Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I live here!
(06-27-2013, 08:13 AM)PollCat Wrote: Well - not all of Indiana is like Lake County. I live in Hamilton County, in the "city" of Westfield.

Bob.

True. Westfield is a nice community. Far enough away from Indianapolis city limits.... there's some areas of Indianapolis where I wouldn't want to be alone at night.... But even those areas in Indy are much better than a lot of the areas in Gary.

Northern Lake County (East Chicago, Hammond, Gary, etc) is worse than southern Lake County. Gary is the worst, however. There are some nice, safer smaller communities like Munster, Schererville, Griffith, St. John, Crown Point, Lowell etc. Merrillville is marginal, as long as you stay south of Route 30. The general movement of the criminal/gang element is southward, consistently, year after year. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't purchase a home north of Route 30, and if I was younger and looking now, with a 30 year time horizon, I wouldn't purchase in Lake County at all, north or south.

I know a lot of people who wish that Lake County would just become part of Chicago and leave the rest of Indiana alone. Bigwink

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I live in a valley in Northeastern Nevada that is 350 square miles and only 350 humans live here full time. The closest Wal-Mart is 135 miles away (whew!), we have no cell phone coverage (which leads to many dinner parties where we talk with each other instead of texting others), the closest grocery store is 70 miles away and my Sleep Doctor is 175 miles away. I'm so glad I live in the Snake Valley. And I'm so glad I found this Forum! But most of all, I'm so glad my cardiologist suggested a sleep study!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2013, 09:50 PM)MAPnea Wrote: we have no cell phone coverage

More importantly, your internet seems to be working :grin:

Welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply

Right now, the wife and I live in Knoxville, TN.

[Image: 007-1_zpsa957380b.jpg]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2013, 03:32 PM)DocWils Wrote: I shall refrain from posting pictures of Zurich - wouldn't want to get anyone upset....

Worse than Gary, IN?!?!?

OMyMy

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2013, 03:32 PM)DocWils Wrote: I shall refrain from posting pictures of Zurich - wouldn't want to get anyone upset....

I'm officially jealous. Got a spare room where I can come stay and visit Rolleyes for a few weeks?

I'm sure we could really get into a misinformed discussion about gun control if we discussed Zurich as well.
Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

(07-04-2013, 12:40 AM)archangle Wrote: I'm sure we could really get into a misinformed discussion about gun control if we discussed Zurich as well.

Ok, I'll bite...I think NPR gives a pretty objective account right here:

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/19/174758723/...un-culture

I'm a big fan of Swiss Rifles. Notice the rifle being aimed by the older gentleman in the picture at the top of the article. It is a K-31, a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and extremely accurate even though they shoot the huge and powerful 7.5 x 55 Swiss Cartridge. Being an older fellow, that is probably the rifle that was issued to him when he was much younger (before the full auto SG "Storm Rifles" came out). All of these older Swiss military rifles (often incorrectly referred to as "Schmidt-Rubin" rifles) have a straight-pull bolt, an engineering marvel which is very difficult and cost prohibitive to mass produce today. My absolute favorite rifle in my collection is an M 96/11 (Sometimes referred to as LG 96/11, LG for "Long Rifle" in German). The one I have was manufactured in 1904 in Waffenfabrik Bern (Swiss rifle factory in Canton Bern) - but later upgraded to the M/(LG) 11 style (design adopted in 1911) and issued to a gentleman in Aargau. It is almost identical to the relatively newer 1931 Karabiner except it has a much longer barrel and is a little more accurate at very long distances (both models exceed minute of angle). I would love to be able to examine one of the full auto Swiss rifles they have now - alas, Switzerland is just too far away for a weekend trip. Maybe when I retire...
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO_PBsYopsBm_hVyCLw0x...UEuTsagdMA]

Post Reply Post Reply
I was born in Gary, grew up near the Chicago border, have lived in various cities in Indiana and Germany and now live in rural Indiana, approximately 1.5 hours southeast of South Bend and 1 hour northwest of Fort Wayne. There's not much here but small towns and corn fields. Occasionally a farmer will shake it up and plant soybeans. Oddly, I like this quiet life here but miss the beauty a hilly landscape.
Post Reply Post Reply

I live in North Carolina, in the western end, in Buncombe County, near Asheville, in a little community called Leicester.

The big controversy around here is: it pronounced Less-ter or Lee-sess-ter? Years ago, a radio staion once did a study over time. When a caller said they were from Leicester, the DJ would ask if they drove a car or a truck. After nearly a year, they announced the result (no one but them knew they were doing it). The overwhelming divide was if you drove a truck, you pronounced it Less-ter. Car drivers called it the other name (which is incorrect, according to the Brits). There were so few switch hitters, it was shocking.

I drive a truck.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you snore, blame it on traffic fumes: People who live close to busy roads found to icyura10 3 418 08-30-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: chill