Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm New and I'm Tired...zoom of CA's
RE: I'm New and I'm Tired...zoom of CA's
@Hilobarbie - I saw the leaks, and do not think they are significant (except for sometimes being the trigger for waking). they did not seem to me to be aligned with the CAs. Your involuntary deep breaths do not seem to align with the CAs either. I think the step down to EPR=1 had a good effect, and hope that you can work your way up to more hours on the machine, even if it is 3 sessions of 2 hours each punctuated by an hour break (not sleeping).

All in all, this is a really great score and hope the trend continues. CAs are not excessive (even twice that would be a-ok)

Smile QAL

ps. the rise in pressure does correlate to flow limitations.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2015, 08:46 PM)Hilobarbie Wrote: I may not understand exactly, I'm just too new, but my EPR was set at 1 last night. Prior to last night it was 2, but never 3. The second graph has leak rates and the last graph I included to show the data summary box on the left. Not knowing what I'm seeing on the graphs is a disadvantage, but the leak rate spike seems to correlate with the CA's. The first graph is zoomed in, the others are not. I do appreciate your input.

I should have paid more attention to the recent graph. It shows a nice improvement and the lower EPR seemed to limit CA events. Your incidence of CA is not a large concern, but your ability to stay with the therapy fro a full night is. Hopefully you will self-train to avoid the mouth leaks that disrupt your sleep. There are other mask options that might help if you don't overcome that problem. The hybrid masks have nasal pillows and cover your mouth. I wish you the best in getting this to be comfortable and restful.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly, only an hour of therapy last night. This past week I've been really bothered with RLS. Historically, I might have one or possibly two nights a year with RLS so I don't know what is going on with that. When it starts, I know I have to get up because I will just toss and turn and never get any good sleep. I find that moving to the couch enables me to finally settle down and sleep and of course my ResMed is in the bedroom. Maybe, for a few days, I should move the machine to the area of the couch. My initial week of therapy I was sleeping 8 hours. My adjustment to the nasal mask and CPAP was hardly noticeable.....thankfully. So, it's not adjusting to the use of the equipment that is a problem. Could the therapy be a cause for this unusual RLS string of restless nights?

Can't thank you all for your support and explanation of what my graphs reveal and adjustments that might help. You are great!

On previous graphs, I notice the CA,s don't start until about the third hour or so of sleep.

Can I print Daily graph reports? I'd really like to take those with me next Monday when I meet with the "Sleep Doc".
Barbara
Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
Post Reply Post Reply
@barb - so, REM sleep is usually at least 90 minutes in, and first episode is usually short (like 5 - 10 mins), more REM sleep occurs later, say by about 4 or 5 hours after initial sleep, and is for longer periods. Some folks have apneas (OA and CA) in more abundance during REM sleep. The character of REM sleep increases the likelihood of both OA and CA, and there are many erratic shifts in respiration, BP, and pulse rate. - some good papers on why, but.... this may be what is going on with you. And, if it is, it probably can be managed, so no panicking.

I would say definitely take your machine with you.... to the couch, to the bus, wherever you sleep.

While I would normally say if the CAs are happening after 3 hours, then do your sleep in 3 hour chunks. But, that would be bad if you were only getting your REM sleep after 3 hours. Getting no REM sleep isn't what we are going for, just to get a good score!

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hilobarbie, you can print the graphs easily. You can click File/Print Report, or just as you posted screenshots, those are saved as acrobat (PDF) files. Just go to the details of the days you want to print, arrange the graphs and information pane, then hit F12 to save a screenshot. The screenshot files are saved in a Windows machine at My Documents/Sleepyhead/Screenshots. You can open them and print.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hilobarbie,

I do not see that your CAs correlate with high leakage. Further with only 3 CAs per night I would not worry about them.

Sleeprider,

As Hilobarbie says the leaks graph is present and accounted for. Leaks are not excessive. Hardly even there.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2015, 12:16 PM)Hilobarbie Wrote: Someone asked me to provide a Zoom of the CA's. I was reading how to use the program and discovered how to zoom, so here is the link

Those don't really look that bad. You're breathing heavily, then having a few micro breaths. Your breathing gap isn't that long, and the sequence of CA's don't occupy that many total minutes during the night.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I turned off my EPR last night, after about a week at EPR 1. Observations or advice?

//imgur.com/dawuWjR][Image: dawuWjR.png][/url]
Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply
Leak rate is bad. I wonder if the data is trustworthy with the leak rate so high... You have a constant high rate of leak. If it was me, I would start with the mask. Nasal pillows will give lowest leak unless you are mouth breathing. In that case, I would use a chinstrap. If that failed, I would try a full face mask and pay close attn to fit. The other thing I would do is to focus on narrowing the pressure range. your pressures would not need to be as high as they are if the leak rate was under control, and pressure induced CA is correlated with higher pressures and with pressure variations. Can't see on the graph how the pressure correlates to events, or if it does. Might make a difference.

Summary, reduce leaks and reduce pressure with a narrower range.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Daria. I recall waking having trouble exhale....like resistance. I was using nose mask, maybe I'll switch to Nose pillow tonight and see if that changes anything. Face mask would be my last ditch effort, but may not be as bad as I imagine.
Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 3 69 1 hour ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 247 10 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 70 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,988 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 183 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 138 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.