Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I just need a place to rant
I just need a place to rant
I don’t need help or resources I just need to share my feelings with people who are in the same place as me...
 My gripe today is that I’m constantly annoyed by the cost of CPAP supplies and machines and I don’t know if it’s because of  the way in which insurance companies reimburse or what, but I’m bugged. 

I dream that someday I might have the free choice  to drop by a local, trustworthy brick and mortar store to get my supplies, check in with the resp.  therapist, maybe get my machine calibrated....

Sadly the people at the equipment supplier I’m required to use are kind of shifty and they charge double what I pay online (and that’s with the insurance company supposedly paying part). 

OK, that’s it. Rant over.
Thank you for listening.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: I just need a place to rant
You can always buy online if you have the script on hand, assuming you're paying cash or your insurance allows it which most don't. As for the RT, some advice here may turn out to be equal or better, for free and without leaving the comfort of home and that fresh steaming mug of coffee. As for machine calibrations, if you mean assisting in optimizing pressure, we got that covered here too for free. If however, your machine needs service and calibration, sorry that we don't offer. And about 15,000 hours or 5 years are all these machines are good for anyway.

Insurance and the DME have a nice robbery racket going. Legal robbery akin to taxes.

Coffee
Dave
I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience and researched info regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional directions or advice.

OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Dealing With DME
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice.Yes I mean calibrate like with a manometer make sure the pressures are what they’re supposed to be. Water column and all like that. Does it matter? Probably not but still cool to know that the thing attached to my face all night is delivering precisely the amount of air that is dialed in.
Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
You can always perform a poor man's manometer test. Use something like a 5 gallon (18.93 l) bucket of water. With the CPAP off, set the desired pressure and place the mask end of your air hose at the bottom of the bucket. Turn on your CPAP and slowly withdraw the hose. When you see air bubbles coming out the hose end, mark the hose at the top of the water. Turn off your CPAP and measure the distance from the marked location to the hose end. The length, in centimeters, should be very close to the pressure you set.

I would suggest that you try this in your bathroom tub or outside. It saves a lot of explaining as to why you have all this water on the floor if something goes wrong.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead and OSCAR
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Brilliant...
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice.Yes I mean calibrate like with a manometer make sure the pressures are what they’re supposed to be. Water column and all like that. Does it matter? Probably not but still cool to know that the thing attached to my face all night is delivering precisely the amount of air that is dialed in.
Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
fortywinks Wrote:Does it matter? Probably not but still cool to know that the thing attached to my face all night is delivering precisely the amount of air that is dialed in.

With an automatic machine it probably doesn't matter a great deal, provided the pressure is not grossly out. The machine is monitoring your responses constantly and adjusting pressure accordingly. It's the relative changes that are important, not the exact pressure delivered.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation A little rant about walking in the road in the dark. MitchS 12 1,482 09-03-2016, 07:35 PM
Last Post: MitchS
  Rant - Want to throw IPhone out the window 49er 12 2,549 01-02-2016, 04:59 AM
Last Post: 49er
Wink So, what inappropriate place have you fallen asleep? mckevin32 15 6,046 03-23-2013, 02:37 AM
Last Post: cowboy1970

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.