Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm no Hydrologist [Tap vs Distilled]
RE: I'm no Hydrologist
Yes, I'm going to start using tap water as soon as I go thru the distilled water I have on hand.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can drink your tap water...
If you have tap water that isn't leaving brown iron stains on the sinks...
If you have tap water that doesn't smell from the iron and other deposits...
If you have tap water that doesn't leave A LOT of white spots on the glasses after they dry...

Then you can use tap water in your machine.

If you do see white deposits on the bottom, just rinse with a wee bit of vinegar and the rest water. Let is soak, then scrub lightly with an old toothbrush or fingernail brush. I rinse mine with vinegar and water about once a month or so. I have a spring so the mineral amount is slightly high but not iron, thank gawd! Because I don't use "city" water, I use bottled water when I travel just because I can smell the chlorine.

The main (and probably only) concern about using tap water is the deposits left behind. I believe the theory is the mineral deposits can cause the heating element to heat unevenly or some such stuff. Some theorize that the bumpy, lumpy deposits give places for crap to grow. Really, if the humidifier is that cruddy, gross.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm no Hydrologist [Tap vs Distilled]
I empty the reservoir each & every morning. I give it a good wipe down with some tissue and then let it air dry for a couple of hours. 

Doing that, I don't think I'll have any issues with mineral deposits.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've finally switched to tap water. I still use distilled for my brother because his gets topped off when I'm not available and I don't want to give my mom more work.

There are only a couple of times that I could not use tap - in the Spring, or during algae bloom, there is a stronger odor that is bleach-like, and when they flush waterlines twice a year. If you get any buildup, just use a little lemon juice or vinegar and let it soak for 10 minutes. Typically everything comes out the first time. My late brother had very hard water - the only time I ever had any kind of bulidup. However, it takes a long time to get that, if you are empyting and rinsing every day, if ever.

FWIW, you might consider saving one of those gallons in case you very ill (flu? Bad foot?, Knee injury?) and don't want to make the trip to the bathroom just to clean out your humidifier bin. However, it sortof depends on how far away your bathroom is. Mine is on the opposite side of the house from my bedroom.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2018, 03:04 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I've finally switched to tap water.  I still use distilled for my brother because his gets topped off when I'm not available and I don't want to give my mom more work.

There are only a couple of times that I could not use tap - in the Spring, or during algae bloom, there is a stronger odor that is bleach-like, and when they flush waterlines twice a year. If you get any buildup, just use a little lemon juice or vinegar and let it soak for 10 minutes. Typically everything comes out the first time. My late brother had very hard water - the only time I ever had any kind of bulidup.  However, it takes a long time to get that, if you are empyting and rinsing every day, if ever.

FWIW, you might consider saving one of those gallons in case you very ill (flu? Bad foot?, Knee injury?) and don't want to make the trip to the bathroom just to clean out your humidifier bin.  However, it sortof depends on how far away your bathroom is.  Mine is on the opposite side of the house from my bedroom.

Thanks for the reply. Our bathroom is only about 5 or 6 steps away from the bed. I'll keep a gallon of distilled water on hand, just in case. 

Since I do empty the water reservoir everyday like clockwork, I'm not expecting any issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you do keep a jug of distilled water on hand, put the date on it and exchange it in 6mos. Much much less if it has been opened. We keep jugs of water on hand for when the power goes out (which means no pump from reservoir to house). We change it every 6mos and store it where it isn't in total dark but not in full sun, either.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2018, 03:57 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Yes, I'm going to start using tap water as soon as I go thru the distilled water I have on hand.

When you empty a bottle, you could always fill it with tap water and make the wife think you're using distilled.  Big Grin Big Grin
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like using the distilled water. I get mine at Kroger for cheap and a jug lasts a couple of weeks. I will use tap water when I forget to get some distilled while grocery shopping. I have never had mineral deposits in the tub using both types of water. For me, it's a matter of convenience. My night stand has a large cabinet opening and a 1 gallon jug fits nicely. I wash all equipment on Sundays. No issues. My insurance picks up the costs on a new tub every six months but I've yet to replace one.

There was one instance when I donated a machine to this guy down the road in a different town. His machine stopped working and he brought me the machine so I could diagnose it. He never changed his water or rinsed the tub out. It was disgusting. The point is, no matter what water type, cleaning your equipment is necessary.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
I have used tap water when I was out of distilled or I forgot to take some when I stayed at in-laws. But our water here is so chlorinated it smells like a swimming pool some days. Can’t stand it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can collect a cooking pot of tap water and let it sit atop the stove or counter over night.  Give it a stir once or twice to help the chlorine to get exposure to the surface.  The gas will dissipate soon and the water will lose the unappealing smell.  

This was a trick passed on by the nice folks who sold u-brew beer kits.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] ResMed A10 small particles in distilled water in humidifier tank GuitarRebel 24 4,943 08-29-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  New User: change distilled water daily? rebean 18 1,654 06-26-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: ppca
  Distilled vs. purified water Rcgop 21 2,063 10-29-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  Distilled water vs demineralised water BHappy 44 16,879 04-29-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Distilled Water mogulman 24 2,404 04-03-2022, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare ,cpap and distilled water for humidifier car54 40 6,566 02-03-2022, 02:11 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir
  [Health] Distilled water storage Kafka82 14 1,591 02-02-2022, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.