Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm curious. What was your untreated AHI before you started therapy?
RE: I'm curious. What was your untreated AHI before you started therapy?
70 ahi, oxygen average 76% when on my side and 53% on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2017, 07:47 PM)KiwiGal Wrote: 70 ahi, oxygen average 76% when on my side and 53% on my back.

I forgot mention a few things in my first post.

Didn't get beyond the first two stages of sleep, so no REM sleep and probably none for decades.

My treated ahi results are pretty good. With nasal pillows 2 - 4, other masks - resmed air fit f20 and F&P Eson 2 around 4 - 6 but leak issues. ( I m still trying to find the perfect mask.......a little CPAP humour ?)
I have had two nights with 0.5 ahi which was amazing.(nasal pillows).

I've been on the machine for 48 days now and still feeling pretty sleepy but a different kind of sleepy, not the mind numbing demotivated couch dwelling exhaustion I had before. I'm much more alert and the damned restless legs are gone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a home study done and an AHI of 16, Oxygen level down to 74. The longest OA was 53 seconds, which made a big impression on me, knowing that I can't hold my breath that long if I tried. I wasn't going to agree to sleeping with a mask in my face until I saw the results of that study.
Since I'm on CPAP I have never felt sleepy while driving, when I used to have to fight to keeping my eyes open. Still working on optimizing the therapy, I'm envious when I see people here reporting an AHI of under 1. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
90 something sticks in my head.... I recall my Dr reading me the report saying "You may not be the worst I've ever seen in 20 years but your certainly in the top 5." He had this fun way of explaining stuff, and he was a funny guy. I recall him saying something like this is what it should look like, BUT you were awake, and here's a small 30 second portion where you actually didn't have an event but all the rest is pretty terrible. He was really a good guy, and fun to speak to. He suggested I get a machine, do not pass go, do not collect $200, just get a machine, lol.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
First study in 2015 ... AHI 16.
Second one in 2016 ... AHI 3.2.

I trust the first one.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a UARS type, so my numbers are a little different.

AHI 6, RDI 55-60, O2 was generally low-to-mid 90s with a few desats into the mid-to-low 80's when I did have "real" apnea events. Even though my AHI was low, my rest disruptions were quite high as my body woke up to deal with all the not-quite-apnea events.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI was 65 when I had my initial test about 29 years ago. My current AHI taken from my machine averages about 2.4
Post Reply Post Reply
Overall: 28.1 events per hour
REM sleep: 104 events per hour

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Two tests (one home and one clinic) both showed 35
Now average less than 1.00 using my favorite mask. If I use my spare mask it jumps to mid 2's
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2017, 05:43 AM)Johnboy Wrote: This was a great post which i discovered due to my new found addiction to all things Hosehead.

I am interested in all of the info you guys were given at diagnosis. In the UK i was given an overnight oxymetery meter (end of finger) which i returned the next morning (after worst sleep ever as i was very aware of the reader). 3, yes three, months later i got a letter from the consultant telling me i had OSA, that i would get a CPAP machine in 3 months time, and to stop driving. I was fuming with the letter and eventually got to speak to consultant. All i gleaned from this conversatioj was that my reading was 52. I didnt know enough then to probe this but i assumed that this provided an AHI equivalence of 52. On CPAP (which i am presenrly paying from myself whilst the NHS catches up) i now average around 3 and have no tiredness (although has negatively impacted on my generalised anxiety) but looking forward to getting to those <1 readings many on this forum achieve.

Good to get a comment from the UK.

Most of my dealings with our so called Sleep Department were with what I guess are described as nurses.
The only time I did see a consultant was in desperation having made no progress, I paid to see the consultant privately, £175 down the drain.

The greatest improvement was when I was eventually given a heated hose for the ResMed machine.
I say improvement, but I have never had any of the symptoms so graphically described on the site, and no problems sleeping, so I would say there is little or nothing improve on.

Of course the comment that is often made is "well you must have had a problem in the first instance", well, not really, they were looking at suspected epilepsy which has never really been confirmed and they came up with this.
Doctors and web searches are unable to confirm definitively whether there is any connection between the two.

I look upon the mask I wear 4-5 hours a night as the cross I have to carry in order to get my driving licence returned, considering in my case the treatment to be worthless.

I might also add that while waiting for my licence to be returned (yawn) out of boredom I went off treatment for 7 weeks with no side effects, and clearly I am still alive.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 838 2 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,083 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 176 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,364 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.