Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm new and could use some advice.
I'm new and could use some advice.
I'm looking for some advice,if someone would care to share some.

I am pretty sure that I have sleep apnea.Problem is,that I am retired (not a problem there Smile )but I do reside in the Philippines.I asked my Dr about sleep study availability,and he said only in Manila.Manila is a good 6hrs away "on a good day" and that would be an expensive proposition considering the test cost,plus lodging for at least one night.

I realize that I don't know much.But,could a person find the information on his own to run a cpap machine correctly? My Mother was an Apnea sufferer before she passed away,and she had pretty much quit using the machine,so my Sis is sending my her cpap machine to me...along with a new mask and some odds and ends.

So without asking for medical advice,or putting anyone on the spot,could I perhaps get some suggestions?

Thanks.

SIerra
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm new and could use some advice.
Hi Sierra, welcome to the forum.

I suppose the first question is why do you think you have apnea? A good place to start is with the Epworth sleepiness test. This is a simple questionnaire - you can find a copy here: http://web.stanford.edu/~dement/epworth.html If your score is 9 or above, then it's likely you have some form of sleep disorder. Other markers are frequent loud snoring and frequent brief arousals and perhaps gasping for breath during your sleep. You may not be aware of this, but your partner may well notice.

While a sleep test is highly recommended, I realise that circumstances may not allow. As a lower cost option, ask your GP if a home sleep test is available in your area. Failing that - yes, you can use a suitable CPAP machine without a test, and the machine will give a good indication of whether you are having apneas. If you can tell us the exact make and model of the machine, that will help us offer you some targeted advice. Your best option is an auto-titrating machine like the Resmed S9 or A10 Autoset, or the equivalent from other manufacturers such as Philips or Fisher+Paykel. You should also download and install Sleepyhead software http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/ This will read the data from the machine and allow you to identify when apneas and other "events" are happening.

So two things first: 1) Try to get a proper sleep test (at-home test if available) and 2) Tell us the exact make and model of your machine.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SierraMadreMe,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Mr. Breath has good advice for you.

What I will add is this: If you mom used the machine for many years, then it is not too likely it will be very "state of the art." The problem with that is if you are going to navigate these waters yourself, and you certainly can do that, then it would be very nice if you had an Autoset machine. Check out the supplier lists at the top of the page. You can get a good used/reconditioned S9 Autoset at a reasonable price. You will also need an appropriate mask and supplies so continue to research before doing anything.

What you will need is a prescription from your doc. Since no sleep labs are available to you, I'm hoping he will do that. By prescribing an autoset machine, it can be set to help do the titration that you need to find out just what your issues are, and how best to resolve them.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board! What was said above is great advice. Also, if the machine is older and the delivery driver isn't the most careful, then you may not have a pressure accurate machine. You're best bet is trying to obtain a newer machine, and definitely explore other testing options with your doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are home sleep tests available. Check with your GP or check online about this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 09:18 AM)SierraMadreMe Wrote: Manila is a good 6hrs away "on a good day" and that would be an expensive proposition considering the test cost,plus lodging for at least one night.
You won't need lodgings. 6 hrs there day 1, do sleep study day 1 + 2, return home day 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings Sierra,

My sister used my husband's old "brick" (no data card, just hours used) for a few months until her APAP arrived from the supplier. So, yes - a CPAP/APAP/XPAP can be set up and used without a sleep study; but it is FAR from ideal. We guessed at the pressure my sister needed, she used it for a week, we talked her through adjusting the pressure higher, she used it for another week and adjusted it higher.

It is very important to wait about a week between changing the settings, so the body can adjust to the new pressure.

Not everyone can use a home study, but you might be able to. My sister tried 3 times and the Drs kept saying there was not enough data. An in-lab sleep study showed severe sleep apnea.

Best to you in your journey,

Evpraxia
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
http://n2sleepphilippines.com/home/slide-view/services/

this place has homestudy equipment, perhaps they would mail it to you or your doc....
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 09:32 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Sierra, welcome to the forum.

I suppose the first question is why do you think you have apnea? A good place to start is with the Epworth sleepiness test. This is a simple questionnaire - you can find a copy here: (edit for link) If your score is 9 or above, then it's likely you have some form of sleep disorder. Other markers are frequent loud snoring and frequent brief arousals and perhaps gasping for breath during your sleep. You may not be aware of this, but your partner may well notice.

While a sleep test is highly recommended, I realise that circumstances may not allow. As a lower cost option, ask your GP if a home sleep test is available in your area. Failing that - yes, you can use a suitable CPAP machine without a test, and the machine will give a good indication of whether you are having apneas. If you can tell us the exact make and model of the machine, that will help us offer you some targeted advice. Your best option is an auto-titrating machine like the Resmed S9 or A10 Autoset, or the equivalent from other manufacturers such as Philips or Fisher+Paykel. You should also download and install Sleepyhead software (edit for link) This will read the data from the machine and allow you to identify when apneas and other "events" are happening.

