Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm new, I'm tired!
I'm new, I'm tired!
I'm so tired I'm not staying focused long enough to process a whole lot of new data/terminology. I have a ResMed S9 Autoset and have been using it about ten days. The last two nights my AHI readings have been 10.2 and last night 14.4. Previous readings were in approx range of 2.

I haven't downloaded software for tracking. I'm running Vista on a laptop. There is an SD card, but I don't have a reader yet. I just became aware today that the data could be dumped into a program for analysis.

I have a nose mask and nose pillow as well as a nose/mouth mask. I like the nose mask, even though I must be moving it on occasion, while sleeping, because a blast of air will startle me awake.

I live in Mexico, do not have a doctor working with me for guidance. My kids told me on their last visit my breathing was sporadic with pauses. They bought the machine and sent it to me. Yes, I'm flying by the seat of my pants....learning as I go.

1. Which software is preferred?
2. Physically, how do I protect the SD card from being overwritten. I've not even looked at it. Maybe there is a tab to slide??
3. Any idea why my AHI readings were doing well for about a week and then spiked the last two nights? I actually feel more exhausted than I did before I started using the ResMed.

Thanks so much for help, advice support.

Barbara
Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm new, I'm tired!
Welcome to the board.

Most laptop PC's have an SD card reader built in.

SleepyHead is good for reading your data. Check the useful links in my signature line at the bottom of this post.

To lock the card, there's a little tab on the side. It should be marked how to lock it, but you slide the tab toward the center of the card to lock it, and towards the edge to unlock.

If you're using Vista, you probably don't need to worry about protecting the data on your SD card. Only Windows 8.1 likes to tinker with the SD card. SleepyHead will not write any data to the card.

You'll need to study your data in more detail to figure out why you're tired. What were your AHI numbers?

Sometimes, people feel tired when they start CPAP even if all is working well. Without CPAP, you're being strangled many times during the night and your body adjusts to it. When you stop the strangulation, your body takes a while to adjust back to normal. It's a bit like stopping smoking, drinking, or drugs.

You may also not be sleeping well until your brain adjusts to being on CPAP.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Hilobarbie, welcome to Apnea Board.

If I understand you, you've started CPAP therapy because your kids noticed your erratic breathing, but you haven't done a sleep test? If this is the case, then the sleep test is the proper place to start. Until this is done, you really don't know if it's apnea or something else entirely which is causing your breathing problems. There are two basic types: a) In-house, where you go to a hospital or clinic and they wire you up and observe you through the night, or b) At-home, where you are provided with a kit of sensors which you use in your own bed, then send back to the sleep doc for analysis. I don't know what might be available in Mexico, but I would be very surprised if there aren't some good sleep labs available.

The S9 Autoset is an excellent machine for obstructive apnea. You can obtain the setup manual here: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual There are hundreds of manuals available, so be careful to read the instructions carefully to get the right one.

CPAP does take some getting used to, and the results will fluctuate until you get into the rhythm of it, so don't be too upset if the AHI goes up and down a bit. Getting a comfortable mask which doesn't leak is at least 80% of the task, but it sounds like you've got a couple to try and see which you like best. One source of leaks (if you're using the nasal mask or pillows) is through your mouth - train yourself to keep your mouth closed or position your tongue to stop the air leaking. The mask can also get pushed off your face (or pulled off by the hose) if you move around a lot in your sleep.

As Archangle said, SleepyHead is the easiest software to use and will give you an excellent overview of your therapy, so download that and see what the numbers and charts show (lots of people here can help you interpret them). Don't be tempted to fiddle with your pressures until you get some trends in Sleepyhead. But most importantly, try to get a sleep test organised so you know that it really is apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you please clarify what your pressure settings are and who set the pressure and how was that pressure determined. Are you using the machine as straight CPAP or are you using it on auto where there is a range of pressure available to you during your sleep.

I agree that you definitely need to look at your data and I agree with the other posters that sleepyhead is the easiest program to use.

I also agree that you need to find out if you have apnea as described in the other posts.

much success to you. everyone will do their best to help you along.
Post Reply Post Reply
yep I don't condone self medication with CPAP machines. It's a bit like taking oxycodone because you have a headache and wondering why you still have the headache or it's worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you had some good nights on the machine, you can probably get back to that by figuring out what is different. The Sleepyhead software is the easiest way to make that comparison and see what is going on. Download from a link on this page and ignore all the Beta warnings. This is a stable good version and will work fine with your machine. http://sleepfiles.com/SH/index.html?TestingVersions Get the 32 bit version as it is easier to setup.

The only reason to lock your SD card is if you are using Windows 8.2. If you are, then the card has a little shutter on the side. Move toward the bottom for unlock, and top to lock (bottom being the side inserted into the reader). Data will help you understand what is going on, and at what pressure events are occurring. If you want to share on the board, take a screen shot of the Daily tab by using your F12 key. The screenshot will be stored in My Documents/Sleepyhead/Screenshots. You can share it as an attachment here. or follow this tutorial http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your opinions and information.

I've downloaded the zip program and the software and it is unzipped. However, it won't open. Disclaimer 1, I'm pushing 70 and my memory sucks. Disclaimer 2, I've been using an IPad for five years and have forgotten how to use laptop software. Crazy, I know. Disclaimer 3, i have major brain fog right now.

Just wanted to let you know I'm working on it and I do appreciate the help.
Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply
I had heard rumor a "Sleep Doc" was now coming to my area once a week. I have an info gathering appt March 9. I know very little other than a person comes to your home and monitors your sleep ...overnight. I can see hell freezing over before I could sleep doing that and the same for a sleep study in a clinical environment.

I have removed the SD card from the unit and know where the SD slot is on my laptop.

Thought I'd mention I live at 5200 ft if that has any bearing.
Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 01:46 PM)Hilobarbie Wrote: Thank you all for your opinions and information.

I've downloaded the zip program and the software and it is unzipped. However, it won't open. Disclaimer 1, I'm pushing 70 and my memory sucks. Disclaimer 2, I've been using an IPad for five years and have forgotten how to use laptop software. Crazy, I know. Disclaimer 3, i have major brain fog right now.

Just wanted to let you know I'm working on it and I do appreciate the help.

Go into the directory with the SleepyHead-BrokenGL.exe file in it. Double click that file. Or right click and select "open."

What happens?

Make sure you extracted the .7z file, not just "opened" it. You should have created a new directory with the files in it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
there isn't a tremendous difference in how CPAP works at 5200 feet than at sea level. I would not worry about that. I hope you can get someone to visit and establish the medical answer to what pressure(s) to use.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 0 6 10 minutes ago
Last Post: liebano
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 60 3 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 194 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,974 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 178 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 134 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.