Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm back!!! How to find a DME for CPAP?
Sad 
I'm back!!! How to find a DME for CPAP?
So it's been 2 years since I last tried a CPAP/APAP and gave up.    Slept without anything, but was having issues (mostly sinus).  So I saw an ENT a few times and then had UPPP/Tonsil removal and Nasal Turbinate reduction surgery 10/2016.   Guess what.  That didn't really help.  Went for a sleep study in 2/2017 and the Sleep Apnea was worse, not better.

I actually felt like I was sleeping better though, so the ENT said for me to try it without a CPAP for a bit.   FFWD to now, and I feel like I'm still having trouble sleeping.  I think most of it is my sinuses.  Only seems to get clogged when I sleep.  Sinus rinse, Sinus allergy meds, none of them seem to help.   Breathright does seem to help except it bothers my skin a little.

Anyway..  I decided I wanted to try a CPAP again.  So talked to the ENT.  They sent my prescription to a local DME a few weeks ago.   I never heard anything from the DME.  Called them and they said they were going to confirm benefits etc.   I tried calling them again for the last few days and left a message.  No response.

So now I'm thinking I need to try and find another DME provider.   Apria?  Lincare? someone else?  My insurance will pay for the CPAP, but I need to find one that is part of my network and actually answers the phone.  

I tried calling random places on google maps, but all of them are cash places. Are there any good DME providers? If so, how do I find one?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm back!!! How to find a DME for CPAP?
It seems your profile shows a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and Nasal Pillows...where are they? Most users of that equipment are not qualified for a new machine, but might get a new mask and supplies to re-start therapy. I'm not too surprised that nasal turbanate surgery did not remove the need for CPAP. Your new sleep study should be sufficient for a prescription renewal. I'd just find a more responsive DME in your insurance plan. So the first stop is to obtain a list of in-network DME suppliers and choose one. Otherwise, dust of your equipment, download #Sleepyhead and let's go.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed was a rental before    I didn't use it long enough to keep it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mogulman,
WELCOME BACK! to the forum.!

Hopefully you will find a DME to help you get started again.
Better luck to you this time around with CPAP therapy,hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
First, call your insurance and obtain a list of DME's that participate in your network, and make
sure you know exactly what your coverage is.

Second, call your ENT. Get a copy of your perscription and sleep study.

Then call the DME and talk to a supervisor or someone in charge.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll check benefits tomorrow. From the list they sent me, it looks like my options are Lincare, Pacific Pulmonary, American Homepatient, and maybe Alpha Sleep Diagnostic centers. Although not sure if Alpha only does equipment for their own diagnostics or outside patients.

It looks like insurance covers 85%, but we will also be at our out of pocket max by Sept or Oct.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you have DME names, start making phone calls and explain your situation.

You can get a feel over the phone how they interact with you and what the timeline would be for obtaining a machine, once they have a script.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mogulman, does your prescription specify auto CPAP or does it have a fixed pressure? The prescription can be very specific or very wide-open in terms of what machine you might get. It's best to have a prescription for auto CPAP, and perhaps to specify the machine you want. Without that information in the Rx you could get a CPAP brick from a DME and it just makes the process harder.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In process of getting my prescription and sleep study. Did find out that I'm covered 85% for equipment and supplies right now for in-network. 65% out of network. Once my out of pocket max is reached in Oct, then it would be covered 100%. The out of pocket max is because my wife is taking an expensive medication that will cause that limit to be reached.. so that is good. I think I'm on my way...Just have to call a few providers and get the prescript...
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2017, 08:37 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Mogulman, does your prescription specify auto CPAP or does it have a fixed pressure?  The prescription can be very specific or very wide-open in terms of what machine you might get.  It's best to have a prescription for auto CPAP, and perhaps to specify the machine you want.  Without that information in the Rx you could get a CPAP brick from a DME and it just makes the process harder.

Hi Mogulman, please take the above quoted advice from Sleeprider very seriously. Having the proper machine makes things so much easier. My brick now sits on the shelf as a backup for the data capable automatic  machine that I bit the bullet and bought out of pocket. It may have already been mentioned but you should obtain and keep copies of any and all sleep studies and perscriptions.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,953 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 196 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 514 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 395 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 539 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.