Bilevel Vuto what's the proper from breath to breath pressure support. 
That is what it's guaranteed and what is not guaranteed but spoken of by many here a more responsive algorithm. 

After that I'm getting a mandibular advancement device.

And if that fails me I'm planning to get a mandibular advancement device with an opening that leads air deeper below the tongue. 

And if that doesn't help me I saw some suction prosthesis that is kind of glue to the front of your neck and pulls the entire front wall off your neck forward. 

It is like manipular advancement device but for the entire neck.

And if the bilevel and if mandibular advancement device fails and if the prosthesis fails,

I will look into one of those surgeries but I first want to know what exactly is causing this.

If it's important part of my airways to just the upper Palatine bone that is too low or something then fine.

But I won't let someone slice me up just like that.

And I'm also considering even the most and resort extreme weight to solve this tracheostomy.

Has anyone had any experience with it and what are the consequences besides it looking disgusting and ugly?

I need to be honest I don't care how it looks like.

But some logic tells me that a permanent tracheostomy would be 100% successful treatment for this type of? 

I mean it's basically a hole in the trachea. ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the machine is all you will need. Don't get ahead of your needs, your AHI and flow limitation problems are not that bad, and you don't seem to have a central apnea problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
fejsbukpejdz,
Agree with SleepRider, take things slower.  And any surgery should be a last resort.  

Just to clarify the CFlex a little more, then I'll digress from the subject.  Smile

C-Flex settings of 1, 2, 3 do reduce the pressure when you start to breathe out, but not by exact cm's.  

The C-Flex drop in pressure for exhaling is not exact.  The amount of pressure reduction you get with C-Flex (at any C-Flex setting) is very dependent on how forcefully you happen to breathe out.  This is why you don't see the drop of 3cm when CFlex is set at 3.  

The actual drop in pressure during exhale is limited to up to 2cm at the max setting of 3, and even that is based on the force of your own breathing.  It is Flow Based.  If you don't breathe rather forcefully, it doesn't drop as much.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's how I view Flex vs EPR:

Flex settings are suggested or possible results, some reduction should happen but it doesn't broadly convey to everyone, the method of Flex's attributes are lost in a dark murky vagueness Respironics won't openly disclose

EPR is the opposite more or less, settings are definite values of cmH2O, tend to be repeatable and results should convey to the majority of users, method is easily understood and ResMed states the method rather plainly, it drops by defined cmH2O per setting on exhale
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry StevoDevo, didn't mean to deviate from your original subject.

I also switched brands.  Earlier this year, after using a PR system One Apap for 5 1/2 years,
I switched to a ResMed VAuto.  My stats on the PR machine weren't that bad as I would get anywhere between an AHI of 1 and 3, but still suffered from Reras and Flow Limitation.  My sleep was never that great either.

Now I know I'm comparing an Apap to a VAuto as I didn't get another Apap machine, but the change for me was noticeable.

The comfort level and sleep quality was the number one change.  My AHI isn't all that different, anywhere between .5 and 1.5, but Flow Limitation pretty much gone and awakenings gone too.  

I'm still tweaking things a bit, but I can now use a Pressure Support of between 3 and 4, for me seems to be perfect.  I could only get up to 2cm exhale pressure relief on the Respironics machine.  

I probably would have done just as well on the ResMed AutoSet, but have no regrets purchasing a VAuto.  

So yes, going from a Phillips Respironics to a ResMed is a game changer, and hope it will be for you too.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I got VAUTO, on the train back to my town from Vienna.

Gonna try to set it up tonight and post the results tomorrow Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 325 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dreamstation II -> AirSense 11 AutoSet todivefor 10 656 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: drwoodr
  Dreamstation -> Airsense 10 C2C pixpop 5 283 02-22-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 359 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.