Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I just completed my first week of using a machine. What does this data tell you?
RE: I just completed my first week of using a machine. What does this data tell you?
Yes stick with this setup. Let's see what trends out of this. CA are consistently inconsistent, so maybe that's an off night for CA. Or you have a teeter-totter effect, CA go up and hypopnea go down and vice versa. This is because actions to treat CA oppose treating hypopnea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I just completed my first week of using a machine. What does this data tell you?
So I had my 3rd night with the 2/2 PS setting and it is almost identical to the first 2 nights. On all 3 days with the new setting, my Apple Watch shows that blood oxygen goes down to 92-93% at times. That was very rare to me in the past. Especially since the Apple Watch only measures SpO2 a 10-15 times per night. In the past it recorded not more than 1 dip in a single night, but now it is 3-4 dips every night. 

(When I tried to upload the screenshots as attachments it would let me. I figured out that PNGs don´t work. JPEGs do. So now I know how to do it in the future.)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Please realize that it is not the low values that you should worry about, it is the duration.
total time <= 93%
Total time <= 92%
Total Time <= 90%
Total Time <= 88% (IMHO this is significant)
Total Time <= 85%
Total Time <= 80%

Note that 93,92,90 are used by some doctors, not all
88% is accepted by pretty much all.

A low spike only indicates that you should look deeper. I just assisted someone who had a low of 65% (<1 minute) and 90 minutes <= 88%. Which reading is more significant?
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless I'm reading your Sp02 chart wrong, it appears that the far left, older reading, went down further than any other. Now your recent ones are going not quite as far down but including shorter multiple dips. If this is accurate, the shorter duration dips, even multiple ones, may add up to be a less bad oxygen scenario.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortutnately I forgot to wear the Apple Watch last night. Not sure how reliable those readings are anyway. 

However, the AHI doesn´t seem to improve any further. And I feel pretty tired again even though I can sleep very well with the mask on.  Is there anything worth changing?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Centrals are notorious for their inconsistency from one night to the next. I'd suggest sticking with your current settings for another week to see how things settle in. That might make the path forward a little clearer. Increasing the PS a little might help with the hypopneas but increase the CAs. So it can be a delicate balance. With luck, a week from now we'll be able to see trends that could inform additional advice.

By the way, I always found it extremely difficult to stick with settings for a period of time. When things weren't going well, I was desperate to change something to see if I'd experience improvement. Yet in retrospect, I can see the value of patience. A week of data is so much more informative than a night or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your advice! Ill post again next Sunday.
Post Reply Post Reply
As promised it is 7 days later and here are some more screenshots. I sleep quite well, but I still feel extremly tired unfortunately.

I couldn´t get the attachment upload to work again unfortunately.

https://ibb.co/Y39NdFY
https://ibb.co/P4fgZd1
https://ibb.co/G7bt9Jv
Post Reply Post Reply
The zoomed-in view seems to show arousals followed by events, suggesting that at least some of the time, the events are not causing the arousals, but the causation is the other way around.

Sometimes hypopneas respond to higher pressure support and sometimes to a higher minimum. I think the challenge for you is to sleep with fewer arousals, and so I lean toward advising you to raise your PS by .5, to see whether that's a little more comfortable.

Your report of sleeping well but feeling very tired during the day makes me wonder if you have some additional health problem going on. Side effects of a drug you're taking? Thyroid problems? Autoimmune disease? Anemia? Well worth a conversation with your primary care physician.
Post Reply Post Reply
So you mean PSmax and PSmin both 2.5 from now on?

The sleepiness started 5 years ago and only got worse. I had a lot of doctors appointments, but nobody had a diagnosis until the 38AHI One month ago. Even a sleep study in 2017 found nothing.  I had chest and brain MRTs, countless blood tests, lung tests, heart tests, thyroid tests. All were normal. 

I possibly had Covid one year ago which gave me long covid with respiratory issues. I didn’t have typical Covid symptoms back then so I never got tested for a active infection. About one month after the first lockdown started I had extreme shortness of breath despite 95% SpO2. I never had respiratory issues before, So I expected these to be Covid related since the timing was fitting. 

Last summer they found Covid Antibodies, but the test was not very certain. So there is a 50/50 chance that I actually had Covid. The 4 years leading up to the pandemic where better compared to my current situation. 

Otherwise I don’t have any symptoms but extreme sleepiness. Last year up until December I was still able to go to the climbing gym or ride 38km on my bicycle. Now that isn’t possible anymore. I just lack the strength.  I take no medication either. I am 31 and this feels a bit like the end to me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Erasing data on machine sleepingbetterinFl 8 221 03-11-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 486 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 202 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 223 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,777 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.