Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm a loaner..
I'm a loaner..
My appointment yesterday resulted in me going home with a loaner machine and mask which I'm to use for 2 weeks.

The machine is a REMstar Auto A-flex with a System One humidifier.
The mask is a Fisher and Paykel Pilairo.

I go back on June 3rd for them to read the data and then they will reset my original machine to match the pressure on the A-flex. My original machine does not have an auto setting apparently. Sad

It took me about 2 hours to fall asleep last night, in part because we watch tv in bed but also getting used to a new mask wasn't easy. Once I did go to sleep, I slept fairly comfortably and only woke to turn over. This means, I had my first full night sleep with a cpap machine ever (and I got my original in Feb 2013)!

I'm not sold on this mask. I still think it's too big. It was chosen for me because I'm on such a high pressure and apparently nose pillows aren't great for people with high pressure so the little air cushions on the side are supposed to inflate at higher pressures to help keep the mask in position. I think it just made my face sweaty.

I'm going to link to my read out from my first night with the loaner machine. Please tell me what you think. I'm still new to this.

tinyurl.com/qfou5cz

(Sorry, I can't post clickable links yet.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm a loaner..
(05-21-2014, 06:27 AM)Yveylise Wrote: I'm not sold on this mask. I still think it's too big. It was chosen for me because I'm on such a high pressure and apparently nose pillows aren't great for people with high pressure so the little air cushions on the side are supposed to inflate at higher pressures to help keep the mask in position.
Isn't Pilairo a nasal pillows mask?
Use whatever feel most comfortable for you and don,t let anyone to tell you otherwise Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2014, 06:50 AM)zonk Wrote: Isn't Pilairo a nasal pillows mask?
Use whatever feel most comfortable for you and don,t let anyone to tell you otherwise Coffee

It is but I was told "it's made for high pressures". It still covers my top lip and lays out across my cheeks as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
13 is NOT a "high pressure".

Pretty much any pillow mask should or could work at that pressure.

The Airfit P10 for certain does for me.

BUT THE BIG NEWS, and you buried the lead: FIRST FULL NIGHT OF SLEEP despite having a machine for over a year (Feb 2013)!!!!

Congratulations!

That is great news.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that is good news! ..and I'll second what Herb said about the P10. But if you can happily (more or less) coexist with the mask you have for awhile let's see what your pressure does. I would certainly like it if they could trade you the new machine for your old one. There is so much greater capability. But since you've had your old one since 2013 I doubt they can do that. That does not mean I would not encourage you to nag for that very thing however...........

Keep us posted as to how you're doing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I second retired_guy. The answer to your issue of not getting a full night is obvious: you more have an APAP. I had the same experience when I stated therapy. I was given a repironics apap as a loaner to avoid a 6 month wait for titration. Then they gave me a ResMed cpap set at 18 for my "permanent" solution. First night on any machine at all, I went a full 9 hours, never moved, felt great in the morning, etc. First night, 3 weeks later, on cpap I couldn't sleep, suffered aerophagia, kept having air leaks into my eyes... Next night I flung the mask across the room and took the works back and demanded my nice shiny ResMed s9 autoset.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2014, 06:27 AM)Yveylise Wrote: My appointment yesterday resulted in me going home with a loaner machine and mask which I'm to use for 2 weeks.

The machine is a REMstar Auto A-flex with a System One humidifier.
The mask is a Fisher and Paykel Pilairo.
. . .
I go back on June 3rd for them to read the data and then they will reset my original machine to match the pressure on the A-flex. My original machine does not have an auto setting apparently. Sad
. . .
I'm going to link to my read out from my first night with the loaner machine. Please tell me what you think. I'm still new to this.

Hi Yveylise,
Welcome to this forum - it is a great place to learn a lot of things you need to know.

The advice you have received so far is all correct, in that you need to address your mask issues, and get comfortable. Most agree that the mask is the most difficult part of PAP therapy.

However, if I were in your shoes, I would also be addressing the issue of your machine. I saw a reply from Zonk indicating that your machine is not data-capable, nor is it an Auto type. This has you at a serious disadvantage in correcting your issues, or even identifying what they are. The usual term for machines of the type you have is a "brick": tells you nothing about what is going on during your sleep, and has no auto function to adjust to changing conditions.

Isn't it interesting that the sleep clinic gave you a loaner data-capable auto-type machine, to get some data so they can better address your issues. In my mind, it would obviously be better if you had a machine by your bedside every night that would do the same.

I don't know your insurance or financial situation, but if you can get a copy of your prescription (which you should have for a number of reasons), you could think about getting an open-box or gently-used data-capable machine from Supplier #2 (or wherever), and retire your brick to backup duty. If your present machine is a "rental" rather than purchase, perhaps there is still some chance of upgrading. In any case, if it were me, I would be looking at the options.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI:

If you can convince, cajole, beg, etc. you doc into writing the prescrition as "APAP" then you are pretty much good to go -- they (DME and Insurance) will need to provide that type of machine.

Also, there is nothing particularly wrong with a Pilairo -- a very RARE few people like it better than the Airfit P10, but most people find it a not TOO distant 2nd to the P10.

It's a good mask. Might be the BEST mask (for those who can use pillows) other than the P10.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Sigh. Herb is so taken with the P10 he forgets there are others out there. "They" say nasal pillows aren't good for high pressures but most of them do just fine. My Swift LT did well and at that point I think I was up to 16, maybe 18. When I tried the P10, I was at 18 and 20. And my Nuance is doing just fine at 20. So go with a mask that fits you well and your sleep pattern. And ignore Herb. Unless your head is shaped just like his or you are willing to modify the headgear, the P10 may not be worth it. Bigwink

Your numbers look good. Congrats on the night's sleep!

In the future, you can do an attachment:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2014, 09:50 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Sigh. Herb is so taken with the P10 he forgets there are others out there. "They" say nasal pillows aren't good for high pressures but most of them do just fine. My Swift LT did well and at that point I think I was up to 16, maybe 18. When I tried the P10, I was at 18 and 20. And my Nuance is doing just fine at 20. So go with a mask that fits you well and your sleep pattern. And ignore Herb. Unless your head is shaped just like his or you are willing to modify the headgear, the P10 may not be worth it. Bigwink

Your numbers look good. Congrats on the night's sleep!

In the future, you can do an attachment:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments

Isn't everyone's head just like Herb's? Actually Herb and I may not agree on one or two things, but we agree on the P10. Actually, actually, it was Herb that convinced me to try one.

I like the P10 a lot. I did modify the headgear a little. I was using it with a chinstrap and decided to try going without a chinstrap. By then the straps were a little more stretched out than I liked. So out come the scissors, chop chop, on go the safety pins and I was all set. I still have the safety pins in place and have gone back to the chinstrap as well. They work fine, and it makes me look like I have two small bows in my hair. I would be all the rage at my sleep clinic.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 327 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
  Does your DME provide a loaner if your xPAP needs repair? DariaVader 5 1,678 12-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes
  Loaner Resmed Airsense not working with SleepyHead Zandor435 6 1,747 07-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Last Post: ajack
Smile Help with S8 loaner TheManseHen 4 1,374 03-07-2016, 08:40 PM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes
  Stuck with a brick during loaner... cate1898 17 4,140 09-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Last Post: cate1898
  Got my own machine today..no more loaner kitley 12 6,593 06-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.