Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Angry I just hate incompetence!
So I have an HMO. They have a DME department whose sole function is to approve DME devices and/or supplies for devices. I assume they also do the vendor management between the HMO and the Provider DMEs (who are outside companies). About a year and a half ago, maybe 2 years... I don't know now, I went to the offices of the Provider DME for a new mask setup. The technician there was so very rude and unprofessional I was just appalled. He then told me I could not have a new machine and that was that. He also told me at that time that I was only allotted 1 mask per year. So here I have been calling to get refills annually and paying for the in between stuff out of my pocket. You know, we do what we have to. So I called just a little bit ago and they had put in a new order desk since last year that is not affiliated with a specific shop (they are a national DME company). As I am talking to the gal on the phone we started just talking about stuff in general and I told her about how rude the guy was, and she said she had heard this story before from folks in my area. She then told me how often I am supposed to receive supplies... WHAT?! Huhsign Needless to say, I have a huge care package coming! Big Grin She was also nice enough to accept the fact that I had purchased my own machine that was different from the one provided me and so she switched that in the system so I would get the filters for the machine I use instead of the one in the closet. Thanks The only thing I couldn't get was 15mm hose. Apparently all they carry is 22mm. I had her ship it any way and I figure it never hurts to have an extra and I'll just continue to buy my own hoses.
Ya know, it's just always something! Oh-jeez I've been doing this for a long time and I still run into these type issues dealing with insurance and DME and stuff, so all you new folks out there, don't get discouraged. Dont-know It's just part of the game!

Mike

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
02-28-2014 04:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: I just hate incompetence!
Mmmhmm.
Boneheads.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
02-28-2014 04:25 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

Reading your account of your experience with the person at your DME reminds me of a comment I heard on a television show recently. It was the program "Judge Judy" and the comment I heard was "you can't fix stupid". I'm sorry you had to deal with a rude and ignorant person and ended up paying for your own stuff. I've had the same exact thing happen to me until I changed DME to a supplier closer to my home. Best wishes with your new DME.
02-28-2014 04:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

IMHO -- some of this "incompetence" is actually people who are incentivized monetarily to not deliver supplies. It saves the insurer money.

A DME only makes money by selling supplies -- generally they are more accommodating.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-28-2014 04:29 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Gosh you guys.... Every time I read one of these stories about DME's, or insurance companies or whatever I become once again so grateful that my stuff is provided by the VA. They have been so accommodating to me, and I'm sure to all their clients. The physical workup I got from the MD in charge of the sleep lab was the best I've had done in years. The sleep test was as pleasant as it could be under the circumstances of all that sort of thing.

If I need anything I just have to give them a call, or an email even. It'll show up in the mail in about two days.

They're a pretty small department so they don't have room for lots of different supplies, so if I want some oddball mask or something I would need to get it on my own, and that's fine with me. Also they're being small encourages me and I hope all their clients, to be careful with their time and their supplies.

If I could, I'd take all you guys in with me. There attitude is always you are the patient, you are the client, you are the person with a problem that they can help solve.

When I signed up for VA benefits, I wasn't sure. But I am now!
02-28-2014 06:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

No Thanks Retired_Guy! I've seen the VA in San Diego at work! I'd rather give myself a frontal lobotomy with a soup spoon! Just because the VA in Oregon may be good, don't make the mistake of judging all VAs by that rule! Trust me! I'm a veteran from a long line of veterans!

Mike

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
02-28-2014 07:18 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sorry to hear that Mike. I just know that since I've gone with the VA I've had better care for my emphysema and other problems, including the sleep thing, than I ever did on the economy even with Medicare coverages. Whether private, hmo, VA, or whatever, I just wish everyone could have the success rate I have had with my providers.
03-01-2014 01:34 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Moving this thread to the Off Topic since it is more about handling stupid DMEs than handling CPAP itself.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-01-2014 02:47 PM
nsheaffer Offline

New Members

Machine: Phillips System One
Mask Make & Model: Nuance
Humidifier: Phillips Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 10 to 20
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Nice. I have one too.

My Local Ap***(Not sure if I am allowed to say exactly who it was) Healthcare office took 19 days to get me my new CPAP machine. Paid for it Feb 27th and received it March 18th. Was told that they simply overlooked the order. Branch manager apologized and delivered it in person to me at work yesterday. I had called the local office many times and could never get past the waiting for rep message. Several emails to corporate and I finally got a call from the branch manager. LOL. I was beginning to think that they took my money and closed the branch down or something.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2014 12:08 PM by nsheaffer.)
03-19-2014 12:06 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

(02-28-2014 04:25 PM)Shastzi Wrote:  Mmmhmm.
Boneheads.

you are way too nice Shastzi Laugh-a-lot
03-19-2014 07:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry I Hate Call-in Centers PollCat 6 2,249 06-30-2014 05:42 PM
Last Post: Thegirls
  Oh I hate Windows 7 justMongo 8 1,601 06-23-2014 10:46 AM
Last Post: djjwilly
  I hate the health care system JJJ 13 3,707 07-04-2013 12:30 AM
Last Post: archangle