So two things first: 1) Try to get a proper sleep test (at-home test if available) and 2) Tell us the exact make and model of your machine.

Good luck!

My apologies for appearing to be late responding,but we here in the Philippines are 12-15 hrs "ahead".My night is your day generally speaking..cept for DeepBreathing who lives in the same hemisphere.

Ok.Thanks for the excellent information DB.Right on the money.I certainly wouldn't just go out and buy a cpap on a whim. Smile The wife informs me that I snore every night,and it shakes the windows.I wake up very often gasping for breath.At first I thought it was related to my COPD (I have a light case),but I am so sleepy ALL the time.I look forward to my afternoon nap every day,and the sooner that comes the better.The Epworth test.I got them all right.Where is my red star?Ha-ha.All kidding aside,I am quite sure that I have a sleep disorder,as I score well over 10.

The machine that my Mother used sparingly is a Philips Respironics REMstar Pro C-Flex +.I also bought a used machine several years ago for a friend here who I thought was a sufferer,but he elected to return to the US.It is a Philips Remstar Auto A-flex.It is packed away in a box.Both units use data cards.

The at-home test is something that sounds doable.I'll have to contact my Dr. and see.I doubt that a prescription is necessary for the test..or even to purchase equip here.There aren't the regulatory hoops to jump thru in this country.

Thank you very kindly for the sound advice.

(04-18-2015, 09:44 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi SierraMadreMe,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you.

Thanks for the welcome Trish.
(04-18-2015, 09:44 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Mr. Breath has good advice for you.

What I will add is this: If you mom used the machine for many years, then it is not too likely it will be very "state of the art." The problem with that is if you are going to navigate these waters yourself, and you certainly can do that, then it would be very nice if you had an Autoset machine. Check out the supplier lists at the top of the page. You can get a good used/reconditioned S9 Autoset at a reasonable price. You will also need an appropriate mask and supplies so continue to research before doing anything.

What you will need is a prescription from your doc. Since no sleep labs are available to you, I'm hoping he will do that. By prescribing an autoset machine, it can be set to help do the titration that you need to find out just what your issues are, and how best to resolve them.

Good advice there.I took my Moms machine because I know that it had little use and should last me for some time.The other problem is the time it takes to get a machine sent here.I could have it shipped courier,but that would be expensive and there would be duty to pay as well.I had a quick look at one of the for sale sites here out of curiosity,and machines range from $300 used,to over $1000 new.

Looks like we have several fellow Oregonians (or PNWesters) here.Sure do miss my Oregon.

(04-18-2015, 10:10 AM)truetopath Wrote: Welcome to the board! What was said above is great advice. Also, if the machine is older and the delivery driver isn't the most careful, then you may not have a pressure accurate machine. You're best bet is trying to obtain a newer machine, and definitely explore other testing options with your doc.

Thanks for the advice as well truetopath.I will be contacting the Sawbones first of the week.

(04-18-2015, 11:00 AM)grannyc Wrote: There are home sleep tests available. Check with your GP or check online about this.

Exactly.Tnaks granny.

(04-18-2015, 11:20 AM)player Wrote:
(04-18-2015, 09:18 AM)SierraMadreMe Wrote: Manila is a good 6hrs away "on a good day" and that would be an expensive proposition considering the test cost,plus lodging for at least one night.
You won't need lodgings. 6 hrs there day 1, do sleep study day 1 + 2, return home day 2.

It's not that I hate Manila.It's that I will do everything in my power to avoid going there SmileMuch better to go to Baguio,but sadly,they don't have testing centers there either.

(04-18-2015, 04:43 PM)Evpraxia Wrote: Greetings Sierra,

My sister used my husband's old "brick" (no data card, just hours used) for a few months until her APAP arrived from the supplier. So, yes - a CPAP/APAP/XPAP can be set up and used without a sleep study; but it is FAR from ideal. We guessed at the pressure my sister needed, she used it for a week, we talked her through adjusting the pressure higher, she used it for another week and adjusted it higher.

It is very important to wait about a week between changing the settings, so the body can adjust to the new pressure.

Not everyone can use a home study, but you might be able to. My sister tried 3 times and the Drs kept saying there was not enough data. An in-lab sleep study showed severe sleep apnea.

Best to you in your journey,

Evpraxia

Thank you Evpraxia.I figure that any machine is better than no machine.Gotta "run what ya brung".(old drag racing term).

(04-18-2015, 05:07 PM)DariaVader Wrote: (edit for link)

this place has homestudy equipment, perhaps they would mail it to you or your doc....

Thank you Daria.I had to have a look at that link right away.That looks to be a very good option.Thank you kindly for the helpful link.

Thanks to all who responded.Every response was/is appreciated.

Sierra

PS.Sorry,but I had to edit all the links that you folks provided in my response,as I don't have the post count to include links (and that includes quotes of links evidently) Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 169 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,449 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 325 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 455 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 278 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,014 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 181 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.