Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm an overwelmed New APAP User, Help!
I'm an overwelmed New APAP User, Help!
I was diagnosed with mild OSA (8.7) by a take home test in November. My symptoms were frequent night time awakenings and general fatigue during the day. I only slept for less than 1 hour at my lab study on December 8. The tech said that he could not see how the doctor could recommend a therapy pressure with the little data gathered. Nevertheless, the sleep doc sent a script to my general physician with a fixed pressure of 6. My brother-in-law works in research in the field and recommended strongly that I get an APAP so that the machine's algorithims could detect the right therapy pressures. After considerable research on my own, I decided to get a Respironics DreamStation with humidification and a DreamWare Nasal Pillow Mask. I was able to persuade my GP to get the script for an APAP. Our local DME RT said he had little experience with this machine and mask, tried to get me to accept another, but finally agreed. After not hearing from him for several weeks, I called and found out that he had been "let go"and my paperwork was in limbo. A very nice RT who replaced him asked for several weeks to research the DreamStation. Finally last Thursday, I met with him to get it set up. He had a Respironics Rep at the meeting who was very helpful. I had to wait until Monday to get it, however, since the first RT ordered the wrong mask!

I've used it for 2 nights. I really don't expect an instant cure, and I'm willing to work hard and patiently to get results. The first 2 nights produced AHI's higher than the study! In addition, I have had considerable nasal stuffiness both nights and and dry mouth on the second. I have noticed that some air leaks out of my mouth during exhalation. (I didn't think I was a mouth breather)

Here are my settings:
Pressure Range - 5 to 20
AFlex - 3
Opti-Start enabled
Ramp - 45 minutes (I changed to 20 minutes on 2nd night)
Humidifier on Adaptive
Humidifier Heat - 3 (I changed to 4 on 2nd night; at 4 tank is almost empty in AM)
Tube Heat - 3 (I changed to 4 on 2nd night)

Here are my results (1st night, second night):
Usage - 6.5 hours, 8.5 hours
AHI - 10.7, 9.7
Pressurized Breathing: 2%, 0%
Mask Fit - 100%, 100%
90% Pressure - 9.5, 7.0

Since my DME is relatively unfamiliar with the machine and my doctor is not much involved, I need your experienced guidance. Please help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm an overwelmed New APAP User, Help!
Pretty incredible that people that supposedly make their living managing the care of patients on CPAP are unaware of the most common machine on the market...just amazing!

You did well to stand up for your rights and get a new auto machine. Be sure to get a copy of the provider manual at this link http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Your apnea is not unlike my wife's who recently started therapy. She was titrated to 8 cm, and issued an auto CPAP at 8 cm pressure. We changed that to auto mode with a range of 7.6 to 10 and immediately cut her AHI and increased comfort.

You have made some good changes to try different humidifier settings, and ramp time. You need to change your minimum pressure to 7 or 7.5. This will put the machine closer to your therapy pressure. With a minimum pressure of 5, the pressure is too low to be effective, and it keeps dropping out of therapy range. You may want to turn off ramp, or set the minimum ramp pressure to 5 or 6. Your pressures are pretty low, and you should have no problem starting at your new minimum pressure. Change your minimum pressure, and when you are able to post a Sleepyhead screen shot after 4 posts, follow the instructions in my signature for formatting the charts, and posting through Imgur. Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider

Thanks for your quick reply. I will try your adjustments and keep you posted. I have downloaded SleepyHead and will collect my data.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is not uncommon to find that the low pressure needs to be raised. As it gets closer to what you need the events of no air for your lungs will start to go away.

You will need to learn how to adjust your own treatment. Read this forum for information.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RWhipkey,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 487 Today, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 375 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,363 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,107 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 547 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 192 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.