quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

Sex: Male

RE: I'm New and I'm Tired...zoom of CA's
@Hilobarbie - I saw the leaks, and do not think they are significant (except for sometimes being the trigger for waking). they did not seem to me to be aligned with the CAs. Your involuntary deep breaths do not seem to align with the CAs either. I think the step down to EPR=1 had a good effect, and hope that you can work your way up to more hours on the machine, even if it is 3 sessions of 2 hours each punctuated by an hour break (not sleeping).

All in all, this is a really great score and hope the trend continues. CAs are not excessive (even twice that would be a-ok)

Smile QAL

ps. the rise in pressure does correlate to flow limitations.

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
03-04-2015 08:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(03-03-2015 08:46 PM)Hilobarbie Wrote:  I may not understand exactly, I'm just too new, but my EPR was set at 1 last night. Prior to last night it was 2, but never 3. The second graph has leak rates and the last graph I included to show the data summary box on the left. Not knowing what I'm seeing on the graphs is a disadvantage, but the leak rate spike seems to correlate with the CA's. The first graph is zoomed in, the others are not. I do appreciate your input.

I should have paid more attention to the recent graph. It shows a nice improvement and the lower EPR seemed to limit CA events. Your incidence of CA is not a large concern, but your ability to stay with the therapy fro a full night is. Hopefully you will self-train to avoid the mouth leaks that disrupt your sleep. There are other mask options that might help if you don't overcome that problem. The hybrid masks have nasal pillows and cover your mouth. I wish you the best in getting this to be comfortable and restful.

03-04-2015 09:29 AM
Hilobarbie Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: Resmed H51
CPAP Pressure: 7 and 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Sadly, only an hour of therapy last night. This past week I've been really bothered with RLS. Historically, I might have one or possibly two nights a year with RLS so I don't know what is going on with that. When it starts, I know I have to get up because I will just toss and turn and never get any good sleep. I find that moving to the couch enables me to finally settle down and sleep and of course my ResMed is in the bedroom. Maybe, for a few days, I should move the machine to the area of the couch. My initial week of therapy I was sleeping 8 hours. My adjustment to the nasal mask and CPAP was hardly noticeable.....thankfully. So, it's not adjusting to the use of the equipment that is a problem. Could the therapy be a cause for this unusual RLS string of restless nights?

Can't thank you all for your support and explanation of what my graphs reveal and adjustments that might help. You are great!

On previous graphs, I notice the CA,s don't start until about the third hour or so of sleep.

Can I print Daily graph reports? I'd really like to take those with me next Monday when I meet with the "Sleep Doc".

Barbara
Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
03-04-2015 01:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

@barb - so, REM sleep is usually at least 90 minutes in, and first episode is usually short (like 5 - 10 mins), more REM sleep occurs later, say by about 4 or 5 hours after initial sleep, and is for longer periods. Some folks have apneas (OA and CA) in more abundance during REM sleep. The character of REM sleep increases the likelihood of both OA and CA, and there are many erratic shifts in respiration, BP, and pulse rate. - some good papers on why, but.... this may be what is going on with you. And, if it is, it probably can be managed, so no panicking.

I would say definitely take your machine with you.... to the couch, to the bus, wherever you sleep.

While I would normally say if the CAs are happening after 3 hours, then do your sleep in 3 hour chunks. But, that would be bad if you were only getting your REM sleep after 3 hours. Getting no REM sleep isn't what we are going for, just to get a good score!

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
03-04-2015 01:52 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3

Other Comments:

Hilobarbie, you can print the graphs easily. You can click File/Print Report, or just as you posted screenshots, those are saved as acrobat (PDF) files. Just go to the details of the days you want to print, arrange the graphs and information pane, then hit F12 to save a screenshot. The screenshot files are saved in a Windows machine at My Documents/Sleepyhead/Screenshots. You can open them and print.

03-04-2015 03:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Hilobarbie,

I do not see that your CAs correlate with high leakage. Further with only 3 CAs per night I would not worry about them.

Sleeprider,

As Hilobarbie says the leaks graph is present and accounted for. Leaks are not excessive. Hardly even there.
03-04-2015 04:59 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(03-02-2015 12:16 PM)Hilobarbie Wrote:  Someone asked me to provide a Zoom of the CA's. I was reading how to use the program and discovered how to zoom, so here is the link

Those don't really look that bad. You're breathing heavily, then having a few micro breaths. Your breathing gap isn't that long, and the sequence of CA's don't occupy that many total minutes during the night.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
03-04-2015 09:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Hilobarbie Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

I turned off my EPR last night, after about a week at EPR 1. Observations or advice?

//imgur.com/dawuWjR][Image: dawuWjR.png][/url]

Barbara
03-08-2015 01:16 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Leak rate is bad. I wonder if the data is trustworthy with the leak rate so high... You have a constant high rate of leak. If it was me, I would start with the mask. Nasal pillows will give lowest leak unless you are mouth breathing. In that case, I would use a chinstrap. If that failed, I would try a full face mask and pay close attn to fit. The other thing I would do is to focus on narrowing the pressure range. your pressures would not need to be as high as they are if the leak rate was under control, and pressure induced CA is correlated with higher pressures and with pressure variations. Can't see on the graph how the pressure correlates to events, or if it does. Might make a difference.

Summary, reduce leaks and reduce pressure with a narrower range.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 01:40 PM by DariaVader.)
03-08-2015 01:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Hilobarbie Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

Thanks Daria. I recall waking having trouble exhale....like resistance. I was using nose mask, maybe I'll switch to Nose pillow tonight and see if that changes anything. Face mask would be my last ditch effort, but may not be as bad as I imagine.

Barbara
03-08-2015 02:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Treatment] One Year in and still have tired days Sleepyv 17 524 12-01-2016 02:58 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  When does the "tired" feeling go away? Cranberry Ray 8 494 11-30-2016 10:10 AM
Last Post: Cranberry Ray
  New, very tired, and need help beckysmith 35 1,322 11-28-2016 06:53 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Good stats, good sleep, but still tired... Lourens1190 14 857 11-03-2016 05:40 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  [CPAP] still very tired and don't know what to do mlasham 30 1,485 10-10-2016 09:11 PM
Last Post: Violetskyye
  cpap therapy still tired wyu177 12 844 09-21-2016 09:32 AM
Last Post: wyu177
  extremely tired all the time. need advice. dorlow 63 4,436 09-11-2016 08:34 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse